Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ColdFusion 2016 Download and License Transfer Inquiry

New Here ,
Oct 09, 2023 Oct 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe Support and Community,

I am currently in the process of migrating and reconfiguring systems that utilize ColdFusion 2016. For this purpose, I require access to the ColdFusion 2016 installation files.

Understanding that Adobe primarily promotes the latest versions of its software, our current infrastructure and applications are specifically tied to ColdFusion 2016, making it essential to obtain this particular version.

Details of the ColdFusion 2016 setup:

• Edition: Enterprise
  • Version: 2016.0.0.298074
  • Operating System: Windows Server 2012 R2

I would greatly appreciate it if you could provide a direct download link or guidance on obtaining the installation files for ColdFusion 2016.

Furthermore, within the "About" section in the ColdFusion Administrator, I can view the current serial number. I wish to know if it's possible to directly use this serial number on the new server after installing ColdFusion 2016? Are there any specific steps or considerations for license transfer?

Thank you for your assistance. Any help from the community and support team is highly valued.

Best regards,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can download the installer for CF 2016, or nearly any other CFML engine, at CFML Repo:

https://cfmlrepo.com/

I don't know about transferring licenses, though. I suspect that's different between one version of CF and another.

Dave Watts, Eidolon LLC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Alexis32811824dpcl 

There is a process to transfer the license. You will need to fill out the form and then it can be transferred. You can send an email to us as it cannot be done here. - cfsup@adobe.com

Thanks,
Priyank Shrivastava

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 12, 2023 Oct 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize you may be "all set now", Alexis. But for the sake of others who may find this and with all due respect to Dave and Priyank (sincerely), I have a different take on both aspects of this question.

First, if you're decommissioning the old servers, there should be no need of any formal transfer of the license. Just use the old license on the new server, and stop using it on the old server. (With license activation in cf2021 and up, you'd instead need to deactivate a license on one machine before using it on another). My understanding is that "transfer" of a license is only relevant when formally moving ownership of the license from one owner to another. That doesn't seem to be the case here.

Priyank, any thoughts on that?

Second, as for finding the old cf installer, it's NOT that Adobe no longer offers old versions once a new one comes out: it's only that they don't offer them on the pages that PUBLICLY offer a cf download. On the contrary, for those who PURCHASED a license, they would have been given an account on either of two licensing sites where downloads from years ago still remain (but you will see only those you BOUGHT), along with your license keys. One is older, https://licensing.adobe.com/. The other is newer: https://account.adobe.com/products. And you may need to use or the other. Either REQUIRES  a login. If you are not the person who licensed cf for your company, you need to find who did and have them login to get the keys or downloads. This is where some may run out of road. 

In that case, as Dave mentioned, there's the cfmlrepo.com site, managed by trusted community members (myself included), but I realize some may be unwilling to use/trust that site. That's why it's important to hear the previous info on "getting from Adobe the installers you paid for". Sadly, when people complain of this, that info is generally not offered and the feeling of being "stuck" perpetuates.

FWIW, I learned of the second site above only rather recently, myself. Better still, I got Adobe to offer both links publicly with a recent update to the "cf downloads page" (at https://helpx.adobe.com/coldfusion/kb/coldfusion-downloads.html). While that's really only for downloading things RELATED to CF, I got them to at least add a box at the top of the cf2021 section pointing to these two licensing sites, as a step in helping solve this common dilemma. I realize Alexis being on cf2016 may not have looked there.

(Finally, it's indeed a grave risk to be running that version--which has had no updates, including security updates, in over 2 years. It's even more grave to run older versions, and indeed risky now to still be running cf2018, which got its last updates in July, while cf2021 and cf2023 have both had two updates since then. But I suspect a migration and new license purchase is not the "solution" Alexis wanted to hear as an answer to his question. Again, I offer this as clarification for other readers as well.) 

I welcome feedback or correction on any of the above. 

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an update on what I shared earlier today, and Alexis I hope you will please consider especially what I'm about to say:

I noticed that the https://account.adobe.com/products page I pointed to above DOES in fact offer a field where you can REGISTER a license key you have--and as long as it's not one that someone else already registered to their own account, that will not only track it for you there (again, in your personal account which no one else can see), but here's great news...doing that will also offer you the downloads of even old versions (again, that you have a license for).

I confirmed it by adding my various past CF serial numbers (which I had never registered here before), for CF2023, 2021, 2018, 2016, and even 11, and it showed me a download button for each. When I took that, it offered me the correct choice of CF installers (for that version, for the various OSs and bit levels), as well as related CF installers (add-on service installer, api manager installer, and more) for that older CF version.

I want to spread the news more widely in a blog post, but I'd like to start with first seeing if you (or anyone else reading this post) might confirm the same thing. I want to make sure it's not something perhaps somehow unique to my account. I really would not expect it. Dave, could you try it perhaps, with any one CF serial number you may own, if any?

Dave and I are Adobe ACPs, so again the best news will be if you try it, Alexis (or anyone else not associated otherwise with Adobe). Hope that's helpful.

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's a good idea, but I don't know if I have any licenses! I'll look around and see what I can find.

Dave Watts, Eidolon LLC 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation