Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to start event gateway instance: Event Gateway Service is not enabled

Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

In my dev box (CF 2021 Developer edition) I try to setup an ActiveMQ Gateway.

In CF Admin - Event Gateways - Settings the
"Enable ColdFusion Event Gateway Services" is checked (enabled)
and
- Event Gateway Processing Threads = 1 (as is the max for developer edition)
- Maximum number of events to queue = 2 (the max for developer edition is 10)

In Gateway Instances I added an ActiveMQ instance it was saved successfully, but in the table "Configured ColdFusion Event Gateway Instances" when in Actions column I click on "Start" to enable the new Gateway instance I get a message

==> "Unable to start event gateway instance: Event Gateway Service is not enabled."

I added and another Gateway instance of CFML type and I get the same error message.

I rebooted and in eventGateway.log it reports

"Information","Thread-24","06/21/22","14:35:16","","Stopping Event Gateways."
"Information","main","06/21/22","14:35:59","","Starting Event Backend Handlers."
"Information","main","06/21/22","14:35:59","","Initialized EventRequestDispatcher with a Thread Pool size of 1."
"Information","main","06/21/22","14:35:59","","Initializing EventRequestHandler"
"Information","main","06/21/22","14:35:59","","Starting Event Gateways."

After the reboot I tried again to enable the gateway instances and I got the same message.

Do you have any idea what's the problem and how I can start the gateway instances?

Thnaks in advance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One quick first thought is to make sure you've checked ALL the cf logs, right after getting that error. Perhaps there's more detail in one of them, rather than the one you quoted. Consider especially the exception.log, as well as the coldfusion-error and - out.log files. (And if on Windows, don't trust the date/time modified. I've seen that often not reflect recent changes.) 

But I have another idea beyond that. You don't quote the other resources discussing this, but it's clear you've read some give some of the info you share (and good for you).

One thing others have suggested for this--which you DON'T indicate--is trying to turn OFF that "Enable ColdFusion Event Gateway Services", and submit that page, then turn it back on and submit that change.

No, it's not obvious that doing this would help, but it did help someone (it seems, from my reading just now), and it would NOT be the first time such an unexpected change would suddenly make a feature "take effect". My sense in such cases is that sometimes some xml element in the associated neo*.xml file has a bad value, and "changing" it this way corrects that. This can happen especially if the settings were migrated from a previous cf version. 

Try it, at least (if you've not already)--and even if you did not migrate the settings.

And if you might, please consider saving off the neo-*. xml files in your instances lib folder (like cfusion/lib). Then after making the change you could identify what one changed and how it differed. (I find Beyond Compare great for that task, using its available "xml sorted" extension, that makes those nasty xml files much easier to compare.) 

Please let us know what you find or do, or if you (or others) find a better answer. 

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 24, 2022 Jun 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AX, can you confirm you saw these ideas and have tried them, mine and perhaps BKBKs? The more info you share, the better we may help.

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's see what's happeining inside the ColdFusion engine. To do so:

1) Ensure that 

"Enable ColdFusion Event Gateway Services" is checked (enabled)

2) Create a CFM page containing the following code, and launch it in the browser:

<cfset adminObj = new cfide.adminapi.administrator().login("your_cf_admin_password")>
<cfset gatewayObj= new cfide.adminapi.eventgateway()>

<p>
<cfoutput>Is the gateway service enabled? #gatewayObj.getGatewayServiceStatus()#</cfoutput>
</p>

What do you get?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the idea I've just mentioned, you could try to enable event gateway programmatically. As an alternative to the manual way.

The steps involved would then be:

1. Uncheck the checkbox  "Enable ColdFusion Event Gateway Services"; press the Submit Changes button.
  2.  Save the following code as a CFM page and launch it in the browser:
    <cfset adminObj = new cfide.adminapi.administrator().login("Your_cf_admin_password")>
    <cfset gatewayObj= new cfide.adminapi.eventgateway()>

<cfif not gatewayObj.getGatewayServiceStatus()>
    	<cfset gatewayObj.setGatewayServiceStatus(true)>
    </cfif>

<p>
    	<cfoutput>Is the gateway service enabled? #gatewayObj.getGatewayServiceStatus()#</cfoutput>
    </p>
    ​
  3.  Refresh the ColdFusion Administrator's event gateway page. Confirm that the checkbox is now checked (enabled).
  4.  Verify whether it is now possible to set up gateways. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2022 Oct 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@AXcrystallis were you able to resolve this issue ?
I am facing same issue, would appreciate your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation