Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cold Fusion 2018 Error with SQL Server 2017

Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I just installed Cold Fusion 2018 Enterprise Edition on an existing VM server running Windows Server 2012 R2.  This is my staging server and already has a working copy of Cold Fusion 11 Enterprise edition which is working fine.

I installed the 2018.0.0.2 version for Windows 64. Afterwards, I installed each of the 7 hotfixes in order, and rebooted between each install.

My Cold Fusion administrator works correctly in that I can log on, and view the different screens.  

My database server is running MS SQL Server 2017.

I imported all of my settings from my Cold Fusion 11 server, and I can click on the Verify checkbox of my SQL Server datasource and the status is returned as OK.

However, when I try to run my existing Cold Fusion application, I get an error as soon as my application reaches the first query. 

The error in application.log is: 

"Error","ajp-nio-8018-exec-1","02/13/20","14:40:12",PEApplication,"java/sql/Connection The specific sequence of files included or processed is: D:\Webdocs\performance2019\index.cfm, line: 17

The error in coldfusion-error.log is:

Feb 13, 2020 4:52:41 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve invoke
SEVERE: Servlet.service() for servlet [CfmServlet] in context with path [] threw exception [Servlet execution threw an exception] with root cause
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: java/sql/Connection
at com.compuware.apm.agent.introspection.jdbc.ConnectionPoolIntrospection.updateConnectionClass(ConnectionPoolIntrospection.java:215)
at coldfusion.sql.imq.jdbcConnection.createStatement(jdbcConnection.java)
at coldfusion.sql.Executive.executeQuery(Executive.java:1468)
at coldfusion.sql.SqlImpl.execute(SqlImpl.java:432)
at coldfusion.tagext.sql.QueryTag.executeQuery(QueryTag.java:1211)
at coldfusion.tagext.sql.QueryTag.startQueryExecution(QueryTag.java:841)
at coldfusion.tagext.sql.QueryTag.doEndTag(QueryTag.java:794)
at cfindex2ecfm981164511._factor10(/CFIDE/administrator/logging/index.cfm:212)
at cfindex2ecfm981164511.runPage(/CFIDE/administrator/logging/index.cfm:1)
at coldfusion.runtime.CfJspPage.invoke(CfJspPage.java:262)
at coldfusion.tagext.lang.IncludeTag.handlePageInvoke(IncludeTag.java:735)
at coldfusion.tagext.lang.IncludeTag.doStartTag(IncludeTag.java:565)
at coldfusion.filter.CfincludeFilter.invoke(CfincludeFilter.java:65)
at coldfusion.filter.ApplicationFilter.invoke(ApplicationFilter.java:597)
at coldfusion.filter.MonitoringFilter.invoke(MonitoringFilter.java:40)
at coldfusion.filter.PathFilter.invoke(PathFilter.java:162)
at coldfusion.filter.IpFilter.invoke(IpFilter.java:45)
at coldfusion.filter.ExceptionFilter.invoke(ExceptionFilter.java:96)
at coldfusion.filter.ClientScopePersistenceFilter.invoke(ClientScopePersistenceFilter.java:28)
at coldfusion.filter.BrowserFilter.invoke(BrowserFilter.java:38)
at coldfusion.filter.NoCacheFilter.invoke(NoCacheFilter.java:60)
at coldfusion.filter.GlobalsFilter.invoke(GlobalsFilter.java:38)
at coldfusion.filter.DatasourceFilter.invoke(DatasourceFilter.java:22)
at coldfusion.filter.CachingFilter.invoke(CachingFilter.java:62)
at coldfusion.CfmServlet.service(CfmServlet.java:226)
at coldfusion.bootstrap.BootstrapServlet.service(BootstrapServlet.java:311)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:231)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:166)
at coldfusion.monitor.event.MonitoringServletFilter.doFilter(MonitoringServletFilter.java:46)
at coldfusion.bootstrap.BootstrapFilter.doFilter(BootstrapFilter.java:47)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:166)
at coldfusion.inspect.weinre.MobileDeviceDomInspectionFilter.doFilter(MobileDeviceDomInspectionFilter.java:121)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)
at org.apache.tomcat.websocket.server.WsFilter.doFilter(WsFilter.java:53)
at coldfusion.filter.ClickjackingProtectionFilter.doFilter(ClickjackingProtectionFilter.java:75)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:202)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:96)
at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:490)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:139)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:92)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:74)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:357)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.service(Http11Processor.java:408)
at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProcessorLight.process(AbstractProcessorLight.java:66)
at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$ConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:853)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint$SocketProcessor.doRun(NioEndpoint.java:1587)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.SocketProcessorBase.run(SocketProcessorBase.java:49)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1128)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:628)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61)
at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:834)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

TOPICS
Advanced techniques , Database access , Server administration

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2020 Feb 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My bet is that when you imported your cf11 settings, you imported something that has cf doing more than it would by default, and I think I see what it is.

Notice the first line of the stack trace in the error. It refers to com.compuware.apm.agent.introspection.jdbc.ConnectionPoolIntrospection.updateConnectionClass. That suggests the import pulled in some configuration setting that has cf (and the underlying jdbc calls)  being monitored by an apm, in this case compuware. But it seems it's not installed in the new machine. This can be a very frustrating aspect of CF's helpful import mechanisms.

Check first in the affected DSN (in the cf admin) for the connection string setting. There are usually no values by default. If there are indeed none there, check the admin's jvm page and its jvm args for perhaps some javaagent (again there is none by default in cf).

As for why it failed on the query and not the verify, it's that the verify was not running SQL so the apm was not "monitoring" that verify operation.

Finally, for future reference, you never need to do ALL the updates, one after another. Nor do you ever need to reboot after each. Save yourself that time and effort. 🙂

But what you may have found is that if you tried to do update 7 first, that failed to "verify" after it was downloaded.  That's a unique new problem since June 2019, when a server cert at Adobe changed, which is used by CF to validate the download of updates done in the admin ui. So any attempt to download 5 or above fails. Perhaps you'd tried 7 and 6 and gave up and started at 1.

But FWIW, if you'd just downloaded and installed update 4, then you could have done 7. Same for cf2016 update 11. And the technote for the updates indicates this (see the "read more" link in the admin page for each update), but most folks don't bother.

(And another problem prevented easily seeing the download/install buttons or the read more link, which is fixed in update 7.)

And yes these problem would be solved if adobe would create a new installer for cf2018 (and 2016) that included the existing updates. It's a lot of work and they usually wait for some still-bigger reason to do that--but this one seems annoying enough. 

Anyway, hope that helps you others.

And let us know how the db problem goes.

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charlie, thank you for your reply. I tried reinstalling Cold Fusion and this time not importing any CF 11 settings and still had the same problem.  After that,  I've been working with Cold Fusion installation support and they had me change the JDK to 8.2.  For the moment, this solved the problem & I am able to view the logs & run my programs on this server.

Cold Fusion support seems to believe that this has something to do with Symantec blocking Cold Fusion from executing.  They said that they have seen this on other installs.  They asked me to try an install on a blank VM with no Symantec installed, but I have not been able to get the resources to do it yet.

For what it's worth, I did disable Symantec on the existing server, but it also made no difference.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying that in a fresh install, you really get the SAME error, referring to compuware? And that without importing anything? And Adobe support had no observation about that?

Or maybe you have some new error. And maybe they're on the right track then about an a/v. That said, it would seem odd that it causes problems with cf2018 if it did not with the cf11 that you said worked fine on the same machine.

If you shared more about the error, we may see that instead the issue could be if there was some other difference in the cf admin or jvm  settings of your 2018 setup vs 11. They can be compared to know the differences, if it may come to that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 25, 2020 Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charlie, thank you for your reply. Yes, it's the same error whether or not I import the settings.  Here I am adding the contents of the 2 jvm.config files:

1.  Cold Fusion 11 jvm.config

#
# VM configuration
#
# Where to find JVM, if {java.home}/jre exists then that JVM is used
# if not then it must be the path to the JRE itself

java.home=D:/ColdFusion11/jre_update/jdk1.8.0_171

#
# If no java.home is specified a VM is located by looking in these places in this
# order:
#
# 1) ../runtime/jre
# 2) registry (windows only)
# 3) JAVA_HOME env var plus jre (ie $JAVA_HOME/jre)
# 4) java.exe in path
#

# Arguments to VM
java.args=-server -Xms256m -Xmx2048m -Xdebug -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=n,address=5005 -XX:MaxMetaspaceSize=512m -XX:+UseParallelGC -Xbatch -Dcoldfusion.home={application.home} -Duser.language=en -Dcoldfusion.rootDir={application.home} -Dcoldfusion.libPath={application.home}/lib -Dorg.apache.coyote.USE_CUSTOM_STATUS_MSG_IN_HEADER=true -Dcoldfusion.jsafe.defaultalgo=FIPS186Random -Dorg.eclipse.jetty.util.log.class=org.eclipse.jetty.util.log.JavaUtilLog -Dhttp.proxyHost=bcproxy.ci.la.ca.us -Dhttp.proxyPort=8080 -Dcoldfusion.classPath={application.home}/lib/updates,{application.home}/lib,{application.home}/lib/axis2,{application.home}/gateway/lib/,{application.home}/wwwroot/WEB-INF/flex/jars,{application.home}/wwwroot/WEB-INF/cfform/jars

# Comma separated list of shared library path
java.library.path={application.home}/lib,{application.home}/jintegra/bin,{application.home}/jintegra/bin/international,{application.home}/lib/oosdk/classes/win

# Comma separated list of shared library path for non-windows
java.nixlibrary.path={application.home}/lib

java.class.path={application.home}/lib/oosdk/lib,{application.home}/lib/oosdk/classes

2.  Cold Fusion 2018 jvm.config

#
# VM configuration
#
# Where to find JVM, if {java.home}/jre exists then that JVM is used
# if not then it must be the path to the JRE itself

java.home=D:\\ColdFusion2018\\jre

#
# If no java.home is specified a VM is located by looking in these places in this
# order:
#
# 1) ../runtime/jre
# 2) registry (windows only)
# 3) JAVA_HOME env var plus jre (ie $JAVA_HOME/jre)
# 4) java.exe in path
#

# Arguments to VM

java.args=-server -Xms256m -Xmx1024m -Xdebug -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=n,address=5005 --add-opens=java.rmi/sun.rmi.transport=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.base/java.nio=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.base/java.lang=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.base/sun.util.cldr=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.base/sun.util.locale.provider=ALL-UNNAMED -XX:MaxMetaspaceSize=192m -XX:+UseParallelGC -Xbatch -Djdk.attach.allowAttachSelf=true -Dcoldfusion.home={application.home} -Duser.language=en -Dcoldfusion.rootDir={application.home} -Dcom.sun.xml.bind.v2.bytecode.ClassTailor.noOptimize=true -Dcoldfusion.libPath={application.home}/lib -Dorg.apache.coyote.USE_CUSTOM_STATUS_MSG_IN_HEADER=true -Dcoldfusion.jsafe.defaultalgo=FIPS186Random -Dorg.eclipse.jetty.util.log.class=org.eclipse.jetty.util.log.JavaUtilLog -Djava.util.logging.config.file={application.home}/lib/logging.properties -Djava.locale.providers=COMPAT,SPI -Dsun.font.layoutengine=icu -Dcoldfusion.classPath={application.home}/lib/updates,{application.home}/lib,{application.home}/lib/axis2,{application.home}/gateway/lib/,{application.home}/wwwroot/WEB-INF/cfform/jars,{application.home}/wwwroot/WEB-INF/flex/jars,{application.home}/lib/oosdk/lib,{application.home}/lib/oosdk/classes

# Comma separated list of shared library path
java.library.path={application.home}/lib,{application.home}/jintegra/bin,{application.home}/jintegra/bin/international,{application.home}/lib/oosdk/classes/win

# Comma separated list of shared library path for non-windows
java.nixlibrary.path={application.home}/lib

java.class.path={application.home}/lib/oosdk/lib,{application.home}/lib/oosdk/classes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so to be clear, when you say you still get the "same error", you mean the reference to compuware? If so, then no, neither of those jvm.config's show reference to that.

But I had said, "the issue could be if there was some other difference in the cf admin or jvm settings". In particular, look at the DSN in question (you said this happens on a cfquery, and it was that error which referred to compuware). And look at the advanced settings for the DSN, which shows the "connection string".

In particular, is there any reference to compuware? That's a 3rd party toolmaker, which CF does not bundle. If you're getting an error referring to that, then something somewhere in your config (or less likely, your code) is referring to that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charlie, thank you for your reply.  In application.cfm, I get this error with any cold fusion query:

"cError","http-nio-8501-exec-5","02/25/20","10:10:27","cfadmin","java/sql/Connection The specific sequence of files included or processed is: D:\ColdFusion2018\cfusion\wwwroot\CFIDE\administrator\logging\index.cfm, line: 212 "

At the same time, I get the following error in coldfusion-error.log

Feb 25, 2020 10:10:27 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve invoke
SEVERE: Servlet.service() for servlet [CfmServlet] in context with path [] threw exception [Servlet execution threw an exception] with root cause
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: java/sql/Connection
at com.compuware.apm.agent.introspection.jdbc.ConnectionPoolIntrospection.updateConnectionClass(ConnectionPoolIntrospection.java:215)
at coldfusion.sql.imq.jdbcConnection.createStatement(jdbcConnection.java)
at coldfusion.sql.Executive.executeQuery(Executive.java:1468)
at coldfusion.sql.SqlImpl.execute(SqlImpl.java:432)
at coldfusion.tagext.sql.QueryTag.executeQuery(QueryTag.java:1211)
at coldfusion.tagext.sql.QueryTag.startQueryExecution(QueryTag.java:841)
at coldfusion.tagext.sql.QueryTag.doEndTag(QueryTag.java:794)
at cfindex2ecfm981164511._factor10(/CFIDE/administrator/logging/index.cfm:212)
at cfindex2ecfm981164511.runPage(/CFIDE/administrator/logging/index.cfm:1)
at coldfusion.runtime.CfJspPage.invoke(CfJspPage.java:262)
at coldfusion.tagext.lang.IncludeTag.handlePageInvoke(IncludeTag.java:735)
at coldfusion.tagext.lang.IncludeTag.doStartTag(IncludeTag.java:565)
at coldfusion.filter.CfincludeFilter.invoke(CfincludeFilter.java:65)
at coldfusion.filter.ApplicationFilter.invoke(ApplicationFilter.java:597)
at coldfusion.filter.RequestMonitorFilter.invoke(RequestMonitorFilter.java:43)
at coldfusion.filter.MonitoringFilter.invoke(MonitoringFilter.java:40)
at coldfusion.filter.PathFilter.invoke(PathFilter.java:162)
at coldfusion.filter.IpFilter.invoke(IpFilter.java:45)
at coldfusion.filter.ExceptionFilter.invoke(ExceptionFilter.java:96)
at coldfusion.filter.ClientScopePersistenceFilter.invoke(ClientScopePersistenceFilter.java:28)
at coldfusion.filter.BrowserFilter.invoke(BrowserFilter.java:38)
at coldfusion.filter.NoCacheFilter.invoke(NoCacheFilter.java:60)
at coldfusion.filter.GlobalsFilter.invoke(GlobalsFilter.java:38)
at coldfusion.filter.DatasourceFilter.invoke(DatasourceFilter.java:22)
at coldfusion.filter.CachingFilter.invoke(CachingFilter.java:62)
at coldfusion.CfmServlet.service(CfmServlet.java:226)
at coldfusion.bootstrap.BootstrapServlet.service(BootstrapServlet.java:311)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:231)
at coldfusion.monitor.event.MonitoringServletFilter.doFilter(MonitoringServletFilter.java:46)
at coldfusion.inspect.weinre.MobileDeviceDomInspectionFilter.doFilter(MobileDeviceDomInspectionFilter.java:121)
at org.apache.tomcat.websocket.server.WsFilter.doFilter(WsFilter.java:53)
at coldfusion.filter.ClickjackingProtectionFilter.doFilter(ClickjackingProtectionFilter.java:75)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:202)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:96)
at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:490)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:139)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:92)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:74)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:357)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.service(Http11Processor.java:408)
at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProcessorLight.process(AbstractProcessorLight.java:66)
at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$ConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:853)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint$SocketProcessor.doRun(NioEndpoint.java:1587)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.SocketProcessorBase.run(SocketProcessorBase.java:49)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1128)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:628)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61)
at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:834)

The error occurs with any datasource.  The connection string is blank for the data source for CF 11, and it's also blank for Cold Fusion 2018.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yosu, I can't imagine there is any way a vanilla install could lead you to get an error referring to "compuware" (as shown on the first line of the stack trace in your last message, and also in your first message):

com.compuware.apm.agent.introspection.jdbc.ConnectionPoolIntrospection.updateConnectionClass

I have helped hundreds of people solve problems in CF with requests stuck in jdbc connection pooling, but I have never seen a reference to compuware, ever. I know you feel like this is some CF bug, but I don't think so. I really think you have SOME configuration issue SOMEWHERE, that is causing compuware to inject itself into your queries.

And then (as I said from the outset), the fact that it fails on CF2018 is because you do NOT have installed the compuware software that such configuration is pointing to.

But you said earlier that Adobe was working with you.  How did that turn out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charlie, in my last conversation with CF installation support, we got Cold Fusion 2018 working correctly with an earlier JDK, specifically jdk1.8.0_202. By working I mean that I could see all of the logs in Cold Fusion administrator, and I could also run my existing Cold Fusion applications on that server.

After that, their suggestion was that I try to install without bringing over any settings & let them know of the results.  I let them know that the results were the same even when installing without importing settings.  After that I put them in touch with our server group who will be following up on this issue.

If we cannot get a resolution on this error, my guess is that the server group will configure a new VM without any existing Cold Fusion installation and attempt a clean install there.

Thanks again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yosu, it appears your ColdFusion installation is making use of the remnants of a previous installation.

I would uninstall ColdFusion 2018, then reinstall. I would do so as follows:

1) Use a specialist uninstaller, such as BCuninstaller, to uninstall ColdFusion 2018. When prompted by BCuninstaller, remove all CF2018 remnants, including registry entries. After that, manually delete any remaining CF2018 files and folders.

2) Perform a clean installation of ColdFusion 2018 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi BKBK, I will definitely try that.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation