• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

coldfusion 2021 update 4: no directory for update 4, use the current Java or bundled Java

Explorer ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Three questions.

I am attempting to install update 4 on ColdFusion 2021 running on Windows Server 2019, but it fails and I have roll it back with Java and the uninstaller.jar.  Is it correct that the update should be installed using the Java which was bundled with CF in jre/bin, rather than the current version of Java which CF is using?  The manual update says to "Update "packagesurl" in cfusion/lib/neo_updates.xml of cfusion and all its child instances to point to <InstallerReposityUnzippedPath>/bundles/bundlesdependency.json present inside the downloaded folder.", however update 4 is only a jar file in bundles/updateinstallers, so to which bundlesdependency.json should be used in neo_updates.xml?  Also, as of update 3, is CF2021 now able to function with a current version of Java and have sandbox security enabled?

TOPICS
Server administration

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to run the update with the java that ColdFusion is using, if your ColdFusion is pointed to java which is installed in the Program Files directory, you need to run the update using that Java.

If you do not have internet connectivity then you need to follow the manual steps for applying the update.

Let us know whether you have launched Command prompt as admin, also can you share the Coldfusion update log while applying the update

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran the update manually most recently from the command prompt, after opening the command prompt as the administrator.  The Java which is used by ColdFusion 2021 in the path and so that was the Java used.  I had previously tried running the install from within CF but that also failed.  The log of the manual installation is attached.  I would still like to know what instance of bundlesdependency.json should be referenced in neo-updates.xml.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should not reference the bundledependency.json of any existing ColdFusion instance. It would be like applying the ColdFusion update with the existing version of packages that are already installed.

You need to download the zip file of repository from the Adobe site , extract it and then point the neo-updates.xml with the bundledependency.json that you have downloaded.

For Coldfusion 2021 update 4 you can download repository from below link

https://cfdownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/coldfusion/2021/packages/hotfix-packages-cf2021-002-328618.zi...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That link is for update 2.  I need update 4.  Am I missing something here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to download update 4 hotfix jar file from below link

https://cfdownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/coldfusion/2021/updates/hotfix-004-330004.jar

Once downloaded you can download the repository from the link which was provided in previous update.Since there are no changes for the packages after update 2, i.e update 3 and update 4 are only security updates.

If you are applying update 4 on top of update 3 no need to download the repository, you can just download hotfix jar file and apply it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is the update 4 jar file which I have been trying to use before I contacted Adobe support, and it has failed every time. 

1) Did you discover anything from the log file I uploaded previously?

2) If I run this manaully, what should be the path of bundlesdependency.json in the neo-updates.xml file, since that file was not part of the jar file for update 4?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have reviewed the log file that was provided, but there are no errors in the log , form the logs it looks like the update was applied successfully. 

Let us know were you facing any issues while accessing the application.

Also, did you run the hotfix file using the same java to which ColdFusion was pointed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The update was applied with the same Java which ColdFusion is using.  After the "successful" application of update 4, I could not get to the CFadmin login page, getting a null pointer error.

If I run this manaully, what should be the path of bundlesdependency.json in the neo-updates.xml file, since that file was not part of the jar file for update 4?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can refer to ColdFusion 2021 update 4 release document under the section "INSTALL THE UPDATE IN OFFLINE MODE MANUALLY, 

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/coldfusion/kb/coldfusion-2021-update-4.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The documentation refers to a update 4 directory for bundlesdependency.json which does not exist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2022 Jul 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @michaelf34344382 ,

I have a suggestion:

1.  Open the Command Prompt as Administrator.
  2.  Using the DOS command cd, navigate to the directory E:\Java\jdk-11.0.13\bin.
  3.  In DOS, run the Java command to uninstall CF2021 Update 4, namely:
        java -jar C:\ColdFusion2021\cfusion\hf-updates\hf-2021-00004-330004\uninstall\uninstaller.jar
       ( If the uninstallation is successful, proceed to the next step)
  4.  Go to the ColdFusion Downloads page and download and install jdk-11.0.16_windows-x64_bin.exe. Following your own custom, the installation directory should be E:\Java\jdk-11.0.16.
  5.  Edit the java.home property in C:\ColdFusion2021\cfusion\bin\jvm.config so that it becomes:
        java.home=E:\Java\jdk-11.0.16
  6.   Restart ColdFusion. The previous update of CF2021 should now (re)start, on Java 11.0.16.
  7.   Open the ColdFusion Administrator.
  8.   In the Administrator page, click on the (i) button in the top right-hand corner. That should open the System Information page. Confirm that ColdFusion is indeed running on Java 11.0.16.
  9.   In the Administrator, go to the Package Manager page (last but one menu item). Click on Available Packages.
         The CF2021 Update 4 package should be available for installation. 
         Install it (in the Administrator).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying that the CF update 4 installation should work better if I am running on that newer version of Java?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the suggestion is to help you to successfully install CF2021 Update 4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please send an email to cf.install@adobe.com, we will start working on the case

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just sent that email

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can yoiu send me another meeting request?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@michaelf34344382 , you have mentioned that your installation was "successful". I doubt that.

Your installation log contains the following 2 lines:

1.  "Installation: Successful null"
  2.   "Additional Notes: NOTE - Required Disk Space:31,723,862 Bytes Free Disk Space:-1 Bytes "

Those are the reasons why I doubt the installation.

Uninstall.

Make sure there is sufficient disk space.

Try installing again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think there is insuffient disk space.  For the two disks on the server, one has 42GB free and the other has 319CG free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael, I know you are working directly with Adobe support now, but going back to your first message, you say the update failed--but the log you showed indicates that it worked, with zero errors. What led you to feel it had failed?

Also, as for the docs suggesting you use the jvm cf came with (when doing the command line update), the point there is more to keep people from running it with a JVM that Cf does not support. Since cf2021 currently supports Java 11 only, that would mean any other later or earlier jvm one might have installed.

To be clear, as long as the jvm you use is 11, it doesn't matter where it's installed or if cf is using that EXACT one.

As for the confusion over the manual steps since update 2, and the whole packages url thing, that is indeed unfortunate and Adobe could considerably improve the technote discussion of that.

Finally, to your last question in the first note: "as of update 3, is CF2021 now able to function with a current version of Java and have sandbox security enabled?"

First, no cf update for cf2021 has changed anything about the jvm version supported: it's only Java 11. Perhaps the next update could add support for the newest LTS Java version, 17. Only time will tell.

But you seem to be suggesting that some Java version kept cf from working with the cf sandbox feature. I'm not aware of any such connection. I will say that recent Java versions are marking the java security manager feature as "deprecated", and the sandbox feature does rely on that. So SOME day the sandbox feature will no longer work with some future jvm version (some are speculating Java 21, the next LTS release, due Sept 2023). Again, only time will tell. I sure hope Adobe is attending to that potentiality.

Hope something above is helpful. 

If you may see this only after you meet with Adobe and perhaps you solve things, I hope you'll be sure to offer an update, even if only in that thread with Ravi. But either way, if you could confirm you see this and what I've shared (especially on these other matters you raised), it would be appreciated. 

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The log indicated that the installation of update 4 was successful, but when I tried to go to the CFadmin login page, I got a NullPointer error, and no opportunity to log in.

About a year ago Adobe provided me with a custom update file to allow CF2021 to run with sandbox security and a Java version higher than 11.0.10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael, about your inability to login to the admin, I'd assert that there must be something else you did (beside the cf update) that led to that. Are you perhaps fiddling with CF config files for some reason? Like the server.xml? Or neo*.xml files? Or removing log4j files you think "aren't needed", for instance?

As for the custom update file, that's interesting. I assume you mean a jar, that you're to drop into the lib/updates folder. I'd be curious: after your doing the cf update, of course any jars you'd added there would be removed. Are you adding them back? If you take them out, does the null pointer go away? (If not, or if this does not apply, I still strongly recommend you consider the first points in my comment here.)

And as for the need of a fix for using the CF sandbox feature beyond 11.0.10, again I'd not heard of that. Can you share the name of the fix file, so that others interested could ask Adobe for it (or to find it in tracker)? Thanks. 

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 10, 2022 Aug 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Last night I successfully installed update 4 on CF2021 using the CFadmin
GUI.  After the update was complete I copied the custom hotfix (hf202100.4212161.jar) to ..\cfusion\lib\updates.  I restarted the CF App service and everything was working fine.  No log4j or neo files had were altered or removed.

Thanks to everyone for their input and suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation