• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Licensing issues for Coldfusion 2021

Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2022 Dec 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We recently purchased a Coldfusion 2021 Standard license with the intent to upgrade our existing CF 2018 installation - we have both a test and production environment.  We initially upgraded the test environment using this license, and then upgraded our production environment.  We removed the license from test, however, in our CF Admin on production, we were no longer able to access the page with licensing settings (we could click on it, but it wouldn't load).  We even reinstalled CF2021, only to have the same issue, and had to revert back to a snapshot of our 2018 environment.

Does anyone have any idea of what could be going on?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Matthew,

Can you please let us know the error you were getting while accessing the Coldfusion 2021 License? also, can you share the screenshot of the same

Also, let us know the steps that you have followed for deactivating the License

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ravi - thanks for the response.  There was no error when we tried accessing the Licensing and Activation page - it simply would not not load.  If there were any console errors, we didn't collect them (and can't now, as we reverted to a previous server snapshot).

On our test server, if I recall correctly there was a deactivate button next to the licence on the Licensing and Activation page.  We used that, and I can confirm that the test server is no longer using the license (it's in enterprise trial mode now).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a screenshot of the error, if not is it possible to reinstall it, if so please reinstall CF 2021 , you can select option 3 i.e Developer Edition if you do not want to install the Standard version on the test server, once installed, migrate the settings and let us know if you face any issues

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2022 Dec 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We reinstalled Coldfusion 2021 and attempted to activate our license again and got this error:

Screen Shot 2022-12-15 at 8.38.34 AM.png

We tried following the offline activation method, but got the following error when uploading the license file.Screen Shot 2022-12-15 at 8.37.38 AM.png

After applying the latest patches, we tried accessing the activation page again, and it was extremely slow in loading.  This is what we saw in the network logs of our browser.

Screen Shot 2022-12-15 at 8.57.37 AM.png

Eventually the page loaded, but we tried activating the license again, and continued to get the first error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2023 Jul 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi did you resolve this issue?

Are you limited to having one license per server environment?

So did you need 2 licenses one for test, one for Prod?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue was partially resolved, but there is still strange behaviour.  We're not using a license for test any more - it's running in development mode.  We were given a specific patched file (cfusion-req.jar) by Adobe which allowed our production environment to activate, however it's very slow to boot up and as of yet has not been rolled into the regular updates (we're still running update 6 on this environment).  We're working with Adobe on what to do next (ie. can we keep replacing this file whenever we run updates, will this prevent us from getting some security updates to that file, etc.)

It's worth noting that we have another full environment (test+prod) with a different license running on basically the same server setup and the production environment activated smoothly.  The only difference is that we never tried using the license on test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok thanks for the info. 

So are we limited to one license file per environment? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kenneth, per the EULA (which is in the cf root folder) you can use a cf Enterprise license on one machine for prod and another machine for test/qa/stage/etc. For CF Standard, it says you must buy MORE than one license to do that. The EULA covers it.

All that said, I don't think the errors and problems that Matthew had been reporting were about such potential misuse/unexpected use of the license. I suspect there were either configuration or networking issues.

Are you asking because you have the SAME behavior he's reporting? Such problems should not require reinstalling cf. I wasn't aware of this thread, which is why I'd not chimed in earlier. I could ask/offer more, if needed. 

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Charlie, you answered my question. I was just doing research. Thanks for clarify that the issue reported isnt related to missuse of license. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One last question, does the deployment type matter?

If its a test server should I use the Testing Deployment type or Production? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nevermind I found an older reponse from you Charlie with the info I needed 

Link: Re: ColdFusion 2021 Deployment Type - Adobe Support Community - 13934845

Again thanks for the assistance you have been a great resource to me as I admin CF at my company. 

Cheers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, it matters. It IS in fact how they regard that you are using the CF license within the instance. So if you indicated using a test server as prod, they'd want covered by another prod license.

BTW, after posting my answer (and before seeing your reply), I had tweaked my answer about 15 mins ago to add a link to the Adobe docs in cf license activation. Do check it out :

https://helpx.adobe.com/coldfusion/using/coldfusion-licensing-activation.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2023 Jul 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok got it. so if I update the deployment type changing it from production to testing in licenseinfo.properties is that enough. 

or do I need purchase a new license? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2023 Jul 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, as I'd said, "So if you indicated using a test server as prod, they'd want covered by another prod license." 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so updating the licenseinfo.properties doesnt undo me indicating the test server as prod?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's start over.

If you switch from prod to test AND you deactivate the license (in the cf admin), you won't need to buy another license.

If you left 2 servers having activated licenses, with one marked prod and one marked test, then you MAY need a license for both. 

According to the cf EULA, if you bought a cf enterprise license, you can use that license key on one server as prod and one server as test/qa/stahe/dev/dr. If instead you bought a cf Standard license, the EULA says you must be MORE than one license to use that key on such a non-prod server. 

Finally, if one puts NO license in a cf instance, that runs as either the trial for 30 days or the free dev edition. 

And I see I misread your previous/Jul 25 comment (which I replied to in my last comment) which is why I started, "yes". I should said no, as  I see now you're asking about switching from prod to test. But there's this additional point I just added of whether you left the license activated.

Again, see the Adobe doc page I listed for still more details. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Charlie, I also spoke with Adobe Support. 

Kenneth Hutchins | 08:03 PM
while running the upgrade I marked our test server as production.
Kenneth Hutchins | 08:04 PM
Once I realized this I updated the licenseinfo.properties. does this correct my mistake?
or do I need to purchase another CF Enterprise license?
Did you enter the serial key during the installation?
Vikram | 08:05 PM
I did it after the installation, but I marked it as a prod deployment. Because I was use to how the CF 2018 worked.
Kenneth Hutchins | 08:06 PM
OK, we can change it.
Vikram | 08:07 PM
Remove the serial key from the license.properties. Save and restart.
Vikram | 08:07 PM
Change the deploymenttype in licenseinfo.properties
Vikram | 08:08 PM
and you can use the same serial key on other server.
Vikram | 08:09 PM
ok
Kenneth Hutchins | 08:09 PM
how many non prod environments can we run with one license?
Kenneth Hutchins | 08:10 PM
1 ENT license can be used in 1 Prod and 1 Dev server
Vikram | 08:10 PM
Dev as in non prod, correct?
Kenneth Hutchins | 08:12 PM
Yes
Vikram | 08:12 PM
Thats correct

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't that the same conclusion on "no need to license" that I offered? It lacks other details (what about CF Standard? what about deactivating in the ui? and it makes no mention of the EULA--which relates to how you bought cf).

But you write as if it counters what I said. Do you feel it does? More important, can we consider things as resolved for you? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2023 Aug 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no I just added what they said to confirm what you said. 

Thanks again Charlie. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 04, 2023 Aug 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, thanks. Glad to have helped in resolving things. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation