Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

An exception occurred when instantiating a COM object

Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2020 Feb 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't get out of this dead end.
Coldfusion 2016 with all update installed on windows server 2016 (obviuosly 64 bit), 
I can't use a registered 64-bit dll, which instead used with a simple vbs program correctly. The error reported using cfobject is always the same: An exception occurred when instantiating a COM object. The cause of this exception was that: AutomationException: 0x80040154 - Class not registered. I have checked with every tool and the class is registered,
I have granted permission to access
"everyone" the directory where the dll is installed.
I do not know what to do.
Previously the same dll always with coldfusion 2016 (updatet) but on windows server 2012 
worked correctly and I could use it through the cfobject Anyone have any suggestions to give me?

TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Good news.

I've install again all (s.o. included) and now system works fine.

Thank's a lot for suggesttions ..

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please share the ColdFusion code you're using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm afraid but i've not paste code in my previous reply.

this is the one

<cfobject type="com" Action="Create" class="AxSms.Gsm" name="objGsm">

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2020 Feb 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you're confirming that the com object (which fails on 64-bit cf2016 on windows 2016) did work on 64-bit cf2016 on windows 2012, right? And that the com object is completely registered on the new machine, right?

So you're left wondering why it fails. I can't confirm whether a 64-bit com object SHOULD work, but since you feel it did, let's consider more about possible differences between where it did and did not work.  Maybe there's an explanation you're not yet considering. 

First, what is the cf update level of both cf2016's? 

Second, for the cf2016 on the new machine, was there any previous version of cf on that machine? If so, was the migration done on first launch of the admin, to migrate in the old cf version's settings? Or did anyone run the car import of old settings? There are cf logs that can confirm if these happened. It's possible that either of those could have modified the cf jvm.config with that of the previous cf version, thus messing with aspects of how the cf jvm config points to jintegra, which provides the com support.

Those are a couple of things to consider. 

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed cf2016 with update number 13. 
I installed every single update starting from number 7. Unfortunately the server with windows 2012 broke and it was not possible to copy the cf settings to the new one,
but there were no particular settings. On the old server I am sure that the dll was working because the application that uses it was running The server is new (the old one broke), I have no log the disk was illegible and I had no backup, damn ..
I am considering repeating the whole installation from scratch, including the operating system

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good news.

I've install again all (s.o. included) and now system works fine.

Thank's a lot for suggesttions ..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, gianlucam, thanks for offering the update you did later in the week after you reported this issue, and that a CF re-install solved it. You mentioned, "(s.o. included)", and I wonder what you may have meant by that. 

I ask because some other people are facing problems of this sort (on CF2018 and windows server 2019), and it would be helpful to hear anything you may have done that you think could help others facing the situation. That last point about "(s.o. included)" may be significant for their efforts. 🙂

Thanks.

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charlie and all

I having the same issue on two different machine

They both have CF2018 Enterprise

I did everything as I read before without success

An exception occurred when instantiating a COM object.The cause of this exception was that: AutomationException: 0x80040154 - Class not registered

Any clue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have tried to reinstall and still same issue

OS is Windows server 2016

Was working perfectly on a 2012R2

That is very strange

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation