• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rebuild of old server & location of licence key

New Here ,
Jan 27, 2020 Jan 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Prior to upgrading our production servers we wanted to test this process on our UAT server. 

But this server has not worked for years, and we cannot even fire up the Cold Fusion Admin page (gets a 500 web page error).

• Should I just try and re-install Cold Fusion over the top OR de-install it first to get a cleaner starting point?
  • If I de-install it, where can I find the licence key, as I don't think there are any remaining records of this outside of the code?  (it is ColdFusion 10)
TOPICS
Server administration

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would try to just fix the 500 error you're getting, because it might not even be entirely a ColdFusion issue and then you'd have to solve it again after the reinstall. When you access the CF Administrator, are you doing it through an external web server (IIS, Apache) or using the built-in web server?

Beyond that, I don't think the license number is available in a human-readable form in CF other than through the administrator.

If this is really a dedicated testing server, I think you can use your existing CF production license number on the testing server. A while back - I don't remember exactly when - Adobe expanded the scope of production licenses so that they could be used in testing environments. Of course, I'm not a lawyer etc.

Finally, note that CF 10 is no longer supported. The two versions that are supported are CF 2018 and CF 2016. So you might want to plan an upgrade at some point.

Dave Watts, Eidolon LLC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree about upgrading from CF 10 - this is part of what I am doing.

I am getting to the CF Administator via the built in web server http://<< server name >>/CFIDE/administrator/index.cfm

The error is : HTTP Status 500 - java.lang.NullPointerException, which various forums indicate could be a problem with Cold Fusion.

If the production licence can be used for Cold Fusion UAT server, that would be good.   How can I confirm this?

Although I cannot find where the licence is listed in the CF Admin screens - any pointers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say the "built in web server", are you using something like this from the server console?

http://localhost:8500/CFIDE/administrator/index.cfm

Honestly, as for confirming whether you can use the license number, my best hope here is that someone who knows more about that will pipe up and answer. You can probably search the forums or public blogs for more information. The license number is available from the "info" icon in the upper right corner of the screen.

Dave Watts, Eidolon LLC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - the admin logon page is accessed by that type of link.

And under Info (i), about 5 rows down there is a "Serial Number" - which I assume is the License number (the New License field being blank).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's the serial number alright. Are you getting that from the problematic server or the second server? If you're not able to get the serial number from the problematic server, you're probably allowed to use this serial number on both, as long as the other server is not used for production at all. At least, that's what it says here, and I believe this is correct:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/coldfusion/licensing-a-test-environment/td-p/8462953?page=1

Dave Watts, Eidolon LLC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation