• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PGP / PKI email encryption

New Here ,
Apr 18, 2008 Apr 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wondering if there is a way to implement a public key infrastructure like PGP WITHOUT having to install PGP on the server. We are on a shared host and want to send encrypted emails to one single e-mail client (for collecting credit card info)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 12, 2008 May 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you are going to need to install PGP on the server, or some CFX or Java libraries (basically the same thing). I think CF8 has the hooks built in for PGP but it requires additional licensing and most likely, your hosting provider has not purchased these (it's a fairly heafty investment).

You did not give much details into why your emailing cc info but you may want to research tokenization technologies as some of these would eliminate the need for PGP -- tokens do not need to be encrypted and emailing them is not a security concern. We offer our i4Go product which tokenizes the cc information before your site sees it -- your site only sees the token, card type and expiration date. All this information can be emailed and the recipient can use this information to authorize and post payments. Our solution requires the later functions use our gateway services, other tokenization options will probably have the same restrictions. Check around.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 16, 2008 May 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are unable to install PGP on your server and are willing to use a single-passcode encryption solution, you can always use one of the built-in CF strong encryption standards (AES, perhaps) and then come up with a solution for decrypting the AES data on the client side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Although this question is really old, I think I should still answer this because someone else might come across this page for help. Well the short answer is, you can use any online PGP encryption tool like this one. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation