Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dynamic Shapes

New Here ,
Dec 27, 2015 Dec 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I am wanting to create a program for drawing simple dynamic shapes similar to Microsoft Visio, where there would be a grid background and several dynamic shapes that would be scale - able.

can any please advise the best course to follow and what applications I should use to create this.

many thanks Michael

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 29, 2015 Dec 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope you're pretty good at math. Either way you can get quite a bit done using existing JavaScript/Canvas libraries like these two:

Paper.js — Examples

Raphaël—JavaScript Library

They have a lot of automation in them. Take a good look at some of their examples (especially paper) and notice how rather simple the source code is. YMMV but this kind of thing is a very simple thing to do in Flash, however I expect you'll want it to work on mobile devices, so expect a bit of an uphill learning curve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2015 Dec 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see they are very complex I am looking for something like Visio, simple rectangle, circle, eclipse etc scale-able

and thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 03, 2016 Jan 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With so many apps already available, why re-invent the wheel?

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2016 Jan 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi Nancy,

I am wanting to develop a program, not buy it, thought there may have been something out there that I could use as a template, rather than start from scratch, using Visual Basic.

thanks anyway.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 04, 2016 Jan 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Visual Basic? Never would have guessed that.

I think Google is going to be your best friend for this because Visual Basic is going to rely on an extension. GDI+ is integrated into .NET (I've used it in C#) and can "draw" shapes for you but again this is all going to be code-based. Here's a page on GDI+:

Vector Graphics Overview

I hope you find something that has the drawing part finished for you, perhaps an open source drawing project done in VB.NET that you can make use of. But this topic is not at all simple. You will be handling a lot of code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines