• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

EVM credit card October deadline

Guru ,
Sep 22, 2015 Sep 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On October 1, in the US, card present credit card transactions wherein the card has an embedded chip will shift credit card fraud liability from the banks and credit card providers to the merchant if the merchant does not process the card via the EVM technology. Liability can also go to the application developer.

My clients process payments through my web application face to face using a simple card swiper. Transactions are processed through authorize.net. However, authorize.net has not yet updated it's API for processing EVM cards. I have one client freaking out about the upcoming liability change, but there is not anything I can do until Authorize.net gets it's act together. Of course it will take me time and expense to revise my code to support the new cards.I will have to purchase a few EVM card readers for testing.

Is anyone else dealing with the same thing now?

I will be able to pass the expense of the code upgrade to my clients, but what annoys me is that authorize.net isn't ready, but I'm the one who take the heat from my clients for it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't do face-to-face CC transactions so I'm off the hook on this one.  But from past experience when technology hasn't caught up to mandatory regs, things often get pushed back until it's doable.  October 1 is only 9 days away.  Probably not sufficient time to implement this across the nation. 

AFAIK, I don't have chipped cards yet.  But magnetic strips are not being phased out entirely.  New cards will have both chips and magnetic strips.   I don't think my local ATMs have EVM readers yet either. Hmmmmm...

Chip Credit Cards Are Coming to the USA: Here’s What You Need to Know

"If you have a credit card, you’ll probably get a replacement with a chip at some point soon. The entire country won’t switch to chip cards by October 1, but retailers and banks that don’t will assume more financial liability."

[whatever THAT means] 

Nancy O.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFAIK, I don't have chipped cards yet

I don't either. The chipped cards have a gold digital-looking block on them.

But even small retailers are prepared for the new technology.

The law goes into effect on Oct 1, making application developers liable for compliance on that date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 23, 2015 Sep 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy~ They did mention this blurb below what you quoted which relaxes me a bit:

This doesn’t affect your own personal liability — if your bank doesn’t issue you a credit card with a PIN before October 1, they’re assuming liability. That’s their problem, not yours. These details are all between retailers, banks, Visa, and Mastercard.

I don't like to assume but if a small bank isn't ready to hand all business clients the same technology in any of their readers or SaaS systems then I... assume.. the same is true.

I never put anything by a bank..

Rob~ I know you're more than used to being in that position. It's also your fault when the app doesn't auto-support retinal scans FYI. Better get started on DNA sequencing strategies now..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Sep 23, 2015 Sep 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know you're more than used to being in that position.

Well, we all make a certain amount of our income from the fact that the internet changes, so clients suddenly need something they didn't even know about a year ago.

Authorize.net sent me a link to new documentation for their EMV support, but it was not very good documentation. I wish I could wait six months for the dust to settle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 24, 2015 Sep 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My company makes it clear to all clients that everything has a period of free support. After that, yes, the clock goes on.

If you google it, most are calling this a very 'soft' date with the full expected change over time to be 2-3 years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines