• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Midi Setup?

New Here ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to use an app on my phone as a midi device for Character Animator. My Mac recognizes it, the problem is Character Animator is not listed on the audio devices panel on the left. Just Encore and Premiere are listed. Should it be listed or is there another way to connect it? Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

CH only recognizes midi signals from either an actual external midi controller, or a virtual midi device. When using a virtual midi device the app has to export to a virtual midi port that CH can see. Usually this requires another app such as LoopBe1, which provides the virtual midi in/out port.

What is the app on your phone being used to generate the midi signal? Does it have a midi setup or menu that shows the midi out port? Have you tried whether any other apps that use midi input can see your

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you trying to achieve? MIDI is a protocol for sending things like note on/off events, volume adjustments etc. It is not a audio format. You can use it to control a device that makes audio sounds (like a keyboard or synthesizer). Built into Mac I believe is a simple synthesizer (I am a Windows user!) which can do simple conversion of MIDI notes to sounds.

If you are trying to use an external MIDI device to control Character Animator puppets, that has nothing to do with audio. They basically hijacked the protocol. Each "note" on/off event can fire a trigger on a puppet instead of making a noise. CH seems to watch for all MIDI events, and any bound in the Triggers panel will make the trigger fire.

Hopefully that helps - otherwise can you explain what you are trying to achieve a bit better? Are you trying to feed in Audio into CH as music? Or are you trying to use MIDI to control a CH puppet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CH only recognizes midi signals from either an actual external midi controller, or a virtual midi device. When using a virtual midi device the app has to export to a virtual midi port that CH can see. Usually this requires another app such as LoopBe1, which provides the virtual midi in/out port.

What is the app on your phone being used to generate the midi signal? Does it have a midi setup or menu that shows the midi out port? Have you tried whether any other apps that use midi input can see your phone midi app signals?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Check out my write up here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/character-animator/character-animator-ableton-live-bome-s-midi-transl...

I'm using a PC but you can find a MIDI translator service for Mac that takes the midi from your DAW and sends it to Character Animator. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines