Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ExternalObject not loading on Windows

New Here ,
May 15, 2016 May 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Weird issue...   I've built an ExternalObject library for Windows and Mac to be loaded from InDesign ExtendScript.   It's using the curl library to do some https access from a remote server.

Anyway, works great on MY machine in Windows and Mac.  I can't get it to load on other machines in Mac.    Even with ExternalObject.log = true, all it says is "ExtObj: load error!".

I've tried several versions of ID, all the way back to ID 6, and CC2015.  (Works on all of the above on my PC).

My PC is Windows 10 32bit running on a VM on my Mac.   Other machines I've tried this on have been a Windows 10 PC (64 bit), and on another Mac VM Windows 10 32 bit.

My first suspicion is that there is a missing DLL dependency.  I've used dumpbin to review the dependent DLL's and they all seem to be present.  I wrote a stub program that loads the DLL library and calls a function and that functions on all platforms - so it's able to load the DLL and dependencies that way - just not via ID.

I've built the DLL using Visual Studio 2015 community edition.

I'm quickly running out of ideas on other things to check....

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever get this solved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump, has anyone figured out why this could be happening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I did managed to get this solved with the help of a C++ developer.

I think the issue was 64-bit vs. 32-bit and the fact that you have to have separate binaries (the binary having dependencies might have been an issue at some point as well).

The important thing to understand is that the bit-amount is set by the host application, not the machine. So if you have a 64-bit machine/OS, but you run your script from ESTK, you need the 32-bit version because ESTK is 32-bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines