Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ImageResize: unable to cast an object of [B to image

LEGEND ,
Sep 27, 2015 Sep 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, all,

On a personal project at home, I'm trying to use ImageResize to resize an image pulled from a BLOB in a MySQL database.  I'm getting an error message "unable to cast an object of [B to image."  Have not a clue what that means. 

Here's my code..

SELECT imageBLOB, imageWidth, imageHeight

FROM r_images

WHERE imageID = <cfqueryparam value="#arguments.thisID#" cfsqltype="cf_sql_varchar" />

and..

variables.thisPicQry = new components.PICTURES().getAlbumPic('#trim(url.id)#');

ImageResize(variables.thisPicQry.imageBLOB,"50%","");

variables.thisImg = variables.thisPicQry.imageBLOB;

I've never used ImageResize() before.  The data from the database is already a binary; so what am I doing incorrectly?

V/r,

^_^

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 29, 2015 Sep 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do I need to convert the BLOB to something else in order to use ImageResize()?  If I don't use ImageResize(), the picture displays, but it's going way past the DIV boundary (it's being used as a background image.)

V/r,

^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create an image instance first and assign the blob to it, then manipulate the image.

So something like this :

theImage = ImageNew(variables.thisPicQry.imageBlob);

ImageResize(theImage, "50%");

Are you just displaying this on a web page though? If so and the image are not huge in size, dont use Coldfusion to resize it, just use CSS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The images range anywhere from 160k to ~400k, so if resizing it can bring it down, perfect - less network traffic, at the very least.  This is for a "kind of" thumbnail - it's the picture that represents the album it is in, so I don't want to shrink the image before storing in the database.

I did try that, earlier, but it didn't work.  I'll see about trying, again.

Thanks for your reply!

V/r,

^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 02, 2015 Oct 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shouldn't imageResize() have at least 3 arguments? In any case, I cannot see what's going on with:

variables.thisPicQry = new components.PICTURES().getAlbumPic('#trim(url.id)#'); 

and

variables.thisPicQry.imageBLOB

If the name of the query is variables.thisPicQry then you could just do something like

<cfset thisImg = imageNew(variables.thisPicQry.imageBLOB)>

<cfset imageResize(thisImg, "50%", "50%")>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah it should have 3 arguments. I missed the last one off by accident when I typed my reply. Copy and paste fail!

If that is still not working, then why doesnt it work. What happens and what are you expecting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, things at work have exploded (new public site launched; it was showcased at a huge convention in DC; end of FY; end of contract, then recompete; frenzy of getting new CACs for everyone in my dept) and I haven't had a chance to breathe, much less get back to this project at home. 

I'll try that as soon as I can and report back.

Thanks, BKBK‌ and haxtbh‌, for your help.

V/r,

^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 04, 2015 Oct 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BKBK wrote:

<cfset thisImg = imageNew(variables.thisPicQry.imageBLOB)>

If I use _either_ "ImageNew()" or "ImageResize()", I get a blank.  Nothing.  No error message, but no picture.  Is there a setting in CFAdmin that needs to be set for this to work?  The DSN _does_ have BLOB/CLOB enabled, and I jacked the max size to x10 the default.

If I remove both "ImageNew()" and "ImageResize()", I get the image to appear, but it's over twice the size that I need.

V/r,

^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Grasping at straws) - does this fare any better in debugging: 

<cfset thisImg = imageNew(#variables.thisPicQry.imageBLOB#)>

<cfdump var="#thisImg#">

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it will.  I'm going back to my OP to make sure I didn't miss anything.  Hang on..

Okay.. I'm not sure if this will make any difference, or not (if it does, I've completely lost all faith in CFCs) (that might be a bit strong, I will be upset, though):

I have a page called "pictures.cfm" that upon first page load grabs (via CFC) all of the albums in the database; part of this query gets an image ID that is the album "cover" photo.

As the CFOUTPUT loops the query, there is a DIV that is supposed to display the picture from the database.

<div id="pic#variables.picsQry.currentrow#" class="albumpic" style="background-image: url('display.cfml?t=i&section=pics&id={uuid};"></div>

display.cfml uses the code from my OP to get the BLOB, and use CFCONTENT and CFHEADER to display the image as the background of the div.

Like I said, if I don't use imageNew() or imageResize(), it works, albeit larger than I need it.  When I add either of those, it breaks.  I am beginning to suspect that it's because imageNew and imageResize can only be used with cfimage.

V/r,

^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have some questions. How do you implement the cfcontent and cfheader tags?

<div id="pic#variables.picsQry.currentrow#" class="albumpic" style="background-image: url('display.cfml?t=i&section=pics&id={uuid};"></div>

There is a missing bracket and the URL seems suspect. Would it be an idea to use display.cfm to write the resized image to disk (say, as somePic.jpg), then do

<div id="pic#variables.picsQry.currentrow#" class="albumpic" style="background-image: url('somePic.jpg')"></div>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BKBK wrote:

I have some questions. How do you implement the cfcontent and cfheader tags?

<cfheader name="Content-Disposition" value="inline; filename=file_#trim(url.id)#.jpg" />

<cfcontent type="image/jpg" variable="#variables.thisImg.BLOB#" reset="yes" /> <!--- variables.thisImg.BLOB is a variable set that is the binary data --->

BKBK wrote:

There is a missing bracket and the URL seems suspect. Would it be an idea to use display.cfm to write the resized image to disk (say, as somePic.jpg), then do

<div id="pic#variables.picsQry.currentrow#" class="albumpic" style="background-image: url('somePic.jpg')"></div>

The missing bracket is because I manually typed the code (it's on another machine, and I got lazy) and missed the ending apostrophe and parenthesis; it's there in the actual code.

Why does the URL seem suspect?  I've used it successfully in other projects, as well as other parts of this project.

I do not want to write to disk, because I'll have to clean it up, later, and want to keep this as efficient as possible.  Disk I/O cost may not seem much for one ~150k to ~300k image, but when you're on shared hosting, it can really slow things down.

V/r,

^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 08, 2015 Oct 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wound up using CSS to set the background image size.  I'm not a fan of doing it that way, but I have not yet found a solution that will set that on the server-side before sending it to the browser.

If you can think of a way to use imageResize() and the CFHEADER/CFCONTENT method I'm using to display images, please let me know.  Thanks, haxtbh and  BKBK‌, for your input.

V/r,

^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your title showed that something was amiss. The error message, "unable to cast an object of [B to image", implies that ColdFusion is unable to handle images in this way.

Coldfusion may not recognize the blob from the database as an image. Incidentally, what line of code did the error message point to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When I first started on this, that is the error message it _was_ giving.  It hasn't displayed that message, lately.  If I remember correctly, the line number was pointing at the ImageResize() line.

V/r,

^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation