• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

low disk space, remove hf-updates

New Here ,
Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My [CF_HOME]\cfusion\hf-updates\ directory saves all hotfixes. Can I remove the directories with the updates that are already installed to save up disk space, without messing up my production server?

I will keep the latest updates just in case off course but I am talking about the older ones.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Hi, guys. I tried to answer first thing this morning, but somehow the forums would not accept my comment. The "post" (submit) button literally did nothing (on multiple browsers and different devices).

Here's what I had written:

Short answer: yes

Longer answer: Each update's uninstall can only revert to the previous one done. So the oldest one you keep (and those before it) will be the oldest you'll be able to revert to (after reverting to the more recently applied ones).

For some folks,

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, ahmadm,

I don't work in CFAdmin all that often, so I cannot say for sure what will happen.  However, it seems logical that any of the update files/folders removed might prevent those updates from being rolled back.

But I would wait for someone like Charlie Arehart to chime in on this.  I'm just guessing.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would just save those directories somewhere else, then put them all back if you need to roll back. Presumably, this production server is being backed up daily too, right? After some period of operation during which everything has been tested to be functional, I don't see why you'd need any of those files at all.

Dave Watts, Eidolon LLC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Dave, I will try that on my local developer machine first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, guys. I tried to answer first thing this morning, but somehow the forums would not accept my comment. The "post" (submit) button literally did nothing (on multiple browsers and different devices).

Here's what I had written:

Short answer: yes

Longer answer: Each update's uninstall can only revert to the previous one done. So the oldest one you keep (and those before it) will be the oldest you'll be able to revert to (after reverting to the more recently applied ones).

For some folks, they may well be ok to only be able to "go back" one.

I'd argue it's safe, though, for most folks to delete update backups that are more than a month old, as they'd not likely want to revert after such a long time. But each org should decide for itself. And this is why Adobe doesn't delete them for you.

And I can help assess and resolve these things directly and quickly, via remote consulting, for anyone interested.

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2020 Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Charlie. I have tried out your solution and it works fine. I did find out you need to leave the updates.xml file which is read by the updates page in coldfusion admin. Otherwise the updates page shows you need to update.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2020 Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great to hear.. And yep, I'd been referring only to the folders for past updates, not the files in the hf-updates itself (though the older jars could be removed also). 

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation