• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Memory leak? Ch crashed and said system out of memory, now project won't reopen

Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uh oh. So, on Friday I was working in Character Animator and my system gave a memory error, asking me to Force Quit some programs.

Now, the project I was working on at the time won't reopen, and I'm getting the following error:

Internal error code: (1033274218:1107+33) libgit2 error -3 (9/Object not found - no match for id (09c0b747099668926e7b0fce006e83d96f6d0c7d)) returned from git_blob_lookup(&blob.p, repoP.get(), &blobOid)

It would be a gigantic bummer if I can't recover this project, as I'd put in a lot of time rigging my puppet with multiple head turn positions, body turns, Dangles, etc. So any suggestions or assistance is desperately welcome! Thank you.

Also, memory really shouldn't be an issue for my machine unless there's a leak. My system specs are pretty robust.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)

3.2 GHz Intel Core i5

24 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon R9 M390 2048 MB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

That ID stuff usually shows up if it can't find a specific file to run the project. Did you recently move or rename any files? Or are your files in a backup folder like Dropbox? If so there are a couple of existing bugs around those two. If it's possible to name everything back to its original setting or keep things in desktop folders, that might help.

If you're able to open the project at all, go to Window > History and roll back changes - usually there's a sync or something that is the culprit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That ID stuff usually shows up if it can't find a specific file to run the project. Did you recently move or rename any files? Or are your files in a backup folder like Dropbox? If so there are a couple of existing bugs around those two. If it's possible to name everything back to its original setting or keep things in desktop folders, that might help.

If you're able to open the project at all, go to Window > History and roll back changes - usually there's a sync or something that is the culprit of where things went wrong.

The memory message seems strange given your specs - is the character you're working on super complex or a large file size? Can you open other template characters okay, like the default blue guy?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The files are indeed on Dropbox. The folder structure may have changed over the weekend, which would certainly explain the error when trying to open the project. Are there other Dropbox-related bugs I should be aware of?

As for the memory leak/issue: my character is semi-complex I guess, but I wouldn't imagine it's more complex than some of the examples you've showcased in your video series. I do basically replicate the whole puppet (body + head + hair behind head) 5x for turns, and I have 10 individual hair pieces that each have a dangle on them (so 50 pieces dangling in total, but only 10 at any given time).

Is that over-taxing to Ch at this point?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Dropbox issue is this - CH makes like thousands of files, both temp and permanent, that live in your Ch Data folder. Those can change often, and all it takes is one sync error or old version on Dropbox (or any cloud service) for there to be something out of sync and cause an error. So in your case there was probably some file 3 levels deep in a weird folder somewhere that didn't save or sync correctly. We're working on solutions to this but for now your best bet is to keep it local if possible.

Head turns + physics can definitely push things - it can be processor intensive with that many realtime calculations going on. If you can get the project to open, one thing you may want to do is hide the Dangle behavior in your scene (eyeball toggle) to speed things up when rigging, then turn it on when streaming/recording. Like my Ramirez character is similar, with head turns and lots of hair/horn dangle - and he takes a while to load and can have sluggish performance. We're working on speed issues for the future, but for now yeah - you might be starting to push the limits of what we can do. Reducing the number of dangle handles should help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really good stuff oksamurai, thanks. Would I be safe(r) if I worked on a local copy while in Ch, but pushed the whole folder containing the project up to Dropbox at the end of the day (so I can then pull it down on another computer at night)?

I'm guessing as long as I'm not working directly out of the Dropbox folder, I should be safe sync-wise.

And as for the hair, how much of a performance difference would it make if I reduced the hair strands from 10 per view to, say, 3? I could group the hairs into 3 different layers and dangle them, and would get probably 80% of the visual effect I'm getting now, if I spread the hairs out through the 3 layers.

Would 3 dangled elements (per 5 views) be significantly more efficient than 10?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dealing with anything Dropbox / cloud saved is going to currently be risky with those mega Ch Data folders. You can do it, but I'd always save a backup local copy just to be safe.

Yes, 3 dangles will definitely be more efficient than 10 - that seems like it's worth a shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I have to be able to work on my project from two different computers and I don't want to carry around a USB stick like it's 2005, so I may have to risk the cloud and just always work from a local copy.   I'll make sure to copy instead of move between local & Dropbox though so I can always fall back to the last "session" of my local copy.

Thanks man.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2019 Feb 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Im having the same problem. I have been leaving all of my data in iCloud so that I can access it from either computer.

Just before my main computer hard drive failed to mount I was getting the same error code. The only file that I can remember deleting around were old copies I made of .proj files & photoshop images. On top of iCloud I was alway used to backing up my files manually each time i made major changes because I've learnt the hard way.

Now my computer is in for repairs I opened CH from my laptop with all the same data shared. this time instead of seeing the error I see an old version of my project from a couple of months when i last used it. I tried reinstalling 2018 addition but no changes. When I installed 2019 i got the same error again.

So it looks like the 2018 can only see old data and 2019 is having the original problem finding all the files.

How can I know what has changed. Ive tried installing all of my adobe files from the time machine before the issues but still not working.

Also where am i looking for this that you mentioned? Its not in CH. Window > History and roll back changes

Thanks,

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines