• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Amazon AWS CF 11. How is it?

Contributor ,
Sep 24, 2015 Sep 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am considering leaving hosting.com all together because of their slow response times in the last year or so to my issues and their upgrade paths on CF kinda stink.

Has anyone here tried the Amazon AWS hosting with CF 11?

Any pitfalls to be away of?

How does it perform?

How is their support?

Any advice here would be great.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Sep 24, 2015 Sep 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been using CF on AWS since m1 instance type. Running many CF payloads on m3 and more recently m4. I think CF on EC2 is a good way to deploy in cloud.

HTH, Carl.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 28, 2015 Sep 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been running CF on EC2 for over 5 years and never looked back.  As you've experienced, commercial CF hosting is terrible.  I didn't use any Adobe sponsored images.  Just built my own from scratch just as I would any other server.  The options on how big or small you want to go and the level of complexity can be mind boggling.  I keep it as simple as I can.

As another option, I also have CFML servers running on the RackSpace cloud.  They don't officially support CF (what cloud provider does?) but will help with anything else and performance is excellent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the replies. The 2 things that scare me are the $ and the support.

Currently I have this configuration with hosting.com

2 vCPU

8 GB RAM

180 GB HDD with full incremental backups

Windows 2008 64 bit

ColdFusion 9 Enterprise

MS SQL Web 2008

Cost monthly is $559.42 and there is unlimited bandwidth.

The way all the Amazon stuff breaks out you pay a little for this and a little for that etc etc. Just hate to move over there and then realize i am paying $800 per month for what i used to pay $559 per month for.

Did you install your own license of CF or did you use one of these?

https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/B00KVODI4A/ref=_ptnr_subscribe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

$559/mo!  Wow, that's a lot.

I use my own CF license.  Also, you'll want to make sure to use Amazon "Reserved instances" as opposed to On-demand instances.  For reserved, you pay upfront to get drastically lower hourly fees.  The amazon bandwidth fees really aren't a big deal.  I don't know what kind of traffic you have, though.  I run an instance on EC2 similar to what you describe and also pay for Amazon's RDS database.  Altogether, I'm under $200/month.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah that is definitely cheaper. Part of the cost is me paying for a CF license and SQL web license.

What do you do for backups on Amazon?

How is their support?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The RDS database does daily auto-backups for as many days as you want to pay for the storage.  You can also create as many backup images of your CF server as you want.  Just pay for storage.  For nightly script backups you'd want to institute whatever system your comfortable with.

I can't say I've used their support much.  Haven't needed it, really.  Sorry, no help there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation