• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CF2016 (Linux) SOLR Issue: ColdFusion Jetty service is already running or the port is not free

Explorer ,
Jun 28, 2021 Jun 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've been indexing documents with SOLR, and everyday it seems to crash or hang at some point, and so I find that I have to restart it fairly often.  I normaly do that by SSH-ing into the server and the running the following command:

/opt/coldfusion2016/cfusion/jetty/cfjetty restart

That normally works fine.  This morning, however, when I wend to restart it I got this message instead:

ColdFusion Jetty service is already running or the port is not free
exiting

Even when I tried to stop and start it (as opposed to "restart"), I got the same error:

> /opt/coldfusion2016/cfusion/jetty/cfjetty stop

Stopping ColdFusion Jetty Server, please wait
ColdFusion Jetty Server has been stopped

> /opt/coldfusion2016/cfusion/jetty/cfjetty start

You are starting Admin Component for ColdFusion. Starting this service also starts Solr search service (if installed).
ColdFusion Jetty service is already running or the port is not free
exiting

Does anyone know what might be the issue or how to address this?

Please note that I am not a server or Linux expert, and I am currently stuck with a hosting situation where the support staff knows very little about ColdFusion and offers me minimal support or understanding when these kinds of issues arise. (Yes I am in the middle of moving our stuff to Hostek but it in the meantime, I am stuck in this situation and have to figure this one out for myself.)

Thanks for any help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After restarting the entire box, this issue has re-appereared and I don't know what to do about it.

It's very depressing using ColdFusion sometimes - so few ways to get help anymore.  It used to be so different. I *really* appreciate the few of you out there who still try to help when they can, but I have asked 4 questions in this forum over the last few months, without any success.

In any case, I'd love it if anyone had any pointers as to why I might be experiencing this issue or what I can do about it. Or how to restart CFJetty (SOLR) in this case without having to take down the whole box.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, my first recommendation would be to move your application to a knowledgeable provider. There are still some out there, I'm sure other people will chime in on that.

Second, it sounds like Solr, or rather the underlying Jetty J2EE server, is still running even if it's not doing what it's supposed to do. In the short term, you should be able to use the ps and kill commands to identify and stop the Jetty server without affecting CF, then you should be able to restart it more or less cleanly.

Third, because Solr runs on Java, you can tinker around with the JVM settings used by Jetty to maybe increase the amount of memory. It helps to know how much total memory is on the actual OS before going too far down this road, though.

Dave Watts, Eidolon LLC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  I will look into the ps and kill commands as a way to addresss the immediate issue.  It seems like it's the file indexing feature of SOLR that is specifcally not working.  It will allow me to to add text data to a different collection (using cfindex).

We are indeed moving to Hostek, and have already done so with some of our applications.  However, due to a number of complicated issues, we will need have this app running with this hosting provider on CF2016 for at least another 6 months. Because we are moving, I have been just trying to maintain this app in it's current status quo state until we do, but this SOLR issue has just started happening and I'm not sure why now.

In a funny coincidence, I was thinking about the CF-Talk mailing list, and some of the great community support I used to experience back in the late Macromedia days (around the MX editions of everything). I remember Fig Leaf - under your direction - provided many great resources to the web community back then (including Brandon Hall doing cool Flash demos).  I am one of the odd (now feeling old) ColdFusion users who came to learn it in depth mostly by way of Flash Remoting, lol. I had some previous contact with it as an Allaire product but didn't pick it back up again until I found myself working with ActionScript for a living.

Anyway, thanks for your help (now and then).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I kind of miss Flash Remoting! Those were good times. I'm happy to help when I can.

Dave Watts, Eidolon LLC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation