Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Auto scaling in cloud

New Here ,
Jan 13, 2019 Jan 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Team,

Can i set auto scaling for ColdFusion application hosted on PaaS (Azure /GCP). Will the single license purchased work while the server is auto scaled in cloud

Is the above possible on cloud.

Regards

Ashwath Shetty

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My understanding is that the license has legal limitations that would prevent you from freely using auto-scaling in an unlimited fashion in any cloud. But if you knew your upper bound for an auto-scaling pool, you could purchase sufficient licenses for that and you'd be covered.

I am not a lawyer.

Dave Watts, Eidolon LLC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave has stated what I understand is correct.  You have to purchase a license for every instance that you expect to spin-up, you don't get an unlimited ability to spin-up extra loads.  So, you calculate how many users you expect to be using the service, give the instances a limit of the number of people you think can safely use each instance, and purchase that many licenses.

A less expensive alternative is Lucee.  I've been in touch with one of the core Lucee developers, and I was told that the licensing structure for Lucee is different than Adobe's when it comes to being in the cloud.  I do not have any details, but I think you can find them on the Lucee website.

99% (may be an exaggeration, maybe not) of ACF code is compatible with Lucee.  There are a few functions where the behaviour in Lucee is different than the way Adobe implements them.  But the two are mostly compatible.

HTH,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave and Wolf for your prompt reply's.  In any cloud we don't have control on the number of instances it will create once we set the auto scaling configuration. Thus i had added this question. In AWS cloud , CF is available in the market place and they provided auto scaling but in Azure , CF is not part of their market place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In AWS at least, you do have the ability to set upper and lower limits for your auto-scaling pool. And you might want to set them anyway, for reasons other than product licensing.

Dave Watts, Eidolon LLC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation