• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CF-generated Emails Being Marked With Same From Domain In Email Headers

Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a server running CF2018, serving multiple websites.  In CFAdmin, in Mail Server Settings, I have specified the address for our internal email server.  Email generated in this configuration is flowing properly, and has been for years.  What I recently found is that, regardless of the source domain, all emails being passed on to our email server are having the "From" entry in their header file set to the same domain, instead of each email header "From" entry being set to the domain that generated the email.  We are using Exchange 2010 on the internal email server.

How do I reconfigure our environment to address the above issue?  As all sites are sending email through the same channel, via CF, is differentiation even possible?

TOPICS
Connector , Server administration

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The domain part of an e-mail address is, in general, separate from the domain of the e-mail server. The two are often the same, but not always. Is that what you are asking? 

You can verify it for yourself by using the nslookup tool to determine the Mail Exchange (MX) records of a given e-mail address. For example, you could proceed as follows in Windows:

1. Open the Command Prompt (cmd); 
  2.  Type nslookup and press ENTER. You will then see the details of the current server;
  3.  Type set type=mx and press ENTER. 
  4.  Suppose you wish to find the details of the mail server for the e-mail address, bkbk@chello.nl. Then you should type the domain name chello.nl and press ENTER. The MX records of the domain chello.nl will appear. You will see that it is mx.tb.mail.iss.as9143.net, which is different from chello.nl

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BKBK,

Thanks for the information.  What I am trying to figure out is how to get my next hop email server (Exchange 2010 on-premises) to see that emails generated by websites A.com, B.com, and C.com, display "Received: from=A.com", "Received: from=B.com", and "Received: from=C.com" in their headers, and not "Received: from=A.com" in all email headers, regardless of source website.  I know that cfmail provides a way to set an alternative smtp path, which may allow for us to bypass our onsite system, and direct site-specific outbound emails to unique, cloud-based smtp servers.  This, I think, would allow us to have the above desired result, but it seems like that is a lot of work for something that, I think, has probably been addressed in a more elegant way.

Thanks,

Scott

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I ended up addressing the issue by creating a site-specific Send Connector Transport Rule in our Exchange 2010 server.  This rule removes the common Received entry from the header of emails generated by the site I selected.  I plan on adding transport rules for each of the remainig sites, which should address this issue for all sites.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation