• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Coldfusion slow to start because of datasources?

New Here ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have several CF2016 instances on a server and each instance seems to take several minutes to start. Sometimes the instance seems to have started and then I see that it is not running nor starting in Services.

I have ~270 datasources on each instance and sometimes during a failed startup I see timeout errors for datasources in the log.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When I say the service does not start the Windows Services GUI shows it as not running and the instance is not in the Task Manager either.

No hs_err_pid files are on the server. My main concern was that the service seemed slower than it should be starting up. Older version of Coldfusion never seemed this slow. When the instances don't start it is after a long time waiting, so I assumed the same reason the service might die starting may be the same reason it is slow to start normally.  The service startup seems to be super intensive, taking a server using 10-20% CPU to using all 8 CPUs at 100% for a few minutes.

Next time I will try to pay attention to the resource monitor, I'll also be sure to preserve logs if the service dies again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tylerc  wrote

From what everyone seems to be asking me I am going to assume no one knows a reason that datasources would slow down a service start, so my question may be flawed from the start.

Your question is not flawed. It can be difficult to distinguish between a bottle-neck at the application level and one at the server level. My view is that your server instances start on time, without issue! The bottle-necks are probably caused by database connections that your applications make or attempt to make early on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, I thought his issue was that the instances don't come up, rather than that the app runs and has a bottleneck. I hope he will confirm either way.

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation