• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Please help! My character file will not open when I transfered it from another computer.

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2019 Oct 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting this error message: Unable to open project “/Users/name/Desktop/Character Animator Project 4/Ch Data/repo.noindex/”. If it is located on a server, copy it to a local drive and open it from there. This seems to have a simple solution. I just don't know whats wrong. And don't give me any programming advice because I'm not a programmer. 

TOPICS
Dynamic link , FAQ , Feature requests , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 28, 2019 Oct 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might be a question more for the support team, but is there some way you can check all the files got completely copied over? Are the files the same length for example?

Or perhaps the file permissions are not correct? E.g. the files are owned by the wrong user so you cannot write to them?

The "repo.noindex" directory holds the core files of the project. That is where the heart of the project information is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm encountering the same problem. I believe the problem resulted from me renaming the folder that contains the .chproj file, Ch Data folder and Ch Media folders. Ever since I renamed the folder, I get the same error as mentioned above. I have tried changing the name of the folder back to its original name, but the error continues.

Could you please let me know how you resolved this issue?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 08, 2020 May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show the directory structure you have now? I thought it was meant to use relative paths, so renaming the top directory should not cause a problem. But if things got moved around in the directory tree then it could cause problems. Can you show finder/explorer with some directories expanded? Want to understand the directory structure where files are to see if can spot the problem. (More advanced problems might need the Adobe team to help.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 08, 2020 May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my directory structure is:

/users/myname/Creative Cloud Files/Projects/CurrentProject/Character Animator/Name of Animation/

I believe the error began when I changed the name of the CurrentProject folder. The Name of Animation folder contains the .chproj file as well as the Ch Data and Ch Media folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 09, 2020 May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything sounds like most likely okay - nothing else really comes to mind. The reason for the message about moving it to a local disk is CH is trying to lock the files to stop anyone else modifying them. But some network file systems do not support locking. Running antivirus or cloud sync can result in the same problem.

I assume you have checked the path name to the file it showed to make sure it existed?  You have not changed the file permissions have you? I am just trying to think of any reason that CH would fail to lock the files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have checked the path names and everything exists, and the file permissions remain the same.

Since I am pretty sure the error was caused by changing the name of the folder containing the whole project, is there somewhere in one of the source files that specifies folder locations. Is there a way to update manually?

Any other thoughts, or is there a way that I can reach out to the Adobe team?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you’re willing to zip up the whole Name of Animation folder and share it with me, we'll take a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, how would you like me to share it?

(not posting on public forum)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can click on my name or icon, and then click Send a message, and send me an Adobe CC Files link, Dropbox link, or any other file transfer service link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have the exact same problem, please, could you help me? I have lost weeks of work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem here.

any update on this? don't know how to fix 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post your problem here: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you follow the process CoSA_DaveS lists above we may be able to help. You can DM him or myself with the complete zipped file as a shared link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines