• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Coldfusion version required for cfwebsocket

New Here ,
Apr 29, 2018 Apr 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using CF11 Standard and need to use websockets. Do i need to upgrade to the Enterprise version to do this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 30, 2018 Apr 30, 2018

First to clarify, Nick is right. WebSockets are absolutely supported in Std or Ent, and yes, with the original release of the support with CF10 the Std edition had a throttle of 100 simult requests. That was lifted in 11 (and of course remains “lifted” in 2016), but yes the clustered support feature remains Ent-only.

As for your challenge and your last note, are you accessing it via your external web server (IIS or Apache), or the internal CF web server (port 8500, by default)? If the former, the

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Apr 30, 2018 Apr 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to this support page, there is nothing mentioned about it only working in Enterprise CF.  I would suspect the standard CF deployment supports it.

HTH,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the Developer Edition, and can confirm that the Websockets is available in DE.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Developer Edition basically has all the features of Enterprise, so I'm not sure that means a lot.

Dave Watts, Fig Leaf Software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Searching online I also see no restriction by Standard vs Enterprise, although I thought there was.  I believe back in CF 10 when the feature was introduced, there was a 100 connection limit for Standard edition.  For CF 2016 the buying guide only seems to represent cluster support for web sockets as an Enterprise-only feature.  Not sure where this leave CF11.  The buying guide for CF 11 standard listed websocket support for standard, but it was not quite as clear: https://www.adobe.com/products/coldfusion-standard/buying-guide.html

-Nic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks guys. I've been unable to get cfwebsocket to work. It doesn't generate an error, but processing stops after that tag. I was just attempting to run Awdhesh Kumar's example code. But then I noticed that he said that CF 2016 Enterprise edition was required. Hence my question. CF Admin included all the setup items for websocket setup, and I couldn't find anywhere else that suggested that it was restricted to the Enterprise version. Hence my question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First to clarify, Nick is right. WebSockets are absolutely supported in Std or Ent, and yes, with the original release of the support with CF10 the Std edition had a throttle of 100 simult requests. That was lifted in 11 (and of course remains “lifted” in 2016), but yes the clustered support feature remains Ent-only.

As for your challenge and your last note, are you accessing it via your external web server (IIS or Apache), or the internal CF web server (port 8500, by default)? If the former, there is additional work to be done in both the Admin and in setting up a connector for websockets. Have you attended to those?

Also, since you say processing “stops after the tag”, are you saying that you put some other processing after that (like a cfdump or cflog) and you can confirm that does NOT run? And in that you say that it “doesn’t generate an error”, do you mean on screen? Or do you mean you have checked all the CF logs when this happens? (BTW, don’t trust the date/time modified on the logs. Open the top 5-10 of them and go to the bottom to make sure there’s no error info about the problem.)

/charlie

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for confirming that it should run. No, I haven't done any additional setup, having only looked in CF Admin, which appeared that everything was set up ready to go. It is on my external webserver, Also, I placed a cfdump before the cfwebsocket tag, and then after it. The first one displayed a result, but the second one didn't. And I did check the error logs and didn't see anything relevant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2018 May 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I replied to Chris separately (he had emailed me directly, as we have traded emails before). Since he is wanting to have CF websocket processing happen by way of his external web server (IIS or Apache), he needs to enable that in both the CF Admin and the CF web server connector. I pointed out to him that if he just googles:

coldfusion websockets IIS

The first several results show what needs to be done.

/charlie

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2018 May 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just a follow-up to complete this, I'm currently running IIS 7.5, which doesn't support websockets. So, I need to upgrade my webserver to at least windows server 2012 and IIS 8.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation