• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"General Error" with cfhtmltopdf after patching ColdFusion Server Enterprise 2018

New Here ,
Oct 14, 2019 Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our application has been successfullying using cfhtmltopdf for months now.  Following a patch installation last week, we're seeing an error but there is precious little detail to go on.  Are you seeing similar?  

ColdFusion Server Enterprise 2018

Error occurred while generating PDF. Reason: GENERAL ERROR

<cfhtmltopdf
source = "#rootFilePath#\inventories\#variables.DecryptedinventoryID#\#variables.SourceFileName#"
destination = "#rootFilePath#\inventories\#variables.DecryptedinventoryID#\#variables.TargetFileName#"
saveAsName = "#variables.TargetFileName#">

#ReadHTML#

</cfhtmltopdf>

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2019 Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you confirmed first there were 0 errors reported in the update's log? It's not obvious. For more, see:

https://coldfusion.adobe.com/2019/03/problems-applying-cf-update-check-first/

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2019 Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip Charlie. I've asked Henry to check on this but no response back just yet. Using cfdocument seems to be a good solution be it temporary or permanent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 15, 2019 Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, and you can/should also test whether CF can reach the add-on service (where CFHTMLTOPDF processing happens, but not with CFDocument). You can verify the connection in the CF Admin's "pdf service" page. If it can't reach it, then the CFHTMLTOPDF won't work, but yes CFDocument will (it does the PDF processing within the same JVM as CF, which in this case may be an advantage, but usually it's not and one of the reasons the newer tag uses that separate service).)

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2019 Oct 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Similar issue here, but I'm not sure if it's cfhtmltopdf since I'm using a vendor delivered app.  After applying Cold Fusion 2018 Update 5, PDF generation doesn't work in our app.  Uninstalling the update restores PDF generation capabilites.  In my case the patch was applied successfully.

Summary
-------

Installation: Successful.

3222 Successes
0 Warnings
0 NonFatalErrors

0 FatalErrors

At first I was seeing errors about not being able to connect to the PDF service but then I realized it was because the app service was started before the add-on service.  When I start the add-on service first, the logs show that it is able to connect to the PDF service.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation