• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is Secondary caching fixed for CF10 yet?

Participant ,
Feb 08, 2013 Feb 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the CF10 release notes, here:

http://helpx.adobe.com/coldfusion/release-note/coldfusion-10-release-notes.html

One of the 'known issues' is:

3181617 - If second level caching is enabled in an ORM application, subsequent requests, after the application times out, may produce the following exception.

We are now at a point in our application development where we need second level caching, and the relevant bugs on the bugbase have not been updated in some time. The only workaround I found was to down-grade ehcache, but I'd prefer an official resolution if possible.

What is the status of this issue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2013 Feb 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Having the same issue as above, can we please get a status update?

Thanks,

Chong

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 16, 2013 Feb 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No response? This has been an issue for almost a year now and not even an update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is just a community forum, and is not either an official support channel, or monitored by Adobe. So if you wasn't to communicate with them, you're asking in the wrong place.

However they only ever fix stuff when doing a release, so you'll not see anything on this until CF11.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize it is a community forum, but it is not unusual to see Adobe people post here, particularly on well-known issues.

I am not sure what you mean by 'they only ever fix stuff when doing a release' as they have fixed numerous issues with hotfixes. What is your basis for this assumption?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 17, 2013 Feb 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would not count this as a "well-known" issue, but mileage varies.

Hotfixes Adobe release are almost always only for actual important stuff, which I don't really think this issue counts as. The basis for my "assumption" is that I've been working with Macromedia / Adobe for over ten years, helping them with testing during the release cycle.

I don't see this issue as being a target for a hotfix given it's only an issue when an application times out (this is based on what you say above... I have not researched it at all myself). And, really, how often would that ever happen on a production website? I'm not saying it doesn't happen (obviously you're experiencing it), but it's really a bit of an edge-case, surely? And edge-cases don't get hotfixed.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By 'well-known' I refer to Adobe's mention of it in their release notes for CF10, i.e. they knew about it, and also subsequent reported bug(s):

https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3327626

While I have been a CF customer since 2001, I do not work closely with Adobe so I will have to defer to your expertise there. When we enabled second level cacheing after investing considerable time and energy to implement it, our production server became inaccessible within 48 hours to our sixty thousand users. Perhaps we just got unlucky. Doesn't really matter.

To the extent that your point is to marginalize this problem as largely irrelevant, I would respectfully disagree. I have seen Adobe respond to what I'd consider less urgent problems, and while my opinion of what's urgent and what isn't is no more valid than any other customer, I take their inattention to this one as well as your matter-of-fact analysis of it as unimportant to be very informative all the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you're describing doesn't sound like the issue you first mentioned. Rob's description was very explicit, and only occurs after an application has timed out. You're saying you're getting it straight away. Are you sure it's the same thing?

How often does your application timeout? In a production environment, this would be "never" in most situations wouldn't it? And for an application that is so low traffic that it might time out, I actually question whether you're actually missing out on much by not having the secondary caching enabled. Obviously it's situation dependent, but the point is that this is what kinda makes it an edge case. And edge cases don't get hotfixed. That's all I meant / said.

Couple this with there seemingly being a work around: use a slightly older version of ehcache (I'm reading this off the notes in the second ticket you pointed me to), then... all the more reason for it not being a candidate for a hotfix.

You must note I'm not suggesting it oughtn't be fixed: it definitely should be. I'm just trying to mitigate your expectation of it being fixed any time soon. As this is very unlikely to happen, you should be looking at "plan b". Have you tried downgrading ehcache and see if that solves it? If so, is there any reason that won't do until they sort it out (which I bet you a pint won't be before CF11, unless they release a CF 10.5).

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mr. Cameron,

I am aware of the workaround and the nature of the problem.

I appreciate your time and attention but do not need my expectations mitigated.

We have a plan B, but of equal use to me is Adobe's response to this issue, or lack of it. They are fortunate to have people such as yourself advocating for them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second Aquitaine's sentiment, it is just not acceptable for a known bug to be broken when the issue for it is still kept as closed/fixed. we will likely go with plan B, but that is besides the point. All it takes is for a staff member to look in the forum or the bug tracker and open the issue, and say they are looking at it, yet none of that has happened since november.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And I fully agree with you. I'm not excusing Adobe's approach to all this - I think it's amateurish and nothing short of appalling customer service - however I'm just pointing out "it is what it is". My message to Aquitaine was really "you're wasting your time expecting anything other than you've already got, which is: nothing".

They're attitude to the bug tracker is close to moronic. What they do after each release - with any tickets still open - is to close them as "not enough time". Obviously in any sensible environment if one hasn't dealt with a ticket, then one simply leaves it open. And if a client takes the effort to ask "what's going on with this?", then they should react.

I am very very far from being a positive advocate for Adobe (just ask 'em: I am not popular with them at all, but I'm OK at testing stuff, so they keep me on ;-), I simply want to make sure the peeps here don't waste too much time asking for & expecting help from them.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation