• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ColdFusion 2016 won't start after Update 17

Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Udpate 16 was working fine, after applying Update 17, ColdFusion Application Service no longer starts properly. 

Browsers get 500 Internal Server Error

coldfusion.server.ServiceFactory$ServiceNotAvailableException: The Runtime service is not available.

From the logs and cfstart console output:

Mar 28, 2021 22:26:19 PM Error [localhost-startStop-1] - Unable to initialise Security service: java.lang.NoSuchFieldError: TRACE
java.util.MissingResourceException: Can't find resource key "CFStartUpServlet.notInitialised" in base name coldfusion/server/j2ee/resource.properties

Mar 28, 2021 10:26:19 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext loadOnStartup
SEVERE: Servlet [ColdFusionStartUpServlet] in web application [] threw load() exception
java.util.MissingResourceException: Can't find resource key "CFStartUpServlet.notInitialised" in base name coldfusion/server/j2ee/resource.properties

Any ideas from this forum? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bummer that you're experiencing this. But it can happen.

First, I suspect the problem is not what the error messages there show, but ones that happened BEFORE them in the startup of CF. Can you report what is the FIRST error upon startup, in the coldfusion-error.log and coldfusion-out.log? Or can you confirm these are indeed the first?

As for such errors, often it's not BECAUSE of the update but due to something else. For example, it may be that CF had not been restarted for days or weeks, and something could have changed in the CF configuration files leading to such an error.

If you may be running CF as a service, you may also want to try running it from the command prompt. In the cfusion/bin folder is a cfstart script. Stop the CF service and then run that. Do you get any different result there? You may not, but it's worth a try.

I will say that if you have trouble solving this on your own, I have helped people with such problems about weekly, and again there can be any of many causes and solutions. If you would rather it get resolved ASAP, I can offer help via direct remote screensharing (or even just over the phone if necessary). Find more in the consulting page at carehart.org.

But otherwise, we can keep trying here (and others may well chime in with new thoughts for you).

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I am experiencing a very similar symptom as the OP's with the difference being that I'm trying to upgrade CF2018 with hotfix 11.

The coldfusion-out.log is pretty bare with just these few lines after startup:

05/11 14:59:14 INFO License Service: Flex 1.5 CF Edition enabled
05/11 14:59:14 INFO Starting Flex 1.5 CF Edition
May 11, 2021 14:59:15 PM Information [main] - Starting logging...
May 11, 2021 14:59:15 PM Information [main] - Starting license...
May 11, 2021 14:59:15 PM Information [main] - Evaluation Edition enabled
May 11, 2021 14:59:15 PM Information [main] - Starting crypto...
May 11, 2021 14:59:15 PM Information [main] - Installed JSafe JCE provider: Version 3.6 RSA Security Inc. Crypto-J JCE Security Provider (implements RSA, DSA, Diffie-Hellman, AES, DES, Triple DES, DESX, RC2, RC4, RC5, PBE, MD2, MD5, RIPEMD160, SHA1, SHA224, SHA256, SHA384, SHA512, HMAC-MD5, HMAC-RIPEMD160, HMAC-SHA1, HMAC-SHA224, HMAC-SHA256, HMAC-SHA384, HMAC-SHA512)
May 11, 2021 14:59:15 PM Information [main] - Starting security...
May 11, 2021 14:59:16 PM Error [main] - Unable to initialise Security service: java.lang.NoSuchFieldError: TRACE
05/11 14:59:16 INFO Macromedia Flex Build: 87315.134646

The coldfusion-error.log has coupld warnings but the first error is what the OP listed (note that this seems to be the CF program logging the error from Catalina but immediately afterwards the CF program throws an error with the same stack trace):

May 11, 2021 2:59:14 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: ColdFusionStartUpServlet: ColdFusion: VM version = 25.271-b25
	at coldfusion.util.RB.getString(RB.java:156)
	at coldfusion.util.RB.getMessage(RB.java:618)
	at coldfusion.util.RB.getString(RB.java:340)
	at coldfusion.server.j2ee.CFStartUpServlet.init(CFStartUpServlet.java:519)
	at javax.servlet.GenericServlet.init(GenericServlet.java:158)

When you try to hit any CF pages, including the CFAdmin page, you get the following error:

May 11, 2021 2:59:17 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext loadOnStartup
SEVERE: Servlet [ServerCFCServlet] in web application [] threw load() exception
coldfusion.server.ServiceFactory$ServiceNotAvailableException: The Runtime service is not available.
	at coldfusion.server.ServiceFactory.getRuntimeService(ServiceFactory.java:121)
	at coldfusion.cfc.ServerCFCServlet.init(ServerCFCServlet.java:31)
	at javax.servlet.GenericServlet.init(GenericServlet.java:158)
	at coldfusion.bootstrap.ClassloaderHelper.initServletClass(ClassloaderHelper.java:121)
	at coldfusion.bootstrap.BootstrapServlet.init(BootstrapServlet.java:111)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.initServlet(StandardWrapper.java:1122)

I tried as you suggested to stop the service and run the cfstart.bat script but I still get 500s and the console shows the same errors as the coldfusion-out.log and coldfusion-error.log files contain when using the service.

Not sure if that little bit of extra information means much.

Thanks in advance!

Huajun

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Huajun, we found some jar files in WEB-INF/lib that were causing our issue with HF17. Specifically it was a log4j.jar file that had been there for years and for whatever reason was not working after HF17. Unfortunately none of the log files indicated anything like this but Adobe support was finally able to pinpoint this as the issue. It took a few weeks of back and forth troubleshooting with them, but in the end they were able to help us. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, Clayton, Thanks for sharing that. I was writing my last reply while yours arrived.

So can you clarify: are you saying you now have NO log4j jar file in that lib folder? Or some new one?

Or is there one in the cfusion/lib folder (or the instancesname/lib if yiu are using instances)? I'm not on my computer as I write this, to check my own setup.

If it may be that there is one in the cf lib and this other in the web-inf/lib is not usually there, an interesting question would be how it got there. Some people do add in such jars on their own, to solve some problem or enable some feature not native to cf. That could come back to bite if somehow later cf would trip over it, as it seemed to here.

It will also be very interesting to hear if Huajun does report having the same. If not, there could be some other non-standard jar in that WEB-INF/lib, perhaps.

Again, thanks for sharing that news. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We just ended up copying an existing log4j jar file used in the cfusion\lib directory to the WEB-INF/lib directory... filename is log4j-1.2.15.jar.  I noticed coldfusion is using a somewhat different version in the cfusion\jetty\lib\ext directory (log4j-1.2.17.jar)... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, but did you even need to copy that jar? Had you tried just removing the one from WEB-INF/lib and restarting cf?

It seems risky to have a dupe if not needed--especially if some later cf version might update the one in the cfuson/lib. (And while cf2016 will get no more updates, I'm speaking of the problem generally, for any cf version.)

Finally, as for the cfusion/jetty, that has nothing to do with processing of cf itself, but only of the "add-on service", which provides support for cf's sole and cfhtmltopdf processing, in its own process separate from cf's. Just offering that clarification if it may help anyone. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We initially removed all the nonstandard jars we found in that directory (there were quite a few that had apparently piled up in there over the many years) but in the end we found the log4j one was the only one preventing it from starting. I can't say for sure if we need that logging jar there or not, but we did end up putting the newer version in that directory as well. 

I'm not really the subject matter expert on the dev side here, just trying to help them get these patches installed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Clayton and Charlie for all the advice!

Clayton's fix of copying log4j-1.2.15.jar. from cfusion\lib folder to cfusion\wwwroot\WEB-INF\lib folder did the trick!  CF now starts up and I'm able to hit CF pages and CF Admin.  I still don't understand why but hey, it works 🙂

You guys are amazing!  Thanks again for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Update: see my response from several mins later, above, in reply to Clayton who was writing about the same time as my comment here. I'll leave what I've said, in case his suggestion to Huajun doesn't bear fruit.) 

Huajun, I'm sorry to say that it seems unlikely anyone will be able to solve this for you based solely on that info. I realize it's very disappointing when things just don't work.

FWIW, this specific set of messages seems unique to you and Clayton. Note that no one else had chimed in.

I will offer to you what I did to him: I think I could help you solve this problem quickly in a remote screen-share session, whatever its cause may be.

Perhaps like him, you may feel you shouldn't have to pay to solve this problem. I can say that if we don't solve it and you find no value in our time together, you won't pay for that time. We might solve this in an hour or less, or perhaps even 15 mins or less. If you're at all interested, see my site, carehart.org/consulting. It should answer all questions, or I can via direct contact info that's offered there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation