Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Leg bending control?

New Here ,
May 10, 2019 May 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

To whom this may concern, I hope you're well.

I'd like to find out if there is a way to control how the legs of a puppet bend? Once my puppet starts walking the legs bend back to much and only straightens out to about 160 degrees while busy walking and only straightens once the walking cycle ends. It's best seen on the leg moving to the front for a new step, instead of going straight for the step it says bent backwards. See an example frame below:

Victor Side - Walking.052.png

I tried fiddling with the rigging structure to see whether it sorts the problem but with no luck. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, please.

Kind regards,
Roann

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 10, 2019 May 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Walk behavior, there are some properties like strength that control how far the legs move. Have you tried adjusting these properties?  But the walk behavior sort of takes over. You don’t get complete control. Moving things like the handle positions, hips and waist etc can all help.

You could look at existing example puppets if you think they walk better - try to see what you have done differently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2019 May 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the response, much appreciated!

I tried the different properties in the walk behaviour settings and it does help to an extent by making it less obvious.

I'll examine an example puppet to see if I did something wrong. I followed a recent walking tutorial video by Okay Samurai and rigged it the same as on the video but with different results. I have another puppet with the same problem. They are being used for the same animation so they have the same design features which make me think that it might be a design related problem.

Gonna keep shaking the bush until the cat jumps out.

Once again, many thanks for the advice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines