Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

accdb with CF9 under Win2008 R2 64bit

Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2012 Jan 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I have a accdb designed with Access 2010 64bit.

I am running CF9 under Win2008 R2 64bit.

I have also installed http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=13255

I have now googled and tried some dozen tricks to get this combination work:

until now - no way!

Does anybody succeed to to so and is there somewhere a description?

Thanx for help - Didi

TOPICS
Database access

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 13, 2012 Feb 13, 2012

OK. That was that then. Let's move on.

I do believe our hopes now lie with JDBC. Since ColdFusion is a Java application, finding a 32-bit and 64-bit JDBC driver for MS Access will help many developers.

My search brought me to HXTT's JDBC driver for MS Access. The only problem is, I couldn't tell whether their driver is for 32-bit or 64-bit Access. Could it (hopefully) be universal, automatically detecting the system? 

(After the customary virus scan) I unpacked their access.zip file, copied the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2012 Mar 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ HXTT Support: are you still with us?

As instructed by BKBK I installed the driver-library to

"C:\ColdFusion\lib\Access_JDBC40.jar"

However, when I replace Access_JDBC40.jar with the newer version Access_JDBC41.jar that was included with the package I received from you, it does not work.

Do I need to configure a different Driver Class or JDBC URL ?

Well, Access_JDBC40.jar works fine for me, but I guess, 41 has some advantages?

-Didi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Well, Access_JDBC40.jar works fine for me, but I guess, 41 has some advantages?

You cannot use Access_JDBC41.jar, since JDBC 41 API is for JDK1.7.X, and your ColdFusion is using JDK1.6.X. Both of Access_JDBC40.jar and Access_JDBC41.jar are released as v5.1 for different JDBC API standard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HXTT Support wrote:

You cannot use Access_JDBC41.jar, since JDBC 41 API is for JDK1.7.X, and your ColdFusion is using JDK1.6.X. Both of Access_JDBC40.jar and Access_JDBC41.jar are released as v5.1 for different JDBC API standard.

Thanx!!!

-Didi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 19, 2012 Jul 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Didi,

For MSAccess in 64-bit CF, you need the 32-bit drivers.

Please follow these exact steps on the Win2008 R2 64bit CF9 machine:

1) Install the 32-bit AccessDatabaseEngine.exe.  Note: If 64-bit AccessDatabaseEngine_x64.exe or any 64-bit MS Office Apps are already installed, then AccessDatabaseEngine.exe must be installed via the command line with the "/passive" argument (ex: AccessDatabaseEngine.exe /passive).

2) Create DSN via CF Admin and ignore this error: "Unable to update the NT registry. Variable DRIVERPATH is undefined."

3) Register a "System DSN" using same name as in Step 2, via 32-bit C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe, and choose this driver: "Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb, *.accdb)"

Thanks,

-Aaron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 22, 2012 Jul 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aaron,

I followed your instructions above however I don't see the MDB db driver (at least that's what I named it when I created it in the SysWOW64)  so how do I make the "MDB" driver show in my CF Administrator DSN dropdown?

Connection verification failed for data source: MBD

java.sql.SQLException: [Macromedia][SequeLink JDBC Driver][ODBC Socket]internal error: Data source name not found and no default driver specified

The root cause was that: java.sql.SQLException: [Macromedia][SequeLink JDBC Driver][ODBC Socket]internal error: Data source name not found and no default driver specified

Thanks,

Daren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 22, 2012 Jul 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Daren,

Step 2 was: 'Register a "System DSN"' (not "User DSN").  And that drop down on "CF Admin > Data sources" displays drivers, not data sources.  Here are the steps to correct the MSAccess/x64CF issue:

1) Open C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe

2) Click the "User DSN" tab

3) Select your data source (which you've named "MDB") and click "Remove"

4) Click the "System DSN" tab

5) Important: If your "MDB" data source exists here as well, then select it and click "Remove"

6) While still on the "System DSN" tab, add the "MDB" data source

Basically, your data source must be deleted from SysWOW64's odbcad32.exe on both the User DSN tab and the System DSN tab.  THEN, once it doesn't exist on either tab, it can be added on the System DSN tab.

Thanks,

-Aaron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 27, 2012 Jul 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aaron,

I'm still having an issue...apparently I'm not smarter than the equipment I'm using. Here's what I did:

1. I opened the C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe and removed my old DSN under the "User DSN" tab
  2. Opened hte "System DSN"
  3. DSN = MBD
  4. System Database I selected "Database“ and mapped it to my MBD.mdb database
  5. Opened CF Administrator
  6. Under "Ädd New Data Source" I typed MDB
  7. Under "Driver" selected "MS Access"
  8. Clicked "Add"
  9. In "Database File" I mapped to my MBD.mdb (still receive error) and received the following error: (Connection verification failed for data source: MBD
    java.sql.SQLException: [Macromedia][SequeLink JDBC Driver][SequeLink Server]Unable to retrieve error message from backend ODBC Driver.
    The root cause was that: java.sql.SQLException: [Macromedia][SequeLink JDBC Driver][SequeLink Server]Unable to retrieve error message from backend ODBC Driver.)

9a. In "System Database File" I mapped to my MBD.mdb (still receive error) and received the same error.

When I go to my CF pages that pull data from the database I receive the following error: [Macromedia][SequeLink JDBC Driver][SequeLink Server]Unable to retrieve error message from backend ODBC Driver.

Any idea what I’m doing wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2017 May 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to bring up this very old thread, but I'm experiencing lots of issues with (I believe) Access Unicode driver.
I've a very old server (windows server 2003) I'm trying to migrate to a new machine (windows server 2012 + iis8.5)

but since some months, data source access works intermittently on the "old" server,

and -oddly enough-, now that I'm setting up the new server, the same issue shows there too!

*intermittently*  >> works "fine" for a few days, than hangs for a full day/ a day and a half

when it works, queries run very slow,

and when it does not work, loading pages hangs browser for ages remaining full blank, sometimes ignoring (?) timeout settings too.

Access data sources in coldfusion fail to update, and sometimes I have to restart the server to load the Data Sources page after "saving" (and modification was not saved).

After making all sort of experiments (...),

and I've come to strongly suspect the access driver is failing somewhat/somewhere,

So I've run into this thread, and tried BKBK suggestion above with the HXTT driver trial version.
It gives me errors - times out (instantly) on "linked" tables on another database,

Importing those tables, gives me odd errors with syntax (which had been working just fine so far with the unicode driver).

But the quickness of error responses is so encouraging I'm wishing to understand what might be wrong,
and if I could tweak something to use this driver with success.

I see this solution worked flawlessly here in at least two cases - but it was a different CF version,

so perhaps something, somewhere has changed?
Should I make some modification to make this work on my environment?

Thank you very much for any input you may give

(and yes, I'm already planning on switching to other databases,

but I now need a quick "patch" solution to have at least one working server

and give me time to perform this task with calm)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 02, 2017 Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fede_ctfd  wrote

Sorry to bring up this very old thread, ...

@fede_ctfd,

You should indeed start a new thread. Five years is a long time in software development. Some of the stuff in this thread may be outdated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2017 Oct 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree, not sure about best practice in this community since I'm rarely active here, sorry

Just as a followup: thanks to HXTT fantastic support I was able to use their powerful driver, issues were mainly due to a particularly "sloppy" syntax used in database queries, the driver was a bit less forgiving, and due to a couple limitations in the "demo" version of the driver. I since purchased the driver and optimized the code, it was a beneficial job for the whole system, needless to say.

Anyway, for any other experiencing same issues with access drivers, like unexplicable connection loss and very very long response times, plus server slowdowns... doublecheck you are not under Dos/DDos attack

I'm happy having found this thread and purchasing the (very fast and solid) HXTT driver,

but in the end it turned out our issue was not with the old driver,

since our problem persisted even after the change, and we finally found out we were under attack...
banning those IPs completely revived our server performances.

(found this out by checking Coldfusion logs, and seeing frequent and continuative access by same IPs in unusual times of day, and doublechecking who those IPs belonged to through online services)

Hope it can help someone else out there struggling same way we did

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2017 Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didi is right on target.  I followed dozens of threads, this summer, to solve MS Access issues with ColdFusion and MS Server. Our old install of MX7 on Sever 2008 worked well with the SysWow64 workaround for ODBC drivers. But, our new 64bit versions of CF Server 2016 and MS Server 2016 would not cooperate.

I tried older JDBC suggestions and the Ucanaccess JDBC driver setup with failed results.  Using the HXTT suggestions by Didi and HTXX support, I have successfully gotten my MS Access data files to work.

Why bother with MS Access?  The multiple threads on just Adobe Forum show a significant number of us needing to use MS Access for a wide range of reasons.  My case,  old dude struggling with SQL conversion and need to get site updated with new software.

Note: this thread contains several HXTT Support suggestions for tweaking a setup. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation