• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ColdFusion 11 and Solr

Explorer ,
Apr 22, 2015 Apr 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed ColdFusion 11. I am pretty sure I selected the option to install the addons like Solr, but when I am in the coldfusion administrator under Data & Services, I click ColdFusion Collections and I get nothing. It won't go to the page at all. If I click on Solr Services a page will come up. If I click on ColdFusion collections and then restart the coldfusion addons I get a page that comes up saying

"Unable to retrieve collections from the Search Services.Ensure that you have installed ColdFusion Search Service and it is running."

I am assuming it means it isn't installed.

So I went to Adobe - ColdFusion Support Center : More Downloads and downloaded/installed the Windows Add-on Services Standalone Installer. I didn't change any of the settings or folders and installed it. I restarted the server. I logged back into the coldfusion administrator and I see the same thing. Nothing changed. When I go to view the file folders I have c:coldfuion11 and a c:coldfusionAdd-onServices. Should the coldfusionAdd-onServices folder been within the coldfusion11 folder?

I read you can create your collection through the administrator or through coding a page. I thought maybe I need to try it this way. So I created a page to create the collection and it did not work either.

What am I missing? Did I miss a step or something to make this work?

Any help I can get, I would appreciate.

I have a windows 2008 server.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 10, 2015 Jun 10, 2015

We looked at the ports. It didn't fix our issue. I asked a senior system engineer to work on it for several days to no avail. We had installed on a physical machine. He tested it on a virtual server and it worked just fine. So we decided to just use the virtual machine. The engineer decided it probably had to do with the number of cpu's/cores on the physical machine. I wish you luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2015 Jun 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running CF 11 on virtual machine, and problem persists no matter what.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2015 Oct 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to answer the question that I had posed above. I ended up running option B: being able to address my solr server via http using the local IP address range.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2015 Jun 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. ColdFusion 11 / Windows 2012 R2 / IIS 8.5

ColdFusion 11 add-on service is running, but coldfusion collections link on admin page report an error

Unable to retrieve collections from the Search Services.
Ensure that you have installed ColdFusion Search Service and it is running.

definitely something is messed up in settings, but I could not pinpoint what is it, there is no obvious error in start-up logs or anything else, and I tried running Solr server using different host names 127.0.0.1/localhost/ and an external IP to no avail.

Total showstopper

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2015 Jul 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally, after almost a month of trial and error some sort of a solution has been found.

SOLR must be run on a separate IP address, not just a separate port #.

Not sure if it is a IIS8.5 + ColdFusion 11 "feature", but in this environment this is the only way to make it work.

Within an IIS define a website, bake sure it is binded to some separate IP address, external or internal, and assign some folder, say, d:/empty - this folder may contain nothing; it will be just an empty container for solr engine. Make sure you have ColdFusion configured for this website.

Next, within COLDFUSION admin set SOLR to run off that IP address, restart ColdFusion services and voila, solr collections are there.

What is disappointing is a complete lack of support from Adobe team; months of work wasted to solve this rather trivial problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2016 Oct 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

Could you support me like you made exactly your configuration.

Apparently for you and it was a solution, but it is not entirely clear what the different ip as well as Coldfusion link to another website, different from Default Web Site

Tanks a lot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2015 Oct 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I encountered the same problem on a linux VM - here are the missing pieces I filled in to make it work - no alternate IPs or port updates required.

1) the startup script for the Solr service is somewhat hidden - and not in the same place as it was with CF10 - the new location for CF11 is

/opt/coldfusion11/jetty/cfjetty

this script takes a single argument, which can be one of 'start', 'stop', or 'restart' - I suggest building a 'cfstart' script which will (re)start both CF and the Solr service

2) the cfjetty script pointed to a missing JRE directory - no obvious errors displayed anywhere, only discovered the problem by searching for logs

- edit this script and make sure that the 'SOLR_JVM' setting (around line 9) points to something real

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2016 Mar 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you heard back from Adobe? We have exactly the same problem on our physical server (Windows 2008 R2 Server cluster).

Solr works fine on our development virtual server. Thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I, too, have just encountered a similar error ("Unable to connect to Solr server")

BKBK_0-1678286418387.png

when trying to create a Solr collection on a ColdFusion 2021 Update 5 installation on Windows 10. I wish to share my finding.

I was at first surprised by the error. Then I found out that, by default, the Solr server is not started on ColdFusion. 

The solution was simple: double-click on C:\ColdFusion2021\cfusion\jetty\start.jar 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You shouldn't have to do that on Windows. Look for the add-on service and see if you can start that. If you can't, move it down the startup order by using the DependOnService key. I have no guarantee that'll work, it's just a guess based on old Windows service startup issues, but it's worth a try.

https://serverfault.com/questions/24821/how-to-add-dependency-on-a-windows-service-after-the-service...

Dave Watts, Eidolon LLC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2023 Mar 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Dave. I had checked the (stand-alone) Add-On service, and confirmed it was in "Running" state. However, it appears that ColdFusion does not start the Solr server by default. I expected it to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation