Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SEVERE: The web application [/] created a ThreadLocal

Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2012 Oct 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking in coldfusion-error.logs I'm seeing a bunch of entries like

SEVERE: The web application [/] created a ThreadLocal with key of type [coldfusion.util.DateUtils$1] (value [coldfusion.util.DateUtils$1@6c59782f]) and a value of type [java.util.GregorianCalendar] (value [java.util.GregorianCalendar[time=1350663029000,areFieldsSet=true,areAllFieldsSet=true,lenient=false,zone=sun.util.calendar.ZoneInfo[id="America/Los_Angeles",offset=-28800000,dstSavings=3600000,useDaylight=true,transitions=185,lastRule=java.util.SimpleTimeZone[id=America/Los_Angeles,offset=-28800000,dstSavings=3600000,useDaylight=true,startYear=0,startMode=3,startMonth=2,startDay=8,startDayOfWeek=1,startTime=7200000,startTimeMode=0,endMode=3,endMonth=10,endDay=1,endDayOfWeek=1,endTime=7200000,endTimeMode=0]],firstDayOfWeek=1,minimalDaysInFirstWeek=1,ERA=1,YEAR=2012,MONTH=9,WEEK_OF_YEAR=42,WEEK_OF_MONTH=3,DAY_OF_MONTH=19,DAY_OF_YEAR=293,DAY_OF_WEEK=6,DAY_OF_WEEK_IN_MONTH=3,AM_PM=0,HOUR=9,HOUR_OF_DAY=9,MINUTE=10,SECOND=29,MILLISECOND=0,ZONE_OFFSET=-28800000,DST_OFFSET=3600000]]) but failed to remove it when the web application was stopped. Threads are going to be renewed over time to try and avoid a probable memory leak.

Oct 19, 2012 10:36:08 AM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader checkThreadLocalMapForLeaks

SEVERE: The web application [/] created a ThreadLocal with key of type [coldfusion.util.DateUtils$1] (value [coldfusion.util.DateUtils$1@6c59782f]) and a value of type [java.util.GregorianCalendar] (value [java.util.GregorianCalendar[time=1350667603000,areFieldsSet=true,areAllFieldsSet=true,lenient=false,zone=sun.util.calendar.ZoneInfo[id="America/Los_Angeles",offset=-28800000,dstSavings=3600000,useDaylight=true,transitions=185,lastRule=java.util.SimpleTimeZone[id=America/Los_Angeles,offset=-28800000,dstSavings=3600000,useDaylight=true,startYear=0,startMode=3,startMonth=2,startDay=8,startDayOfWeek=1,startTime=7200000,startTimeMode=0,endMode=3,endMonth=10,endDay=1,endDayOfWeek=1,endTime=7200000,endTimeMode=0]],firstDayOfWeek=1,minimalDaysInFirstWeek=1,ERA=1,YEAR=2012,MONTH=9,WEEK_OF_YEAR=42,WEEK_OF_MONTH=3,DAY_OF_MONTH=19,DAY_OF_YEAR=293,DAY_OF_WEEK=6,DAY_OF_WEEK_IN_MONTH=3,AM_PM=0,HOUR=10,HOUR_OF_DAY=10,MINUTE=26,SECOND=43,MILLISECOND=0,ZONE_OFFSET=-28800000,DST_OFFSET=3600000]]) but failed to remove it when the web application was stopped. Threads are going to be renewed over time to try and avoid a probable memory leak.

Oct 19, 2012 10:36:08 AM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader checkThreadLocalMapForLeaks

What could be causing that and how to resolve?

Thanks,

Phil

TOPICS
Connector

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2014 Apr 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Feb,

Not yet solved for me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2014 May 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still having this problem too and it's driving me nuts.  I don't know what changed, because CF10 was working fine for a while.  Now Coldfusion stops responding one or more times a day with a number of threads in the wait chain.  The only way to fix it is to restart the service.  When I do, I get the same error messages as others in this thread in the Coldfusion-error.log on startup:

"SEVERE: The web application [/] created a ThreadLocal with key of type [coldfusion.util.DateUtils$1].....Threads are going to be renewed over time to try and avoid a probable memory leak."

Some of these are followed by this error message somehow related to Solr collections:

"SEVERE: The web application [/] created a ThreadLocal with key of type [org.apache.solr.common.util.DateUtil.ThreadLocalDateFormat] (value [org.apache.solr.common.util.DateUtil$ThreadLocalDateFormat@a95aa91]) and a value of type [java.text.SimpleDateFormat] (value [java.text.SimpleDateFormat@5af7aed5]) but failed to remove it when the web application was stopped. Threads are going to be renewed over time to try and avoid a probable memory leak."

May 01, 2014 9:11:28 AM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader checkThreadLocalMapForLeaks

It seems like the number of errors is about the same as the number of scheduled tasks.  It doesn't look like any useful error, exception, or access messages get logged before Coldfusion stops responding.

My setup is a virtualized 2008 Win Server-64bit, Apache 2.2 (stock 32bit), CF10-64bit, update 13

I've tried: 

1. Various security improvements
  2. Searching for cfml errors or recursive code
  3. Adding RAM (8GB now)
  4. Pausing scheduled tasks
  5. Removing & reconnecting the server connector as Administrator as suggested
  6. Increasing the JVM heap size
  7. Using the latest 1.7.0_55  JRE externally

Next I guess I'll have to try reinstalling Coldfusion or rebuilding the server from scratch.  I have to say that moving to Railo is looking more appealing than upgrading to CF11.  This should just work without so much grief...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2014 Apr 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are still seeing the same problem as well.  We are running ColdFusion 10 multi-instance, and only seeing the server freeze up randomly in one particular instance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2013 Nov 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have this error too - could it be a problem with scheduled tasks being initialised on start up ?

The error seems to happen once for every scheduled task we have in CFADMIN.

We're on CF10 Standard which had an issue with schedule tasks after release ???

Nov 13, 2013 5:21:29 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader checkThreadLocalMapForLeaks

SEVERE: The web application [/] created a ThreadLocal with key of type [coldfusion.util.DateUtils$1] (value [coldfusion.util.DateUtils$1@7ce474af]) and a value of type [java.util.GregorianCalendar] (value [java.util.GregorianCalendar[time=1384362572889,areFieldsSet=true,areAllFieldsSet=true,lenient=false,zone=sun.util.calendar.ZoneInfo[id="Europe/London",offset=0,dstSavings=3600000,useDaylight=true,transitions=242,lastRule=java.util.SimpleTimeZone[id=Europe/London,offset=0,dstSavings=3600000,useDaylight=true,startYear=0,startMode=2,startMonth=2,startDay=-1,startDayOfWeek=1,startTime=3600000,startTimeMode=2,endMode=2,endMonth=9,endDay=-1,endDayOfWeek=1,endTime=3600000,endTimeMode=2]],firstDayOfWeek=1,minimalDaysInFirstWeek=1,ERA=1,YEAR=2013,MONTH=10,WEEK_OF_YEAR=46,WEEK_OF_MONTH=3,DAY_OF_MONTH=13,DAY_OF_YEAR=317,DAY_OF_WEEK=4,DAY_OF_WEEK_IN_MONTH=2,AM_PM=1,HOUR=5,HOUR_OF_DAY=17,MINUTE=9,SECOND=32,MILLISECOND=889,ZONE_OFFSET=0,DST_OFFSET=0]]) but failed to remove it when the web application was stopped. Threads are going to be renewed over time to try and avoid a probable memory leak.

. . . . . . We get 14of these

followed by 4 of

SEVERE: The web application [/] created a ThreadLocal with key of type [java.lang.ThreadLocal] (value [java.lang.ThreadLocal@194ad86c]) and a value of type [org.apache.derby.iapi.services.context.ContextManager] (value [org.apache.derby.iapi.services.context.ContextManager@6f4582b8]) but failed to remove it when the web application was stopped. Threads are going to be renewed over time to try and avoid a probable memory leak.

We're on CF10 Standard Update 11 ( it happened on update 4 too )  Win 2008,  IIS7.5  We're on GMT

It may be related but we have a very serious issue with the server not responding to flash remote calls under very modest load.

as follows - REMOTEOBJECT ERROR Client.Packet.Encoding Error deserializing client message. null

This problem started after a restart on November 5th ( GMT - first restart after the clocks changed ?? )

Could this be due to running out of threads / Mem leak due to the date error?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 19, 2015 Mar 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am seeing this too in a default installation of CF11 on windows 2012.

It appears to show up when cf service is started.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2015 Mar 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

FWIW, I find these errors showing up all the time in pretty much all CF 10/11 servers, and they have never seemed to be at all significant.

We could certainly argue that if they’re NOT significant that they should NOT be appearing, and someone could/should do a bug report for it.

But in the meantime, I’m just saying I’d not sweat it. Just my personal opinion, but I spend my days helping troubleshoot CF servers with folks, and this has never been an issue of concern, not once.

/charlie

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation