• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CFIMAP tag connecting to Exchange: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

Participant ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello community, We use the CFIMAP tag to connect to a Microsoft Exchange server to retrieve emails. It has been working properly for a couple of years until yesterday when at about 8:40 AM EST we started to get this error from our CFTRY/CATCH block: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

Nothing has been changed from our side. I can still login to the webmail for the account being used and I see all the emails.

We also tried a different account to discard that the account was the issue without success.

After looking online, I believe the issue could be related to something wrong in the handshake. Quoting Charlie Arehart: "TLS (and SSL) is a two-way handshake between the origin and the destination, where each reports what versions it supports and they negotiate to pick one that works for both ends of the conversation." 
That's where my troubleshooting takes me but I could be wrong.

Anyone has experienced this before?

Thank you very much!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

I'll bet the issue is on Microsoft's side of things - especially if you are using Exchange Online. See here for some details:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/exchange-team-blog/basic-authentication-deprecation-in-exchange-online-may-2022/ba-p/3301866

Additionally, we have been having to change all of our IMAP calls to using Microsoft Graph API as all basic auth for POP, IMAP, etc. is being deprecated and completely shut off in October of this year. Figuring out oauth2 for IMAP looked to be

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dani, others may have more to say, and more specific suggestions, but first since "nothing changed", do you mean even that cf did not restart today? If it did, something about cf COULD have changed since the previous restart. The cf server.log tracks each startup, as do others (usually with lots more other info).

Note that while cf may not itself have been changed (code or admin config), perhaps the jvm that Cf uses was changed. Look at your cf admin "settings summary" page. What jvm version does it show cd using? There may be more to suggest depending on that. 

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Charlie and thanbk you very much for jumping in.
Since we started with this issue, the server has been restarted a couple of times. However, it hasn't been restarted when this problem started to occur. The email started to act up after 8:40 AM as it was the last email retrieved. No restart happens during the day.

As for the JVM version, the Settings Summary show 11.0.1+13-LTS

Would it be possible that the exchange server provider could've changed something from their end?

Thank you once again Charlie.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, they could have. And that's why I was asking first for your jvm version. 11.0.1, is about 4 yrs old. The latest (from this week, in fact, is 11.0.16). Even cf's update feature fails to be able to find and download new updates with such an old jvm.

So yes, the exchange server could have changed any of supported tls algorithms, bit length of certs, and more. Rather than try to discern that, just try updating the jvm that Cf uses. I have a blog post with more on each of the above (which both also point to resources on updating the Java that Cf uses, which is a 5-minute job if done right).

https://coldfusion.adobe.com/2019/06/error-calling-cf-via-https-solved-updating-jvm/

https://www.carehart.org/blog/2022/7/19/java_updates_Jul_2022

As both note, I can also help ensure it's done, with 15-min minimum remote consulting session, including leaving things so that the jvm switch can be reverted with only second of work.

Let us know if doing that jvm update solves it or not, or if you feel you can't or won't. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much once again Charlie, I have forwarded your reply to the team in charge of the updates.

Let me get back to you on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll bet the issue is on Microsoft's side of things - especially if you are using Exchange Online. See here for some details:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/exchange-team-blog/basic-authentication-deprecation-in-exchan...

Additionally, we have been having to change all of our IMAP calls to using Microsoft Graph API as all basic auth for POP, IMAP, etc. is being deprecated and completely shut off in October of this year. Figuring out oauth2 for IMAP looked to be more work than just switching over to their recommended Graph API, so that's what we've been doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, that's a very real possibility. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2022 Jul 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I think @Andrew Kretzer's response is the most likely cause of your problem. I was too lazy to write it myself yesterday, but authentication processes change in Exchange Online fairly often. You might also find that IMAP has been disabled entirely, too!

Dave Watts, Eidolon LLC 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Dave and Charlie. Working on the changes.

I appreciate all your input. I will update the ticket as soon as we change the configuration for out connection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andrew thank you very much for this.

I believe it fits perfectly to what is happening.

I'll work on the changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andrew, do you have a sample of what you have done when you say "Additionally, we have been having to change all of our IMAP calls to using Microsoft Graph API"?
It would be a huge help.

Thank you in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it depends upon what you're doing with it. But here is a pretty straight forward, albeit older, article that should get you started:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/reading-o365-emails-from-daemon-process-using-graph-bhattacharya/

Basically, you need to enable the correct permissions on Exchange, then grab an auth token (a straightforward cfhttp call) and then once you have the token, make other cfhttp calls using Microsoft's (very robust) Graph API.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much once again Andrew.

What we were doing before we couldn't do it anymore was basically retrieving emails for a specific account, reading the email's subject, then retrieving the email's attachments and based on the Subject, deciding where to place them. It was a very straighforward process. We need to replicate this. I've noticed the API has a fileAttachment resource. There's a lot to learn from this API to see if we can actually mimic what we were doing before.

Thanks a lot for your time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We do the same (usually Excel workbooks that then need to be imported into our db). I haven't gotten to fully implmenting the attachement part yet, so hoping it goes well. Hpwever, I do find the overall performance to be much, MUCH snappier than imap.

I'm also seeing that some things (e.g. moving emails from one folder to another) seem to need to be done individually rather than in bulk. There is a "batch" feature, but I saw some documentation that for email, you cannot batch more than 4 emails at a time? So it appears I have my work cut out for me as well!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much Andrew.

We also move email after the attachment has been retrieved, so yes, we do the same thing.
I'll let you know how the process goes and share my findings!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andrew, I am finding information about retrieving byte data from the attachment, but can't find anything regarding how to download the attachment. Have you found anything about this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not following real closely, but from what I've seen--the reference above to cfhttp, if that's how you're getting the file, do note it has a getasbinary attribute/argument.

That may not be helpful. Again, just offering if it may be. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Charlie!
And I apologize for not getting back sooner, even though I have setup "email me when someone replies", I am not getting anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Andrew, have you been able to download the Attachments using the Graph API by any chance?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation