Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No Aternative Mouth Movement with Headturns

New Here ,
Jul 04, 2019 Jul 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone!

Hopefully you can help.  I have a puppet with frontal, Left Quarter and Right Quarter heads.

The Regular Mouth and alternative mouths only work (with lipsync) in frontal.

When the head is turned left or right, only the Neutral state of the alternative set is shown, however the lips don't move.

I have a swap set setup which has the regular mouth set and the sadset (sad mouth set) for all three views.

The trigger works to initiate them all, however the lipsync does not seem to move the alternative mouth in left and right, only front view.

I followed this video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzYJbZYhxmk

Which is how I got the profile sadset to work, and I repeated the steps for the sadsets of the other heads, but still no dice.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 05, 2019 Jul 05, 2019

Have a look at the Face (or is it LipSync) behavior. There should be ‘Views’ or ‘Handles” (sorry, not at computer to look) which shows how the different visemes have bound to different layers. Check which layers it has successfully bound to.

Things to try - add a behavior per profile to make sure everything in that profile is picked up - some behaviors don’t find all matches (although I think this is less likely to be the problem in your case). That is what looking at views/handles will hopefully

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jul 05, 2019 Jul 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look at the Face (or is it LipSync) behavior. There should be ‘Views’ or ‘Handles” (sorry, not at computer to look) which shows how the different visemes have bound to different layers. Check which layers it has successfully bound to.

Things to try - add a behavior per profile to make sure everything in that profile is picked up - some behaviors don’t find all matches (although I think this is less likely to be the problem in your case). That is what looking at views/handles will hopefully reveal.

I don’t think the swap set structure will affect what gets bound to, but the layer hierarchy can. E.g. if alternatives are nested in the wrong place it might miss them. A screen shot of the full rigging hierarchy expanded of all the layers in the Mouth area could help (Not just the swap sets). It sounds like you have swap sets under control - its just the viseme binding that is playing up?

Personally I normally have the normal and alternative mouth sets as siblings under a Head layer. Your structure was as bit different. Not wrong, but if you run out of other ideas what I personally do is:

- profile (a lie - I don’t use profiles! 😉

- - Head

- - - Gobs (not using “Mouth” to avoid auto tagging 😉

- - - - Normal Gob

- - - - - Normal Mouth

- - - - - - Surprised (some emotions go here)

- - - - - - Ah

- - - - - - Oooh etc

- - - - - Normal Shocked (other emotions are siblings to the normal mouth

- - - - - Normal Confused

- - - - Sad Gob

- - - - - Sad Mouth

- - - - - - Surprised

- - - - - - Ah

- - - - - - etc (visemes)

- - - - - Sad Shocked

That way I can have a swap set under Gobs based on expression (normal, the default, Sad, etc). Within each emotion I then have another swap set for standard vs non standard expressions. Under the standard expressions I put all the visemes.

I am not saying this is better than the video - just sharing what I normally do these days. Your hierarchy you said works but felt like alternatives were “different”. I just like standard structure that everything follows rather than having a different part of the hierarchy for “alternatives”.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2019 Jul 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks so much, this definitely helped, I was able to look in the lipsync behavior and look at the handles in puppet panel to see what it was picking up and what it wasn't. I now have it working correctly 😃 Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines