• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

distinct on more than one field

Enthusiast ,
Feb 14, 2008 Feb 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a table that has two fields in there, let's say field1 and field2.

I need to somehow join these together to get a distinct list of records from each, as if they were one, so for example
field1,field2

If I query WHERE field1=1 or field2=1

I need to get one one result 10,12,4,6 which gives me all the records relating to record 1 regardless of the order

Can anybody help me with this?

Thanks

Mark
TOPICS
Database access

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use2 UNION queries and a loop.
Both unions will give you distinct results.

query_1
Select field1 as x
from mytable
UNION
Select field2
from mytable

query_2
Select field1
from mytable
where field2 = #query_1.x#
UNION
Select field2
from mytable
where field1 = #query_1.x#

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so this would be to totally unique queries? Or can this be built into one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try a case statement

SELECT DISTINCT CASE WHEN field1 = 1 THEN field2 ELSE field1 END AS FieldValue
FROM TheTable
WHERE Field1 = 1 OR Field2 = 1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: ACS LLC
I have a table that has two fields in there, let's say field1 and field2.

I need to somehow join these together to get a distinct list of records from each, as if they were one, so for example
field1,field2

If I query WHERE field1=1 or field2=1

I need to get one one result 10,12,4,6 which gives me all the records relating to record 1 regardless of the order

Can anybody help me with this?

Thanks

Mark

What is your db? If you are using one that allows you to select by row number, you are in luck. Or, if you know the 1st row has the lowest value of field 1, that also makes it pretty simple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using SQL2005

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try using CASE? Is order important?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Feb 15, 2008 Feb 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about something like this?

SELECT DISTINCT either_field
FROM
(SELECT field1 AS either_field
FROM yourtable
WHERE field1=1 OR field2=1
UNION
SELECT field2 AS either_field
FROM yourtable
WHERE field1=1 OR field2=1) AS tbl
ORDER BY either_field

Phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think field1=1 or field2=1 was just an example. He needs ALL unique values of both fields with any value of the other field not just 1. So it could be mine or Paross solution with addition of dinamic value passed as variable or result of other query.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've decided that this is going to cause to many complications, therefore I'm using a different approach altogether where I store a list of comma delim' numbers in one field... less records, faster access time.. I'll use CF to slice it up as I need to and write it back to the dbase

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

.....where I store a list of comma delim' numbers in one field
Oooooh, VERY bad idea..... very BAD design. By denormalizing your data, you are asking for many more problems than you think that you are solving.

Phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really?

I only ever have to search by the unique UID of the user, so if I need the record for user 123 I just search on the user record for user_uid=123 and I retrieve the list, I will never have to search through the list in SQL, just get the data

My concern on top of the complex code is that if I have let's say 200,000 members, and each one has an average of say 25 'friends', that's 5,000,000 records... and I actually anticipate a LOT more with potentially higher averages per person... I'm relucant to have a query gather a record set from a list that could span 10-20M or more records for multiple users at the same time... could get ugly.

I could always 'undo' the work I've done as we grow, but I can't see any problems with the way I'm doing it...yet! 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is hard to comment on what you are doing because you gave an incomplete picture of what you were trying to do, and only asked for a narrow example. Judging from your last statement, I have a hunch that you may have a data model problem that may be helped by proper normalization, but it is hard to say without more specific information on your current design, and description of what you are really trying to accomplish (not how you think that you may accomplish it).

Phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

understood.

Unfortunately I can't post all the ins and outs of the project into a public forum right now.

I think I'll go with my model and see how it pans out.. I can always change it at a later date :)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you talking about a many-to-many relationship between members and friends? Are both (members and friends) listed in the "members" table? Are you trying to do something like being able to list all of the friends of a particular member, etc.?

Phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Really?

I only ever have to search by the unique UID of the user, so if I need the record for user 123 I just search on the user record for user_uid=123 and I retrieve the list, I will never have to search through the list in SQL, just get the data

My concern on top of the complex code is that if I have let's say 200,000 members, and each one has an average of say 25 'friends', that's 5,000,000 records... and I actually anticipate a LOT more with potentially higher averages per person... I'm relucant to have a query gather a record set from a list that could span 10-20M or more records for multiple users at the same time... could get ugly.

I could always 'undo' the work I've done as we grow, but I can't see any problems with the way I'm doing it...yet! ;-)

Paross was right. Everything you mention describes a simple many to many relationship. For all I know, that's what you had when you wrote the original post.

Lots of records are no big deal. If you have that much data it will easier and quicker to get than it from a normalized schema than from varchar fields containing list.

In fact, paross's answer timestamped 02/15/2008 03:27:06 PM is the best one on this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I pretty much understand his solution, it is more or less the same as my first approach. But the huge amount of records that I could create is still of concern to me.

The largest set of records I've ever handled was around 26M, at this point even with indexing in the right places it started to slow down. This site could have similar amounts but more hits.

What sort of problems do you forsee if I do it the other way with one record and a comma delim' list? note that I won't search that list only the uid of the person (member) that I need to refer to

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since your "link" table is essentially the only one that is really going to have the large number of rows, and since it would be comprised of two ID fields that could/should be easily indexed, you really shouldn't experience a significant performance hit unless you are doing something much more complex in your queries. I can not see any other method that would not be worse in regards to performance, and certainly not better in regards to simplified code.

Phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

I pretty much understand his solution, it is more or less the same as my first approach. But the huge amount of records that I could create is still of concern to me.

The largest set of records I've ever handled was around 26M, at this point even with indexing in the right places it started to slow down. This site could have similar amounts but more hits.

What sort of problems do you forsee if I do it the other way with one record and a comma delim' list? note that I won't search that list only the uid of the person (member) that I need to refer to

Your sql will be
where field1 = 1
or field2 like '1,%'
or field2 like '%,1,%'
or field2 like '%,1'

Put in a few thousand records and see how fast that one is. And bear in mind, this is only step one. You still have to loop through all the lists to get the ids, and then run another query to get the names.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: Dan Bracuk
Put in a few thousand records and see how fast that one is.

Yes, that has to be one of the worst performing options. Forget about any utilization of indexes. Not to mention increased data integrity problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 16, 2008 Feb 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dan,

I'm going to go with the suggestion that paross1 made, it seems that the only vote I got for my method was by myself ;-)

I see you are online right now and I'm trying to get some sort of structure in over the weekend but I'm having a slight amount of trouble getting to terms with the exact SQL, would you have time to give me a little assistance with this? :)

Thanks

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

correct, many to many.. user 1 might have 400 friends. both friends are friends of each other 1 is to 2.. as 2 is to 1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very simple fix. You need what is called an "associative entity" which is a fancy name for a link table between "members" and "friends" in order to resolve the many-to-many relationship. Because "friends" are also "members", then the link to the member table will be essentially self referential.

Lets say you have a member table, and you wish to link to other members as friends, then you could create a table named friends with member_id and friend_id feilds. Both the member_id and friend_id fields are foreign keys back to the member table member_id field, but each row in the friends table would contain the member_id of the member, and the friend_id (member_id) of the friend.

Lets say that you have Joe, and his member_id is 1, and his friends are Fred (member_id = 2) and Mary (member_id 3). You would have two rows in the friends table, each would have a member_id value of 1, but different friend_id values (2 and 3 respectively). In order to find out who Joe's friends were, you could write a query like this:

SELECT m1.name AS member,
m2.name AS friend
FROM member m1
INNER JOIN friend f ON m1.member_id = f.member_id
INNER JOIN member m2 ON f.friend_id = m2.member_id
WHERE m1.name = 'Joe'

...or something similar

Phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the in-depth reply.

This I believe is how I was going to do it in the first place, the problem was that I would end up with millions upon millions of records, which could cause performance issues

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what I need to do is set it up and fill it with millions of records and run some stress tests.. something like 50M records

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation