• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to Install any ColdFusion on Windows 10 (CF10, 2016, or 2018)

Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings,

I'm having a hard time all of a sudden trying to install ColdFusion on my refreshed Windows 10 machine. I've never had any issues before and all of a sudden, can't get the installation to finish. I've tried CF10, CF 2016, and CF 2018, all erroring out when starting the install.

I'm running out of options as I can't find anything on Google that points to a solution for this issue. I had this working fine before my machine was refreshed from Windows 7 to 10.

I installed java latest update of 8u231 and also java JDK 13.0.1, thinking that would help since this appears to be java related.  I'm not sure if i'm missing another java related files but this error isn't clear on what it needs to continue.

I'm including screen shots of the error messages from each ColdFusion version I've tried to eliminate any possiblity of version issue (CF10, CF 2016, & CF 2018)

If anyone has any tips on how to fix this, I would greatly appreciate it.

TOPICS
Documentation , Getting started , Reporting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Sure thing.

I didn't use this option 'run as admin' as it doesn't show normally. My co-worker informed me today on the shortcut to find this option. I had to hold down 'Shift + right click' to get the option to show up. I then typed in my other admin account to continue with installing under my admin account. One thing to note, even with using that option, I still got an error message saying it couldn't find the file even though the file was located in my download folder. I got around this by cop

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Given that you say even CF2018 can't install on Windows 10, I can confirm for you that the problem is not about CF (and that's why you're having a hard time finding more). CF2018 has supported Windows 10 from its release, so I mean that your problem can't be about CF itself, and OS support. FWIW, early installers of CF2016 and certainly 10 may have not originally worked with Windows 10, but later installers did address that.

I will propose it's also not about any Java installation you have: the installer uses its own JVM. (Indeed, the reason the installer would fail in the past when a new OS came out was more about the installer than CF itself, and specifically about the JVM it came with, which would check the OS version and fail if it didn't recognize it--even though technically it could have worked. Or the next problem people would have would be that the wsconfig tool would not recognize the later version of IIS installed with the new OS, until a new wsconfig tool came out to address that.)

So what's going on for you? Well, seeing as how all 3 screenshots refer to an error in a process of creating something, I suspect it's more a permissions problem on this machine. I know you say that the only thing that changed was that you moved from Win 7 to Win 10, but again that alone is not a reason for the CF installers to fail (ESPECIALLY CF2018, which never failed to support Win10). And I appreciate that you will feel that "nothing has changed about your permissions or authority", in this move from Win 7 to 10.

Even so, first, have you tried simply running the installers by right-clicking and using "run as admin"? Are you indeed an admin user of the machine? (BTW, being as admin does not mean that you never need to bother with "run as admin". Rather, it's for apps that don't know how to auto-elevate your privileges to RUN something AS an admin. Even being an admin, things don't usually "run as admin" by themselves--or at least not without popping up a UAC control to ask for our permission.)

Let us know your thoughts on the above, and we can keep digging if needed.

PS FWIW, I have CF2018, 2016, 11, 10, and even 9 all running on Windows 10, so there's no question they can run on it.

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. I was able to get this working as my co-worker remoted into my workstation and surmise it was a privilege based as well. He has admin rights and was able to get this installed correctly. Funny thing though, I contacted my IT department to grant me admin rights as well to install the needed programs for development. Having this issue occurred did throw me for a loop as I thought having admin rights would get this installed in the first place. Guess I was wrong 😛

Anyways, I'm up and running now so I can continue with my development now.

Thank you again for your feedback. Learn something new, as always.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear, and glad to help. That said, can you clarify (for future readers) whether you had indeed tried to use "run as admin", when things were not working? Or do you mean you could not even see that option, because you were NOT an admin at the time?

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sure thing.

I didn't use this option 'run as admin' as it doesn't show normally. My co-worker informed me today on the shortcut to find this option. I had to hold down 'Shift + right click' to get the option to show up. I then typed in my other admin account to continue with installing under my admin account. One thing to note, even with using that option, I still got an error message saying it couldn't find the file even though the file was located in my download folder. I got around this by copying/moving the file over to the download folder under my admin account, i.e. C:\Users\USERNAME\Downloads >> C:\Users\USERNAME(ADMIN)\Downloads. Once I did that, the install worked out fine with using the run as admin.

I hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation