• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

jQuery Success or Fail response help needed.

Contributor ,
Jul 07, 2018 Jul 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have an html page that send out a jQuery post to a php PDO page to query the db with a select statement. The result gets sent back to the HTML page as json_encode....

The result may return an empty result with no records.

I can check for this using count...

if (count($records) > 0) {

$output = [];

foreach ($records as $key=>$record) {

$output[$key]["First"] = $record['First'];

$output[$key]["Last"] = $record['Last'];

//etc.

}else{

$output = [];

//????? How do I create a proper $output[$??] ??? response to send back a failed - empty result to the HTML PAGE?

}

print_r (json_encode($output));

Thanks in advance - Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 07, 2018 Jul 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your else block:

$output = 'No results found';

In your jQuery, check whether the response == 'No results found'. If it is, display that. Otherwise, process the results as normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 10, 2018 Jul 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is there a reason you're using print_r? If you want to inspect it yourself you can use a JSON prettyify formatter argument like (PHP 5.4+): json_encode( $output, JSON_PRETTY_PRINT ). Using print_r is going to invalidate the JSON to any API, but I suspect you're just investigating the results yourself. Consider grabbing one of the many JSON extensions for browsers that automatically allows you to receive and view JSON data in a pretty way instead and work directly with the JSON.

That aside, I always like to send a status on any API endpoints that return data with a predefined set of messages I'll understand on the other end. Every JSON object I send back has a "status" (int), "message" (helpful human info) and/or the "results". That way I'm comparing against a bunch of useful possible "status" that will let me debug the client side much easier.

e.g. Success (code 1):

{

"status": "1",

"message": "success",

"results": [

{

"First": "John",

"Last": "Doe",

},

]

}

I tend to make the status codes constants defined in a global config or modular to the part of the app I'm making, depends on the situation. Either a class for constants or just defining them with regular variables like $_ERROR_NO_RESULTS = -1; so, e.g.:

// response codes

$_ERROR_NO_RESULTS = -1;

// (or bundle)

$_ERROR_NO_RESULTS (object) array( 'status' => -1, 'message' => "error: no results" ) ;

// then later (bundle is easiest)

$response = $_ERROR_NO_RESULTS;

echo json_encode( $response, JSON_PRETTY_PRINT );

No results isn't always an error but if you were expecting some then it just may be.

Over time and as any application grows it should be a centralized thing but making a status has helped me assign a ton of useful errors so I rarely need to look at the PHP, the codes let me know exactly what's going on for each response. Much easier to test against as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines