• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CGI Scope is empty with ColdFusion 2021 on windows 2019

New Here ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found that on two of my coldfusion 2021 servers, at random intervals, the CGI scope starts returning an empty struct.   When this happens, the only solution seems to be a restart of the ColdFusion service.

there dont seem to be any relevant entries in any of the ColdFusion logs or the Windows Event Viewer.

Has anybody ever experienced this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

Hi BKBK and Charlie,

First I would like to thank you both for your help.  I believe we found the root cause and it WAS code.  There was  a function to scrub passwords from structs so that we could safely create error handling emails with dumps of form, request and CGI and not have the password displayed.  Below is from the developer: 

I think this was a subtle difference between CF2016 and CF2021 in the way it handles copying structs inside a function.  Let me explain a little further…

Looking a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which web server do you use? Any clues from the web server log and connector log?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A quick search on the web produced this: https://hostmedia.uk/client/knowledgebase/201204236/Missing-CGI-variables.html 

Does it help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we are using IIS on windows 2019.   Does the mod_jk.conf file exist for IIS servers as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That link is referring particularly to an Apache web server. For IIS, the relevant files are:

isapi_redirect.properties

workers.properties

uriworkermap.properties

Could you share these? Also, are there any related errors in isapi_redirect.log?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

looking in the isapi_redirect.log I see a handfull of errors like this:

[Mon Jan 03 12:54:21.127 2022] [8216:11024] [error] start_response::jk_isapi_plugin.c (1293): HSE_REQ_SEND_RESPONSE_HEADER failed with error=87 (0x00000057)
[Mon Jan 03 12:54:21.128 2022] [8216:11024] [error] isapi_write_client::jk_isapi_plugin.c (1480): WriteClient failed with 1229 (0x000004cd)
[Mon Jan 03 15:05:00.560 2022] [8216:7472] [error] start_response::jk_isapi_plugin.c (1293): HSE_REQ_SEND_RESPONSE_HEADER failed with error=87 (0x00000057)
[Mon Jan 03 15:05:00.561 2022] [8216:7472] [error] isapi_write_client::jk_isapi_plugin.c (1480): WriteClient failed with 1229 (0x000004cd)
[Mon Jan 03 16:53:26.891 2022] [8216:11384] [error] start_response::jk_isapi_plugin.c (1293): HSE_REQ_SEND_RESPONSE_HEADER failed with error=87 (0x00000057)
[Mon Jan 03 16:53:26.892 2022] [8216:11384] [error] isapi_write_client::jk_isapi_plugin.c (1480): WriteClient failed with 1229 (0x000004cd)
[Mon Jan 03 16:53:26.940 2022] [8216:12784] [error] start_response::jk_isapi_plugin.c (1293): HSE_REQ_SEND_RESPONSE_HEADER failed with error=87 (0x00000057)
[Mon Jan 03 16:53:26.941 2022] [8216:12784] [error] isapi_write_client::jk_isapi_plugin.c (1480): WriteClient failed with 1229 (0x000004cd)
[Mon Jan 03 17:06:58.430 2022] [8216:11384] [error] start_response::jk_isapi_plugin.c (1293): HSE_REQ_SEND_RESPONSE_HEADER failed with error=87 (0x00000057)
[Mon Jan 03 17:06:58.431 2022] [8216:11384] [error] isapi_write_client::jk_isapi_plugin.c (1480): WriteClient failed with 1229 (0x000004cd)
[Tue Jan 04 00:09:26.788 2022] [8216:13296] [error] start_response::jk_isapi_plugin.c (1293): HSE_REQ_SEND_RESPONSE_HEADER failed with error=87 (0x00000057)
[Tue Jan 04 00:09:26.789 2022] [8216:13296] [error] isapi_write_client::jk_isapi_plugin.c (1480): WriteClient failed with 1229 (0x000004cd)

and below are the contents of each of the files you mentioned

isapi_redirect.properties:

extension_uri= /jakarta/isapi_redirect.dll
log_file= D:\CF_Path\config\wsconfig\1\isapi_redirect.log
log_level= info
worker_file= D:\CF_Path\config\wsconfig\1\workers.properties
worker_mount_file= D:\CF_Path\config\wsconfig\1\uriworkermap.properties
iis_buffer_enable= true
auth_complete= 1
iis_skip_custom_errors_enable= false

workers.properties:

worker.list=cfusion

heartbeat_interval=30
heartbeat_limit=90

worker.cfusion.type=ajp13
worker.cfusion.host=localhost
worker.cfusion.port=8020
worker.cfusion.connection_pool_size=500
worker.cfusion.connection_pool_timeout=60
worker.cfusion.max_reuse_connections=250
worker.cfusion.monitoringsecret=xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx
worker.cfusion.secret=xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx

uriworkermap.properties:

/cfformgateway/* = cfusion
/CFFormGateway/* = cfusion
/flex2gateway/* = cfusion
/flex2gateway = cfusion
/cffileservlet/* = cfusion
/CFFileServlet/* = cfusion
/cfform-internal/* = cfusion
/flashservices/gateway/* = cfusion
/flex-internal/* = cfusion
/rest/* = cfusion
/restapps/* = cfusion
/mcs/* = cfusion
/mcs = cfusion
/__cf_connector_heartbeat__ = cfusion
/cfapiresources/* = cfusion
/*.mxml = cfusion
/*.as = cfusion
/*.cfm = cfusion
/*.CFM = cfusion
/*.Cfm = cfusion
/*.cfm/* = cfusion
/*.CFM/* = cfusion
/*.Cfm/* = cfusion
/*.swc = cfusion
/*.cfml = cfusion
/*.CFML = cfusion
/*.Cfml = cfusion
/*.cfml/* = cfusion
/*.CFML/* = cfusion
/*.Cfml/* = cfusion
/*.cfc = cfusion
/*.CFC = cfusion
/*.Cfc = cfusion
/*.cfc/* = cfusion
/*.CFC/* = cfusion
/*.Cfc/* = cfusion
/*.cfr = cfusion
/*.CFR = cfusion
/*.Cfr = cfusion
/*.cfswf = cfusion
/*.CFSWF = cfusion
/*.Cfswf = cfusion
/*.sws = cfusion
/*.jsp = cfusion
/*.hbmxml = cfusion
!/CFIDE* = cfusion

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2022 Jan 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Blair22505870i4ma , thanks for sharing the 3 configuration files. Their content looks all right. As far as I can see, we can rule out isapi_redirect.properties, workers.properties and uriworkermap.properties as the cause of the problem.

The errors in isapi_redirect.log are interesting. They are recurrent and invariably occur as a pair. They may or may not be related to your issue, but are worth a look anyway.

They are:

1. "HSE_REQ_SEND_RESPONSE_HEADER failed with error=87 (0x00000057)"
        This is Windows System Error 87: Incorrect parameter
  2.  "WriteClient failed with 1229 (0x000004cd)"
        This is Windows System Error 1229: An operation was attempted on a nonexistent network connection.

The first tells me your application might be using an invalid response header. In any case, a response header that Tomcat considers invalid. 

The second tells me there was an attempt to write to a nonexistent or closed connection. An explanation I found on the web says this could happen

"...when the connection between the client and IIS can no longer be used to write back the response. This could either mean your response generation is very slow, so that users have already reloaded
the page or changed to another page, or you have a network stability problem."
[ https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@tomcat.apache.org/msg90955.html ]

From the above considerations my suggestions would then be to:

1. Check your response headers, in particular, custom headers and headers that your application dynamically generates.
  2. Increase the value of connectionTimeout. You have to do this in 2 places, in workers.properties and in server.xml, maintaining the same value. For example

in workers.properties: 
    worker.cfusion.connection_pool_timeout=120

in /runtime/conf/server.xml
    <Connector packetSize="65535" protocol="AJP/1.3" port="8020" redirectPort="8453" secret="xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx" maxThreads="500" connectionTimeout="120000" tomcatAuthentication="false"/>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi BKBK,

In the servers in question, we actually have three total servers.   One of them has NOT experienced any issues with CGI scope, while the other two have been affected.

Compating the Response headers in IIS,  I found that the two affected servers have one additional response header, which the 3rd server does not have.

X-Powered-By=ASP.NET

I am not sure if how how that woudl affect the CGI scope, but I will try removing this response header and see what happens.

I will also try bumping up the connectionTimeout from 60-120 and see if that helps.  Is that something that Has to be edited directly in the two files referenced or can it be modified inside the CF admin?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update.

I will also try bumping up the connectionTimeout from 60-120 and see if that helps.  Is that something that Has to be edited directly in the two files referenced or can it be modified inside the CF admin?

By @Blair22505870i4ma

In the 2 files, using the settings I mentioned.

Then restart ColdFusion for the change to take effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

X-Powered-By=ASP.NET

I am not sure if how how that woudl affect the CGI scope, but I will try removing this response header and see what happens.

By @Blair22505870i4ma

You might be interested in Pete Freitag's post on removing the header X-Powered-By=ASP.NEThttps://www.petefreitag.com/item/722.cfm 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blair, I'd take things in a different direction than the other discussion about the web server configuration files. 

Assuming that doesn't get you to a solution, let's go back to your first point. You say that "at random intervals, the CGI scope starts returning an empty struct". Tell us more:

• First, how are you "seeing" that? Is it that you have an error handler that is dumping the CGI scope, among other things? Or are you viewing this in the debug output of a page?
  • And when you say it's at random intervals, can you elaborate? Is it happening every day, or are there large gaps between when it happens? And when it does happen, does it stay in that state (empty cgi struct) until a restart?
  • When it happens, are you confirming that ALL pages in all apps reflect this state of an empty CGI srtuct?

As for further diagnosis:

• If it may well be that you're seeing this in an error handler, let's consider that there's a possibility that the problem could be related to whatever error is happening.
  • And it might be interesting to track if the cgi scope existed at the START of the request, like using a request scope variable that tracks structkeyexists(cgi,"CF_TEMPLATE_PATH"). It may be that that was TRUE at the start but would be FALSE at this time later in the request that you find the struct to be empty. That could be diagnostically significant.
  • You could ven log if it's TRUE (in this check at the start of the request)

Finally, to answer your question, I have not seen this before myself. It sounds interesting, but as you can see from the above, I am used to being dropped in "behind the fire line" to help put out the fire, even if I've "never been in that forest before". 🙂 I hope the thoughts may be helpful, again if that other line of discussion doesn't pan out.

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charlie - Thank you for your response!

as you can see I am still trying a few things that BKBK suggested.   One other thing to note is that previously, we had removed the values from "Minimum JVM Heap Size" and "Maximum JVM Heap size" in the Java and JVM settings screen in the CF Administrator in an attempt to have CF/Java automatically manage this.

A few days ago, we reverted this change, adding values back into those fields in the CF Admin.   We have not experienced any issues since then but its still possible that is a coincidence.

With that said - let me answer a few of your questions to help give a more complete picture.

1. as I mentioned in my most recent reply to BKBK, we actually have 3 CF servers in this environment.  Two of them are load balanced and are experiencing the issues with the CGI scop.   The third one is NOT load balanced and is not having any issues with the CGI scope.

2. These servers are used primarily for a third party commercial CMS product based on ColdFusion.  Wh the issue surfaces, we find that certain elements on that CMS, start to render incorrectly and throw errors relatign to missing variables which the CMS shoudl always have available.   After speakign with the CMS vendor, they told us that those variables are pulled from the CGI scope, and when the issue was happening, we found that if we were to dump the CGI scope in a test file, it woudl dump an empty struct.

3. when I say it is at random intervals, what I mean is that the issue keeps happening - sometimes on one of the two load balanced servers and sometimes on both.  Sometimes it happens after a few days, and sometimes it happens after several hours.

4. when this issue does happen, it stays in that state until we restart the CF service.  and it does appear that all pages in all apps on the affected server remain in this state until the CF restart.

5. another interestign note is that we also included a cfdump of the request scope in our test file, and when the issue occurs and we load the test file in a browser, both the request scope and the CGI scop dump empty structs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3. when I say it is at random intervals, what I mean is that the issue keeps happening - sometimes on one of the two load balanced servers and sometimes on both.  Sometimes it happens after a few days, and sometimes it happens after several hours.

By @Blair22505870i4ma

Ehrm, load balanced servers? 

Then I expected to see something like the following in the workers.properties file:

# he list of workers
worker.list= instance1, instance2

# the load balancer 
worker.loadbalancer.type=lb

# worker "instance1" will talk to Tomcat listening on machine localhost
# at port 8020 using 2.5 lb factor
worker.instance1.host=127.0.0.1
worker.instance1.port=8020
worker.instance1.lbfactor=2.5

# worker "instance2" will talk to Tomcat listening on machine www.xyz.com 
# at port 8009 using 3.5 lb factor
worker.instance2.host=www.xyz.com
worker.instance2.port=8009
worker.instance2.lbfactor=3.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The load balancing is all done through a seperate hardware device managed by our Client/Server department, so I dont think there needs to be any special provisions inside of coldFusion to accommodate the load balancing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2022 Jan 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In view of the new information, I would now agree with Charlie's point that headers and connectors are unlikely to be the cause of the problem. The new information that sways me is the missing request scope. What if the load balancer did it? 

The missing request and CGI scopes suggest to me that, when the issue occurs, the affected ColdFusion server might not be receiving traffic from the load balancer. So I would now include the load balancer in the list of suspects. 

Could you 

1.  Share the contents of jvm.config ( as Charlie has said, if we know the settings we will be able to rule out possible memory-related causes )
  2.  Do a forensic log examination:
         - Have a look at server.log and note down the times when this issue forced you to restart.
        - Then examine all the other logs, including isapi_redirect.log and the load-balancer logs, to find out which errors occurred just before those times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2022 Jan 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then I wondered: if it is the load balancer, why does the problem go away when you restart the affected ColdFusion instance?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2022 Jan 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the clarifications, Blair. I do still think this all really has nothing to do with headers coming into the request, let alone the web server connector (but perhaps the other efforts here will prove fruitful, and prove me wrong). The mention of a load balancer as another part of the equation could seem compelling...

But now that you say that the request scope is also found (randomly) to be unexpectedly empty,  it reinforces my sense that it's none of the above.

Instead, I'm inclined to wonder if there may well be some sort of memory error. I saw your comment about setting the heap. What was the max you set, when you did that? (There's no way to say without LOTS more info what yours SHOULD be. I just am curious to hear what you may have picked. And I'm not suggesting that this "memory error" I refer to necessarily has to do with that max heap setting.)

Can you check the colfusion-error.log (in the logs folder), and in that search for the phrase "outofmemory"? If you have any, are they at or near the time of these problems? Indeed, are they frequent (recently)? And in either case, what KIND of oom error is it? That will usually appear as another word or phrase after that word "outofmemory". It MAY say "heap", or it MAY talk about "GC overhead limit exceeded", but it may just as well refer to something UNRELATED to the heap, as in "metaspace".

Before we go any further (especially with speculation related to what I say here), let's hear first if your coldfusion-error.log does indeed have any oom errors. (And note that when you open that file, pay attention to whatever datetime stamp you find on lines at the TOP of the file. That will indicate how far back in time this log covers. It may be only hours or days, or it could be weeks or months. Note that when the log reaches a limit (of 5mb, iirc), it rotates and keeps several (again I think about 10). It can thus be useful sometimes to look beyond just the latest coldfusion-error.log.

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Charlie and BKBK,

Thank you so much for all your thoughtful responses.   

Thankfully, we have not had any issues ever since last week when we added the values back into the Java memory min/max fields in the CF Administrator.

We are going to keep a close eye on things and if we experience the issue again, then I will absoultely return to this thread and proceed with your remaining suggestions to continue to troubleshoot.

For now though I will reluctantly say that it has been solved 🙂

Thanks again!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so I of course spoke too soon.   The issue occurred one one of our servers again this afternoon.

This time, the request scope WAS avaiulable.  THis time it was just the CGI scope which was empty.

When the issue occurred, we looked at the colfusion-error.log (and all other coldfusion log files for that matter) and searched for the phrase "outofmemory" and did not come up with any results.

there did not seem to be anything significant in any of the coldfusion logs around the time of the issue.  We also checked the windows event viewer, the solr logs, fusion reactor... everywhere we looked we did nto see any significant errors or evidence of an issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you 

1.  Share the contents of jvm.config 
  2.  Do a forensic log examination:
         - Have a look at server.log and note down the times when this issue forced you to restart.
        - Then examine all the other logs, including isapi_redirect.log and the load-balancer logs, to find out which errors occurred just before those times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Going back to basics, a new idea. What if ColdFusion has nothing to do with it and the problem is caused by the combination of browser and web server?

To test this hypothesis, use Curl. For example, I proceeded as follows:

1.  Download and unpack Curl in C:\bin\curl-7.76.0-win64. (The location for curl.exe is then C:\bin\curl-7.76.0-win64\bin\curl.exe.)
  2. Create the CFM page, \wwwroot\cgiTest.cfm. It has just one line of code:
    <cfdump var="#cgi#">​
  3.  Open the Command Prompt, and use CD to navigate to C:\bin\curl-7.76.0-win64\bin.
  4.  At the prompt, run the following command (which instructs curl to browse to the CFM page and save the output as an HTML file on my desktop)
    curl http://localhost:8500/cgiTest.cfm -o C:\Users\BKBK\Desktop\cgiTest.html ​
  5.  View the HTML and confirm that it contains some CGI variables.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,  I am Blair's teammate and I am able to reproduce the empty cgi struct  and which will permanently wipe cgi struct on all future requests until restart CF but I can't find anywhere where we would be doing such a crazy thing

<cfset StructClear(cgi)>

<cfoutput>#structCount(cgi)#</cfoutput> THIS RETURNS 46 even though cgi is now empty

<cfdump var="#cgi#">

Or maybe this is just one way that cgi can be emptied?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @gabrieldavis321 , have you read my last post? Did you do the Curl test I suggested?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2022 Jan 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi BKBK,

We haven't yet had a chance to try because we have to wait for the issue to happen again, but I am not sure that I follow the logic... we use the same web browser and IIS when checking ... so why would they behave differently when the issue occurs and when we have restarted CF to fix the issue?  But we will try next time the issue arises.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation