• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CF11 services won't restart

Explorer ,
May 28, 2014 May 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLEASE NOTE: the fix for this issue is now in all updates for CF11.  If you are experiencing the same problems identified in this thread, you no longer need to contact Adobe to receive the hotfix.  Simply install any of the updates from within CF Administrator and the hotfix will be automatically included.  You may need to start ColdFusion from the command prompt to get into the CF Adminstrator; but once you have successfully entered the Administrator and installed the update, you should be able to close the command prompt and restart the ColdFusion service successfully. --Carl Von Stetten, Moderator

I have 2 Windows Server 2012r2 boxes that I'm setting up. One is an RDS machine for some Devs to log onto and they other one will be a Production server for running scheduled tasks (separate from our main production server). The issue I've run into is that for some reason Coldfusion11 will no longer restart. If I restart the Server it is fine, but a restart after that it just stalls. I've checked all the logs I can and non show an error except for a Windows Event error that says:

The description for Event ID 261 from source ColdFusion 11 Application Server cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

ColdFusion 11 Application Server

C:\ColdFusion11\cfusion\bin\coldfusionsvc.exe

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

And another that says:

The description for Event ID 263 from source ColdFusion 11 Application Server cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

Note that while the Event IDs are consistant on each respective server, they are different between the 2 servers.

I even tried a reinstall on our RDS machine and during the re-install it wouldn't even start up the service during the install. I had to restart the server to get it to start.

I have nothing installed on the Utilities server and the only thing on the RDS is CF11, CFEclipse, CFBuilder, and SSMS 2014.

Any help would be appreciated as I am under a deadline to get these two servers up and running. I can get any log details needed to get this resolved.

Thanks,

Frank

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 17, 2014 Jun 17, 2014

CFHackJob wrote:

Has anyone else seen or tried this? We don't have a test server to try it on...

Based on the information provided by the you and other users, we have created a hotfix. Please try the following steps:-

1. 1.       Download and rename the hf1100-3776060.123 to hf1100-3776060.jar (This fix was included in CF11 update 1, so if you are on update 1 and above, this hotfix is not required )
  2. 2.       Place this hotfix at the location -- C:\ColdFusion11\cfusion\lib\updates
  3. 3.       Rest

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 10, 2014 Jun 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well Greg, that is a nice workaround. Users can try that.

Apart from that, can you all try starting the CF service from console and share the request.log, stderr-.log and stdout-.logs from ColdFusion11\cfusion\jetty\logs.

Please send them to cfinstal@adobe.com

Regards,

Anit Kumar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully that little workaround will give adobe a way to find the issue. I CANNOT remove internet availability from some of these servers because we actually use it for some automated FTP access. While I can try it and see if it works, this is by far not a long term solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can verify that by blocking coldfusion.exe from accessing the internet, the service starts up. Could it be the check for updates that is causing the delay?    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have verified that by Blocking coldfusion.exe from accessing the IP 192.150.19.110, that the service starts up fine.

If I unblock this IP, it is making a call to: /coldfusion/updates/Mi4xOjEyOlQ6UzoyOjA6Vw== at that IP (I used wireshark to monitor the network traffic).

If I block this IP, this call does not seem to be made. I'm not sure what this call does, but it allows my CF11 instance to start up. It's my first time using Wireshark, so I am not sure what I"m looking at, just that this works (for now). I have blocked it globally on my server for now. Perhaps Anit Kumar Panda can find out what that IP/URL is used for and fix it. I tried calling it locally (not on the server) and it tries to load for a bit then fails.

Edit: I should note that the above IP is for coldfusion.adobe.com (I did a reverse dns lookup). So I think my original assumption a few posts ago that this is related to updates is correct. If you do this, you will likely NOT be able to check for updates from within the CF administrator. I have not verified this yet. I'm just happy that CF is up and running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

greg.hillsdon wrote:

We have an update for you from our organization.  One of our brilliant network experts was able to fix the problem on our servers by blocking those servers ability to browse the internet.  Our production servers already had this blocked and had not been experiencing the issue.  Our development servers however DID have internet browsing capability.  Once that was turned off our CF11 now restarts properly.

thank you for this. This led me to the narrowed workaround I posted above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2014 Jun 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am experiencing this problem on 2012 R2.  coldfusion.adobe.com seems to be unresponsive.  Is there a fix in the works?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2014 Jun 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jgriffiths77 wrote:

I too am experiencing this problem on 2012 R2.  coldfusion.adobe.com seems to be unresponsive.  Is there a fix in the works?

I would just block the Ip address for coldfusion.adobe.com. I don't see any harm in it. The updates within the administrator do not use that Domain name, so you'll still be able to check for updates from within the administrator and upon login to the administrator. I don't know what that check is during the startup, but it doesn't seem to be necessary at all.    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2014 Jun 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blocking this IP didn't have any effect for me.  Can't seem to get the service to start at all.  Logs seem normal....any additional thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jgriffiths77 Make sure you are not just blocking port 80 for that IP. I blocked all traffic going to that IP. Have you tried the suggestion to start it via the command prompt? IF so, it should run to completion. If you are getting the same 12 minute gap, then I would consider installing something to monitor network traffic and see what it is calling.

If it is a local machine, you can just kill your internet connection to see if it is a network issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like it takes around 13 minutes to start.  this is a VM, so I can't kill the connection.  There must be some other workaround?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jgriffiths77, It sounds an awful lot like the issue I had, which blocking that IP did in fact work. Can you say how you blocked that IP? I added a new rule in the Windows Firewall that blocked all outgoing traffic going to IP address 192.150.19.110. This is pretty much all I added to the firewall outbound rule

6-12-2014 10-48-21 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the same approach I took....no dice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My last suggestion is that if you are local to the host machine that holds the VM, you should be able to connect to it locally and turn off the network and still maintain access (I'm not 100% sure on this and even then, my only experience with VMs is Hyper-V on Windows).

The only other thing is to try a network monitor (I used wireShark and winpcap). I would start it up manually and look for any strange traffic at the point that the webSocket console log was made (which is the call just before the failure I believe).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2014 Jun 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm Sir_Meili's workaround by blocking IP 192.150.19.110 allowed the service to start on our server (Win2003R2)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 16, 2014 Jun 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We are analyzing the logs sent by different users and will keep everyone posted about the status.

Regards,

Anit Kumar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2014 Jun 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on the information provided by the you and other users, we have created a hotfix. Please try the following steps:-

1. 1.       Download and rename the hf1100-3776060.123 to hf1100-3776060.jar
  2. 2.       Place this hotfix at the location -- C:\ColdFusion11\cfusion\lib\updates
  3. 3.       Restart the ColdFusion 11 Application Service.

Please let us know if this solves your issue.

Note:- The hotfix is not QE verified. Please confirm the usage in development, before moving into production machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like blocking the IP worked for me too.  Server starts fine on reboot, but still times out when restarting from the services console.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try the fix on production machine and share the results.

Regards,

Anit Kumar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CFHackJob wrote:

1. 1.       Download and rename the hf1100-3776060.123 to hf1100-3776060.jar

Note:- The hotfix is not QE verified. Please confirm the usage in development, before moving into production machine.

I have not received that file. If Anit Kumar Panda wants to send me the file and instructions, I will attempt to do it on one of our machines which are not in production yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please check your email.

Sir_Meili wrote:

I have not received that file. If Anit Kumar Panda wants to send me the file and instructions, I will attempt to do it on one of our machines which are not in production yet.

Regards,

Anit Kumar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CFHackJob wrote:

1. 1.       Download and rename the hf1100-3776060.123 to hf1100-3776060.jar (This fix was included in CF11 update 1, so if you are on update 1 and above, this hotfix is not required )

I installed the update, remove the firewall rule blocking the IP and the services now start up normally.

So, all seems like it is fixed.

Thanks Anit_Kumar!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great. can we have some more confirmations.

Sir_Meili wrote:

I installed the update, remove the firewall rule blocking the IP and the services now start up normally.

So, all seems like it is fixed.

Thanks Anit Kumar Panda!

Regards,

Anit Kumar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is the download? I don't see it on the normal CF hotfix site....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an issue specific hotfix created by us. You will not find it under updates/hotfix section. If you haven't receive the hotfix, then send an email to cfinstal@adobe.com.

Regards,

Anit Kumar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, yes it was attached to the email. Didn't see it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation