Highlighted

Adobe Coldfusion Enterprise and Developer

Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where do I actually develop a web app? Enterprise or Developer? Do I need Developer?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by BKBK | Adobe Community Professional

Yes, I would recommend Coldfusion Builder.

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Adobe Coldfusion Enterprise and Developer

Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where do I actually develop a web app? Enterprise or Developer? Do I need Developer?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by BKBK | Adobe Community Professional

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 19, 2014 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the Enterprise (Trial) version. It exposes you, as a developer, to all the functionality that the Coldfusion development platform has to offer. After the 30-day trial period it will automatically turn into the Developer version. This version excludes a number of features, but still has the core functionality you need to develop applications.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 20, 2014 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So i don't need to develop it locally to deploy it on a server?

In Adobe Coldfusion AWS (Amazon Web Services) (Enterprise), I would develop it remotely on the server, right?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 20, 2014 0
Jul 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to develop locally on a development server and deploy separately on a production server. For large enterprise applications, you will need a third server, a test or 'staging' server. For small applications, especially where the budget is limited, you could run the development, test and production environments as 3 separate Coldfusion instances on the same machine. The risks you then take are obvious: mainly from coupling.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 20, 2014 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, how does it work with Adobe Colfusion on Amazon Web Services?

I access the instance / server and develop the web app there?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 20, 2014 0
Jul 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Adobe Coldfusion on Amazon Web Services, all the installation you will need has already been carried out by a third party on the cloud. It is prêt-à-porter and you're ready to go. You only have to pay on a per-minute basis.

Yes, you may develop and deploy your application on the cloud. However, I would prefer to develop locally.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 20, 2014 1
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I ask why you'd prefer to develop locally?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 20, 2014 0
Jul 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some cloud pluses:

Saves time and money.

Provides scalability, for applications that need it.

Provides practically unlimited access to data sources.

As this is going to be the actual production environment, potential issues and complications will be discovered and solved beforehand.

Provides freedom from the context, restrictions or bureaucracy associated with the company's servers.

Some cloud minuses:

Privacy concerns.*

You have only limited responsibility for your own stuff*.

You might have to do it like the Lone Ranger; as yet, few colleagues are cloud-savvy and even fewer companies can entertain the risks involved.*

Cloud provider might not move quickly to solve issues that arise.

Cloud computing is still in the Wild-West phase: perils may suddenly materialize; think of unexpected costs, changing terms of use, and so on.

* pertain to me

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 20, 2014 1
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry that I have to ask again, theres only the administration site! Where do I develop the web app? Adobe Coldfusion builder?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 21, 2014 0
Jul 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 21, 2014 1
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is it indicated that you are able to build web and mobile apps with Enterprise?

Maybe because the whole product family is meant, but why on AWS? Didn't get a serial number for Builder!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 21, 2014 0
Jul 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isoqa0 wrote:

Why is it indicated that you are able to build web and mobile apps with Enterprise?

Because you actually are. Could you let us know any difficulties you are facing?

Maybe because the whole product family is meant, but why on AWS? Didn't get a serial number for Builder!

I would only loosely call Coldfusion and Coldfusion Builder a product family. The Builder is a separate product, an IDE, used for developing Coldfusion applications.

There are differences in the way Adobe markets the two products. If you buy Coldfusion, you will get one or more Builder licenses, depending on Coldfusion version. But not vice versa. It is easy to work out why. Coldfusion costs thousands of dollars, but Builder only costs a few hundred. Another difference is that there are offerings of Coldfusion on the cloud, but not yet of Builder - at least as far as I know.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 21, 2014 1
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the development (Coding, etc.) meant with "building" an app?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 21, 2014 0
Jul 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 21, 2014 1
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so you can't develop an app with Adobe ColdFusion Enterprise alone!? You need something like Adobe ColdFusion Builder!?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 21, 2014 0
BKBK LATEST
Jul 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can develop an app with Coldfusion alone, but it will be tedious. In fact, in Coldfusion as in every other programming language, you may write the code in notepad. That is comparable to the beginning of the twentieth century, when the commonest mode of public transport was the horse.

Coldfusion Builder is simply an Integrated Development Environment (IDE) to mechanize, speed up and make efficient the process of writing code. Coldfusion is no exception. Java, PHP and .NET all have their own IDEs.

A popular IDE for Coldfusion, besides Builder, is CFEclipse. You install it as a plugin of Eclipse. It is Open Source, free.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 21, 2014 1