• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Any ideas on how to get a software company to stop pestering you?

LEGEND ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, all,

I had a bad feeling when I registered for CF DEV 2020 that the third-party company Carahsoft would use this as a way to gather contact information to be used in the form of SPAM and cold-calling.  But I really wanted to see what CF DEV 2020 had to offer, and I gleaned some good info from it.

But then the SPAM emails started hitting my WORK email address.  Okay, they provided a link to stop the sending of unsolicited emails.  Cool.  But then the calls started.  I should have read the EULA; I would have skipped the convention.

So, for now I've got one of those cordless phones that has call block baked into it, and I've added the number that was displayed on my CID to the block list.  But this won't last long, I'm sure.

Any ideas on how to get Carahsoft to stop sending unsolicited offers?

V/r,

^ _ ^

TOPICS
Advanced techniques , Asynchronous , Builder , cfchart , Cffiddle , Connector , Database access , Documentation , Event gateways , Flash integration , Getting started , Monitoring , Reporting , Security , Server administration

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@WolfShade : Any ideas on how to get a software company [Carahsoft] to stop pestering you?

I think that this very step is an answer to your question. You attended the convention at the behest of Adobe. It's only proper that someone from Adobe contact Carahsoft on your behalf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Truly, when I saw ads for CF DEV 2020, I thought it _was_ Adobe who was organizing it.  I had no idea that a third-party was even involved, until I filled out the registration form.

But who at Adobe do I direct my complaint/request to?  Don't even know where to begin.  (thoughtful glance upward)

🙂

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kishore@adobe.com. He is the product marketing manager and he offers his email online in various resources.

That said, once you tell any company to stop reaching out, they should (in the US, per the Can-Spam act), and should not require "insider connections".

All that said, I have not heard of this being an issue for others, nor has it been for me. Sorry it's been trouble for you, but hoping that stays less rather than becomes more common. 

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Charlie, I really should not have been surprised at the emails/calls.  What's the saying?  "If the product/service is free, you _are_ the product/service."  I get it that Carahsoft has to recoup something - conventions, physical or virtual, aren't cheap.  But, still.. if I had used my thinking cap when registering for the convention, I would have used my spam address, even though it would have meant I would have to go out to my car to confirm the email (we can't bring any Personal Electronic Devices into the building where I work, and cannot access personal email from GFE systems.)

It may be the status quo, but I personally find it invasive and disruptive.  Kind of like the EULAs that force a user to purchase something or agree to something uncomfortable in order to use an app or service.  It's gotta stop.

Okay.. off my soapbox.  🙂

Thank you for that email address, Charlie.  I will reach out and see if there is anything can be done.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation