• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Anyone using Jasper Reports or anything else?

New Here ,
Nov 08, 2007 Nov 08, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone out there using JasperReports with Coldfusion 8? cfdocument and cfReport have such a performance hit on our box when we try to run certain reports. IE - Report Cards We need something that would be able to run 100+ pages of dynamic data quickly and efficiently. If anyone has any suggestions of what we could look into or how to get Jasper up and running I would appreciate any help.

Thanks.
Becky
TOPICS
Reporting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2008 Oct 31, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever get any information on this? This is something that we'd be interested in as well.

Cheers,
Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2008 Nov 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah we have JasperReports running under ColdFusion 8. Although it is an older version of JasperReports (1.2.6 I believe) I don't see any reason why you couldn't run the newest version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2008 Nov 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no i have had no response at all and have really exhausted searches and other forums. like your responses most folks come up with the same problem but not a lot of answers out there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 30, 2008 Nov 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes we are starting to run Jasper within CF 8. The thing I'm working thru right now (as I type this) is that an older version of Jasper is embedded within ColdFusion. Specifically cfusion.jar. Not sure what Adobe is using it for, but I might have to run a seperate JVM to not have a library conflict.

<cfobject type="java" class="net.sf.jasperreports.engine.JasperRunManager" action="create" name="jrrm" >
<cfobject type="java" class="net.sf.jasperreports.engine.JasperCompileManager" action="create" name="jrcm" >
<cfoutput>#jrrm.getClass().getProtectionDomain().getCodeSource().getLocation().toString()#</cfoutput>

The output here will show which jar the class is being loaded from. I was just trying to get my code to compile before plopping the .JAR files around, and it just worked out of the box. The problem is the CF version is obviously older then 3.1 which is what I want to use now. So my reports are throwing an error when trying to compile them.

You could also look at using JasperReportServer and running reports via WebServices. The reason I can't use webservices is the report have to be already load into the server and we have many different instances of our app that would make that nearly impossible to manage. The webservices do include support for adding reports on the fly. If you are using this as a "simplish" in house application using the report server is probably the best way to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2008 Dec 01, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, the JasperReports included in the cfusion.jar is what is used for ColdFusion Reports (CFR files). Files that are used by the cfreport tag.

Second, we included JasperReports in our application even with the other version in cfusion.jar. Although our version is 1.2.6 it loads and we are able to run our custom code off of it. We simply place it with all our other required JARS in a directory that we then map in CF Admin to load. The ONLY problem and it's a big one. Is that we are unable to run our custom code AND ColdFusion reports because depending which JasperReports is loaded the other will try to run using it. The only way to work around this in my research has been using a Java Class Loader which makes me nervous and honestly I've suggested my company to stay away from it.

I honestly wish Adobe would give developers more insight into what they are using for CF Reports so that we can use it without having to include other JARs such as my case.

In my opinion, I don't see Adobe taking reporting seriously as there is NO documentation regarding what they are using, how they changed it, what are CFR files (Jasper files are simply XML, open up a CFR and it's not xml...is it bytecode or encrypted or what?). Because of this we are looking at technologies other than ColdFusion and I'm pushing to move away from it to a more robust language specially when it comes to reporting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2009 Feb 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If anyone out there has successfully integrated JR and CF together and would be up for some freelancing, we would be more than happy to hire some help for this project. We have been unable to get everything up and running and would welcome an expert to help guide us along.

Contact mgreider at gmail.

Cheers,
Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 21, 2009 May 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you still need this let me know. Have it incorporated into an app we are using, had to use Pyro_Jasper tag developed by Ben Ptacek. It pretty straight forward except when you have to tinker with the versions and have to look for the proper libraries, asides that works like a charm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 06, 2012 Dec 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I´m actually trying to configure pyro_jasper on Railo 3.3.4. But there are problems with the db-conncetion and the right version of jrxml. Which version does pyro_jasper expect?

Can you give me some hints, what has to be customized?

Thanks,

Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2008 Dec 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to Adobe. "Minimal support" is their mantra. It cuts directly into profits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation