Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CF11 to CF2018 Upgrade Errors

Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2020 Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All -

Our company has been trying to upgrade from CF11 to CF2018 Enterprise in a VM on a Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard server, and each time we get over 1100 non-fatal errors, and the final page of the installer has a checkbox that says "I understand that there were errors" rather than "Launch the configuration wizard in the default browser". We are making sure to shut down all ColdFusion services prior to the install as well as the IIS service. After this, we have not been able to open the Administator because the main screen shows a search box that won't submit. (So much for non-fatal errors.) The JQuery files were not writen or were not accessible, the creation of many new folders failed, etc.

Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas? The server does not have access to the internet. Is that required?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2020 Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will say I have not experienced that :-), and I can confirm that I have helped install CF 2018 on Server 2012 many dozens of times, so it's not like "it doesn't work". Whatever is amiss would seem to be unique to you.

Let's clarify something first: you mention "upgrading from cf11 to cf2018" though to be clear, there's no upgrade feature. The new version is installed alongside the old...or let's confirm: when the CF2018 installer asks where to install itself, I hope you're NOT telling it to install itself into the same folder that CF11 was using. You do NOT want to do that.

Assuming you are not doing that, can you confirm if you are experiencing these 1100 errors on the installation (so that they are in the CF install log)? or on doing one of the many CF2018 updates (in which case they would be in the update log)?

And I assume you are saying that you did NOT get to run that "migration wizard" (as you mention), so that you're talking about CF 2018 having its default settings, not any being imported from CF11, right?

Finally, you ask if you need internet access to do the install: you do not. 

Let us know how it goes. And if you would rather have direct help to solve this instead of back and forth over hours or days, there are folks here like myself who can help directly, remotely, on a consulting basis. More at https://cf411.com/ctrouble. Also, Adobe offers free installation support by email at cfinstal@adobe.com.

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for not being more clear.

We are indeed installing CF2018 alongside CF2011. We're installing into the default ColdFusion2018 folder. The errors we're seeing are from the run of the original install file, ColdFusion_2018_WWEJ_win64.exe, and the errors are in the install log:

Installation: Successful with errors.
4622 Successes
1 Warnings
1148 NonFatalErrors
0 FatalErrors

Some  random error examples...

MANY Flexeraak1 related to "directory is corrupted and unreadable"...

Install File: C:\ColdFusion2018\cf_scripts\scripts\ajax\ext\source\dd\Registry.js
Additional Notes: ERROR - Flexeraak1: C:\ColdFusion2018\cf_scripts\scripts\ajax\ext\source\dd\Registry.js (The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable)

MANY errors that don't indicate what the problem was...

Install Directory: C:\ColdFusion2018\cf_scripts\scripts\ajax\ext\source\direct

Oddly, as the following section of the error log shows, "file or directory corrupted" errors are occurring in directories that the installer itself creates, and into which the installer just finished writing other files successfully:

Install File: C:\ColdFusion2018\cf_scripts\scripts\ajax\ext\source\dd\DropZone.js

Install File: C:\ColdFusion2018\cf_scripts\scripts\ajax\ext\source\dd\Registry.js
Additional Notes: ERROR - Flexeraak1: C:\ColdFusion2018\cf_scripts\scripts\ajax\ext\source\dd\Registry.js (The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable)

Install File: C:\ColdFusion2018\cf_scripts\scripts\ajax\ext\source\dd\ScrollManager.js
Additional Notes: ERROR - Flexeraak1: C:\ColdFusion2018\cf_scripts\scripts\ajax\ext\source\dd\ScrollManager.js (The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable)

We did not run a Migration Wizard. It is a straight-ahead install of ColdFusion_2018_WWEJ_win64.exe.

The installation file is one we've have for some time, and have used it on numerous machines with no issues. The install file was copied to the server through RDS, and has the same byte count as the original.

Thanks again for your insights!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something is definitely amiss. Note how the paths look like this:

C:\ColdFusion2018\cf_scripts\scripts\ajax\ext\source\dd\Registry.js

That should be:

C:\ColdFusion2018\cfusion\wwwroot\cf_scripts\scripts\ajax\ext\source\dd\Registry.js

I can't recall any part of the install that asks a question that would impact that. But clearly something has. 

What is the very first error? And is there any reference in the log to the word cfusion? 

And are you running the installer via the normal UI? Or might you be using the silent install? If so, perhaps you have an error in the properties file for that.

Finally, you say you copied the installer to the server using rds. I'll assume you mean a copy/paste in a remote desktop (aka "rdp") connection, as opposed to the cf "RDS" feature that would allow cfbuilder on one machine to connect to the file system of a remote machine, such as could be possible with your existing cf11. 

If we still come up emtpy, it seems you next choice would be to reach out to the cfinstal@adobe.com address and you could point them to this thread for background. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are many of the references to the cfusion folder, in order of their appearance in the log. the dashed separators indicate where entries are not consecutive.

Install Directory:        C:\ColdFusion2018\cfusion\

Install Directory:        C:\ColdFusion2018\cfusion\jetty\

-------------
Make Registry Entry:      Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Install Data\Adobe ColdFusion 2018
                          Value Name: CFMXRoot
                          Value Data: C:\ColdFusion2018\cfusion

Make Registry Entry:      Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Install Data\Adobe ColdFusion 2018
                          Value Name: WebRoot
                          Value Data: C:\ColdFusion2018\cfusion\wwwroot
-------------
Install File:             C:\ColdFusion2018\WEB-INF\cfusion\cache\empty.txt

Install File:             C:\ColdFusion2018\WEB-INF\cfusion\cfx\empty.txt

Install File:             C:\ColdFusion2018\WEB-INF\cfusion\charting\fonts\Arial.fft

-------------
Modify Text File - Single File:   New File C:\ColdFusion2018\cfusion\lib\adminconfig.xml

Move File:                Destination: C:\ColdFusion2018\cfusion\runtime\conf\server.xml.install
-------------
Modify Text File - Single File:   C:\ColdFusion2018\cfusion\runtime\conf\server.xml
-------------
Modify Text File - Single File:   C:\ColdFusion2018\cfusion\bin\jvm.config

Modify Text File - Single File:   C:\ColdFusion2018\cfusion\bin\jvm.config

Modify Text File - Single File:   C:\ColdFusion2018\cfusion\bin\wsproxyconfig_jvm.config
-------------
Execute Command:          C:\Windows\system32\regsvr32.exe /s "C:\ColdFusion2018\cfusion\lib\TypeViewer.dll"
-------------
Modify Text File - Single File:   C:\ColdFusion2018\cfusion\lib\neo-metric.xml
-------------
Move Folder:              Destination: C:\ColdFusion2018\cfusion
-------------
Modify Text File - Single File:   C:\ColdFusion2018\cfusion\lib\neo-dotnet.xml

Modify Text File - Single File:   C:\ColdFusion2018\cfusion\lib\neo-document.xml

These are the first reported errors in the install log, with a few successes beforehand to show context:

Install File:             C:\ColdFusion2018\cf_scripts\scripts\ajax\ext\source\dd\DragZone.js

Install File:             C:\ColdFusion2018\cf_scripts\scripts\ajax\ext\source\dd\DropTarget.js

Install File:             C:\ColdFusion2018\cf_scripts\scripts\ajax\ext\source\dd\DropZone.js

Install File:             C:\ColdFusion2018\cf_scripts\scripts\ajax\ext\source\dd\Registry.js

Install File:             C:\ColdFusion2018\cf_scripts\scripts\ajax\ext\source\dd\ScrollManager.js
                          Additional Notes: ERROR - Flexeraak1: C:\ColdFusion2018\cf_scripts\scripts\ajax\ext\source\dd\ScrollManager.js (The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable)

Install File:             C:\ColdFusion2018\cf_scripts\scripts\ajax\ext\source\dd\StatusProxy.js
                          Additional Notes: ERROR - Flexeraak1: C:\ColdFusion2018\cf_scripts\scripts\ajax\ext\source\dd\StatusProxy.js (The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable)

Install File:             C:\ColdFusion2018\cf_scripts\scripts\ajax\ext\source\debug.js
                          Additional Notes: ERROR - Flexeraak1: C:\ColdFusion2018\cf_scripts\scripts\ajax\ext\source\debug.js (The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable)

Install Directory:        C:\ColdFusion2018\cf_scripts\scripts\ajax\ext\source\direct

We ran the installer by right-clicking the file and choosing "run as administrator". 

We also tried to execute it from the command line, with the same or worse results.

Sorry again... I meant to say RDP, not RDS.It was a simple copy from my local file explorer to the remote file explorer through RDP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Rimshot,

The installer has definitely made a mistake. You can immediately tell that "C:\ColdFusion2018\cf_scripts" is wrong. By default, a ColdFusion application won't have access to scripts at this location.

As I said earlier, something might have gone wrong with the installer. I would download a new installer, in any case. 

My suggestions once again:

1. Uninstall the failed installation - removing all remnants of the installation. If possible, use an uninstaller such as BCUninstaller, choosing to let it search for remnants of the installation.

2. Download anew the ColdFusion 2018 installation file, minding the bitness compatibility of VM and installer.

3. Reinstall ColdFusion 2018.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rimshot,

You ask: "Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas? The server does not have access to the internet. Is that required?"

You're not alone. I bet that most of us never get ColdFusion installation right first time. I cannot see from your description what caused the problem. But I have two hunches.

Firstly, the installation file might have been corrupted.

Secondly, you say you shut down all existing ColdFusion services before the installation. That is perhaps not enough. You should open Windows Services and disable the existing ColdFusion services.

I would then proceed as follows:

1. Uninstall the failed installation.

2. Download anew the ColdFusion 2018 installation file, minding the bitness (32-Bit or 64-Bit).

3. Reinstall ColdFusion 2018.

4. If you continue to have a failed installation, seek help from the sources provided by Charlie.

Once your installation succeeds, you might need internet to download ColdFusion updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate that bkbk is as always just trying to help, but I want to clarify a few points in reply (especially since others beside Rimshot may find this thread in the future):

• First, there's really no need to disable the cf svcs of an earlier version--unless your goal is to no longer run that earlier version. To be clear, it's often intended--and perfectly ok--to keep a previous cf version running while installing a new version. In fact, that would cause the installer to pick new ports for the new version, such that the two could run at once without conflict, which is helpful for migration/testing
  • As for concern over the bit-level of installers, thankfully we no longer need to worry about that since cf2018, as it no longer offers 32-bit installers
  • And while I do of course agree that cf should be updated after install, Rimshot was asking if lack of internet access might have contributed to the install failure, and it would not. As for the updates, one could of course obtain them from a web-connected machine and install them manually on the cf machine. Links and steps are in the cf technote for each update (and more in blog posts from myself and others).
  • Finally, and again for the sake of future readers of this thread, I can't help but disagree with the assertion about cf installation that "most never get it right the first time". Granted, many may be confused by the options offered, but that's not like this where the install is failing 🙂 

I really do hope we'll hear from rimshot especially on my earlier reply and suggestions there. And though I do thank you bkbk for recommending direct help from myself or others, hopefully that may not be necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charlie_Arehart.

To respond to the points you made:

• I took it for granted that Rimshot wishes to replace ColdFusion 11 with ColdFusion 2018. Hence my suggestion to disable ColdFusion 11 before installing ColdFusion 2018. Reread his original post.
  • You have to consider bitness, not only for the ColdFusion installer, but also for the Virtual Machine or Server on which you're going to install. 
  • My statement, "Once your installation succeeds, you might need internet to download ColdFusion updates", is clear enough. You shouldn't impute anything about the installation failure to it.
  • You misquote me. My statement, taken in full, is "I bet that most of us never get ColdFusion installation right first time". It contains the restraint one needs when hazarding a guess about other developers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation