• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you get the IV + SALT + Message from a hexadecimal string?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I am trying to exchange data, via a REST service I wrote with a 3rd party.  We are using AES Symmetric encryption, which means I need to get an IV and a SALT from a large hexadecimal encoded string, and use that SALT (with a shared password) to generate the apprpriate key to decrypt the message part of the hexadecimal string.  My problem is coming with converting the hexadecimal string into a readable SALT.

Here is my current code designed to read the hexadecimal string.  You will notice that I am merely taking pieces of the string off (as the representative characters of the bytes represented) using Left and Mid.  I then attempt to binaryEncode the strings as hex, and then I binaryDecode them as base64.  While this produces a SALT that is of the same character lenght as the correct SALT, it does not produce the correct SALT.

What would be the correct way to decode a hexadecimal string to extract an IV + SALT + Message in a way that I can convert them to readable formats for decrypt() and generatePBKDFKey().

pwd = "REDACTED FOR SECURITY";
                encryptionAlgorithm = "AES/GCM/NoPadding";
                PBKDFalgorithm = "PBKDF2WithSHA256";
                str_len = Len(data);
                iter = 65536;
                key_size = 128;

str_nonce = Left(data, 24); //gets the NONCE  try at 23
                str_salt = Mid(data, 25, 40); //gets the SALT

salt_dec = binaryDecode(str_salt, 'hex'); //converts SALT string to a binary
                    salt_conv = binaryEncode(salt_dec, 'base64');  //converts SALT binary to a base64 string
                    msg_locate = ((str_len - 32)-64); //figures out how long the message is.

str_message = Mid(data, 65, msg_locate); //gets the message characters.

hex_dec = binaryDecode(str_message, 'hex'); //converts the message string to a binary    

string_conv = binaryEncode(hex_dec, 'base64'); // converts the message binary to a base64 string

str_tag = Right(data, 32);

derivedKey = GeneratePBKDFKey(PBKDFalgorithm ,pwd,salt_conv,iter,key_size); //generates a decryption key with the above parameters.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 19, 2021 Sep 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To start with, debug by outputting each string. You can then see whether each is what you expect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation