• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Colfusion Builder 3 Freezing on large cfc files, how to resolve?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2016 Feb 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on a Windows 7 64-bit pro machine reading network files.  It seems that when I have a cfc that gets a little too long then I randomly have CFB3 freeze up and never return.  I have to force it closed and then open it again.  I luckily have a copy of HomeSite that I use to edit these files with no problem, but it is getting annoying as it seems to be doing it more and more.  When I say large files they are not that large, the one that just froze up is only 2345 lines of code.

Searching the Internet I find things to try but they are all for CFB2.  I have tried a few things but I still seem to have the problem.

I will try right now to Disable Syntax Checking and see if that helps, but it is unfortunate that I have to disable all the features to edit my files.  Anyone have any other ideas to try to help it work better?  And I can't seem to find a roadmap to CFB, are they going to continue to make it better?

TOPICS
Builder

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 04, 2016 Feb 04, 2016

Have you tried simply raising the heap setting? It’s not in the UI, but in a config file. There is also a heap monitor option built-into CFB (in the Preferences) which can be enabled.

Let me know if you need details for either of these (but you should be able to find both with some searching).

/charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2016 Feb 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried simply raising the heap setting? It’s not in the UI, but in a config file. There is also a heap monitor option built-into CFB (in the Preferences) which can be enabled.

Let me know if you need details for either of these (but you should be able to find both with some searching).

/charlie

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2016 Feb 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for pointing that tip out.  I will give it a try and try to come back and answer that you had the "Correct Answer" if it doesn't freeze this next week.

For others that stumble across this post, here is what I found.

In Coldfusion Builder 3

For viewing the error log:

click on the menu "Window > Show View > Other > General > Error log"

For Viewing the Heap Size:

"Window > Preferences > General > Show heap Status"

You will then see it on the bottom of CFB as a bar.

Right-clicking on the heap bar you can select "Show Max Heap"

"Run Garbage Collector" runs System.gc()

Increasing Heap Size:

Locate cfbuilder.ini (Mine was located at C:\ColdFusionBuilder3\cfbuilder.ini)

Change these settings:

-Xmx512m (Max heap size)

-Xms256m (min heap size)

-XX:MaxPermSize=256m (3rd part of the memory, max Value of Permanent Space)

-XX:PermSize=64m (initial value of permanent space)

Learn more about heap sizes:

http://www.avricot.com/blog/?post/2010/05/03/Get-started-with-java-JVM-memory-(heap%2C-stack%2C-xss-......)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 13, 2016 Feb 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So how did it go?

/charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2016 Feb 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far so good.  I haven't had a freeze up since I did one of the two:

1) Your suggestion, raising the heap setting

2)  Disabling Syntax Checking (Window > Preferences > Coldfusion > Profiles > Editor > Syntax Checking > "Enable Syntax Checking" (unchecked)

Maybe I am writing prematurely, if I have a freeze again I will let you know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2016 Feb 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had a freeze up and my heap size looks great.  I guess something else is messing with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2018 Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And like most Adobe related problems this one will just sit and linger endlessly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 29, 2018 Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, no, problems of this sort have indeed been addressed many times over since CFB3 (from 2014). I just replied to your post about this same issue in a thread also on CFB3 (and from 2014). What I offered there stands for you and anyone else who comes across this in the future.

https://forums.adobe.com/message/10588696#10588696

/charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation