• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Anyone Ever Publish a ColdFusion API to Rapid API?

Engaged ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Back in ColdFusion 10 we developed a few APIs using the new (at the time) abilities of CF to publish REST services.  Fast forward to now and we're looking to make some upgrades in how the APIs are published and how we manage them. 

First we looked at the ColdFusion API Manager that Adobe began giving away in CF2016.  While this looked to have promise, we're running into issues with it and a lack of support know how.  So, we're thinking of going with a service more popular with the rest of the world.

As we've dug further, we're intrigued with Rapid API and publishing on their platform.  Going through the setup, there is an option to upload your OpenAPI specs to auto-load your API.  However, the earliest version of Swagger/OpenAPI they support is 2.0.  Unfortunately, it seems Adobe has let this part of ColdFusion languish without an update because CF only produces Swagger 1.2 docs.

Does anyone know if CF will be updating their Swagger/OpenAPI? 

Do you know of a way to convert Swagger a 1.2 doc to 2.0?

Do you have any tips/suggestions when working with ColdFusion APIs and Rapid API?

Thanks, all

TOPICS
Advanced techniques , Documentation , Event gateways , Server administration

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's an interesting challenge and set of observations. While you await someone who may have specific answers to each, I'll share a couple of points in the meantime.

I can see why one may want to have a CF-based REST API managed by a service like RapidAPI, and it is too bad if such a tool doesn't support swagger 1.2. (FWIW, the CF API Manager does support both 1.2 and 2.0, for use with things other than CF, of course.) And it would be nice if Adobe would update the CF REST feature to publish swagger docs as 2.0. Let's hope they may.

FWIW, I can say that the 500-page release notes for Project Stratus (the next release of CF) make no mention of swagger or openapi at all. That doesn't mean there will NOT be an update to it using swagger 2.0 (currently or before the final release in 2020 or 2021). I'm just confirming that I don't see mention of it now. Someone interested to pursue that could join the prerelease (it's free) and ask in the forums there. I have a post with more on getting started with the prerelease.

As for the CF API Manager, I would offer just a couple of clarifications.  First, Adobe doesn't "give it away" since CF2016. Rather, it's offered with a CF Enterprise license since CF2016. And I'm not sure I would really see it and RapidAPI as providing the same things (since you describe having tried it and are opting to use "a service more popular with the rest of the world."). RapidAPI offers a "marketplace" for APIs (which the CF API Mgr does not). And as for the RapidAPI Teams feature, it seems that the CF API Mgr offers many features for "managing" APIs one has, which seem to go far beyond what Teams does. But I will leave it for others with more experience using both to discuss that further. 

Again, that's not to knock that tool or your choosing to use it. Just a clarification that may help some readers. And again I appreciate your lament of the lack of Swagger 2 support in CF, for now. 

Finally, as for conversion of swagger 1.2 to 2.0, I suppose you've seen tools like https://www.npmjs.com/package/swagger-converter. It doesn't matter if they are CF tools (or know how to talk to CF), since you point them at a swagger doc URL. A challenge, of course, is that you would need to point tools like RapidAPI at such a converted swagger doc, and work to keep things in sync. Perhaps you have tried that? I don't readily find discussions of others having done it, but maybe someone else will chime in with more for you on that or other options.

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice one, sdsinc_pmascari! Please open a ColdFusion Feature Request. If you are short of time, just copy and paste your current post or refer to this thread. 

Let us know when you are done. Then we can vote for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Paul, did you ever sort things out? We ever heard back from you on the suggestions below. 

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation