• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need help with CF Performance Monitoring Toolkit

New Here ,
Jul 23, 2024 Jul 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, recently our CF server been having some performance issues so I was tasked to install the PMT for monitoring and troubleshooting. After installing and setup the PMT server on a seperate VM. I was able to connect the 2 servers sucsessfully. However, when I check the metrics inside PMT  dashboard, the stats  are all showing 0.

One thing I noticed is the metrics show up for a few seconds whenever I reboot the PMT server  but immediately goes to 0 until next time I restart the service.

I have tried completely reinstalling Windows and PMT server and the issue is exactly the same.

I have tried to look for some setup guide online but seems to be very limited and I cannot find anything that explains the full setup procedure incase I did something wrong.

Screenshot 2024-07-23 164207.png

 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The setup of the pmt can indeed be challenging. First, the pmt service and data store (which I assume you mean are both on the other machine) need to each be reachable from the cf server. Further, the machine in which they are installed needs to have several gigs of free memory before being installed...and perhaps may prove to need still more depending on the traffic to the cf server (or servers) being tracked by that pmt implementation. 

As far as the success or failure of that communication into the pmt--as well as the operation of its two components, those are tracked in the various logs for the pmt and pmt datastore.

And note that the datastore is indeed what cf talks to directly, so don't presume it's only the pmt talking to the datasttore.

As for the seeming brief ability for the pmt to show data before it's restarted, that could reflect either the pmt or more likely the datastore running out of resources (memory), which again may be reflected in the pmt and/or datastore logs. 

Hope those generic tips help. If you "just want to solve things", I can offer direct consulting help (carehart.org/consulting), but otherwise perhaps I or others here will be able to help based on info you may share, in back and forth over time. 

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2024 Jul 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charlie, 

I did try increase the RAM on the PMT/Datastore server to 32GB and it is still behaving the same. The CF server is able to ping the datastore with no issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing I want to correct is when the stats briefly show up it is AFTER I restart the PMT service. I did not restart the datastore service.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more thing I'll add: it may seem counter-intuitive, but if indeed the pmt or dataatore are running out of resources, note that FusionReactor could be implemented on that server (running those) to watch them.

FR is not just a monitor of CF (or Lucee) but indeed ANY Java application, including the pmt, cf's solr and pdfg services, and much more.

And it has a free 14-day trial (fusion-reactor.com), so there's little reason not to consider it, as a possibly valuable resource to find whatever may be amiss with the pmt and/or datastore. 

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2024 Jul 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some suggestions:

1.  Make sure you install the version of Performance Monitoring Toolkit (PMT) that is compatible with your ColdFusion version. Hence PMT 2023 on CF 2023, PMT 2021 on CF 2021, and so on. (Incidentally, what is your ColdFusion version and update level?)

2.  Before you install PMT, ensure that ColdFusion has all the packages needed to integrate with PMT. One way to ensure this on CF 2021 and CF 2023, in particular, is simply to install all the packages.

Steps to install all packages on CF 2021, for example:

(a)  Open the command prompt (CMD) as administrator;

(b)  Use the DOS command CD to navigate to C:\ColdFusion2021\cfusion\bin;

(c)  Type cfpm.bat and press ENTER. That should bring up ColdFusion's Package Manager tool;

(d)  Type install all and press ENTER. When ColdFusion finishes, type quit and press ENTER;

(e)  Close the CMD window;

(f)  Restart ColdFusion 2021. 

3.  If you google "performance monitoring toolset" you will find useful information on its installation. You will find the following installation guidelines, for example:

Here are further useful guidelines, once you are up and running:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey our CF is 2023 update 7, and PMT is 2023.0.0.330120

PMT monitoring package is installed in CF package manager, as I can see  it showing everything connected in the PMT settings page.

Screenshot 2024-07-25 100432.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The settings look OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to connect the 2 servers sucsessfully. However, when I check the metrics inside PMT  dashboard, the stats  are all showing 0.

By @Jimmy387770720y4n

Upon reviewing this, I am beginning to think that something is amiss. You say the stats are all showing 0. However, from the picture you've attached, the stats for Memory, CPU, Disk I/O and Network I/O are not 0. So, what do you mean by "the stats are all showing 0"?

When you have a typical ColdFusion application, the three main dashboards you will frequently look at are Overview, CF Metrics and Applications. So let's do a test and see what those dashboards tell us.

Launch several CFM pages. Their content doesn't matter. In fact, blank CFM pages will do. What's important is to get the ColdFusion application to run.

Then click, in turn, on the dashboard menus Overview, CF Metrics and Applications.What do you see? Remember to scroll each time. Can you please share the printscreens?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation