• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why can I not use GET / PUT checkout with wordpress sites.

Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2015 Nov 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I set up client sites connected through FTP with dreamweaver. But when I do it with wordpress sites, I can not navigate to it on localhost because the database permissions are different, and if I overwrite the wp-config the live site no longer works (I am smart enough to hard copy and config files before I break stuff ). So then I set up a wordpress local host, but when I PUT them to the site, they get lost in some imaginary place and no changes are pushed through. Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 13, 2015 Nov 13, 2015

I figured it out. FYI HERE ARE THE STEPS.
1. Connect to remote server and PULL all files in public_html to your WAMP or MAMP /www folder.

2. AFTER all files are pulled, save a hard copy of wp-config.php somewhere safe.

2. Delete wp-config.php IN THE LOCAL VIEW!

3. Navigate to the wordpress folder in browser, EXAMPLE:    localhost/public_html

4.You will be prompted to set up a new wordpress, when you do, make sure the table prefixes are the same as the remote server prefixes.

5. Import your XML file fr

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Nov 12, 2015 Nov 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WordPress  sites are meant to be managed through their interface.

Those "pages" don't exist until a visitor requests one and the server composes the page from a database.

If you examine the source code of a page you'll see what I mean.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2015 Nov 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I know that, I have built about 7-8 themes. What I am saying is, a client already has wordpress set up through go daddy or some sort. I connect to the ftp by using Dreamweaver GET / PUT. I "get" all the files, I can not run locally on my WAMP because wordpress wp-config is built for go-daddy or Network Solutions or whoever is hosting. There should to be a way to set up a testing server, through WAMP, for "pulled" wordpress sites. I know how wordpress works hahah.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK

Try posting here

Coding Corner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if I overwrite the wp-config the live site no longer works

I'm scratching my head and wonder why you don't simply not overwrite the file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, the client has already set up wordpress. I get the files, with that comes the wp-config. Which has the encryption for the password for the remote server in it already. I can not copy the encryption to the WAMP localhost. So I change it, then localhost wordpress says that is CAN connect to the database, BUT, there is an error elsewhere. SO, I have a brand new version of wordpress installed, I import the clients wordpress files, I can work with it like that, BUT when I try to push to the remote server, it does nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can work with the import/export files option, that is fine, but I was wondering if there is an easy way to use GET / PULL with WAMP. That is all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured it out. FYI HERE ARE THE STEPS.
1. Connect to remote server and PULL all files in public_html to your WAMP or MAMP /www folder.

2. AFTER all files are pulled, save a hard copy of wp-config.php somewhere safe.

2. Delete wp-config.php IN THE LOCAL VIEW!

3. Navigate to the wordpress folder in browser, EXAMPLE:    localhost/public_html

4.You will be prompted to set up a new wordpress, when you do, make sure the table prefixes are the same as the remote server prefixes.

5. Import your XML file from the Wordpress on the remote server.

6. ENJOY.

Word of caution, when you are working on your theme on your local view, and PUT the files to the server, make sure you NEVER say yes to including dependent files, you run the chance of overwriting the remote wp-config and if you did not save a copy you can not get back into it. Have a great day everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you got it sorted out.

If you can set the permissions of the remote config file so that the FTP user cannot write to it, that would keep it from being accidentally overwritten by the local copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

True, but, doing a write-up on how to do that for every hosting provider would be out of the scope of this forum, I think I will do an in depth one on my blog in the coming week. But for now, here is a band-aid for the issue hahaha.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines