Highlighted

API Manager Cache doesn't seem to be working

Explorer ,
Feb 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an API get request that returns a couple hundred rows with a dozen or so columns of data (one of which contains a paragraph of text). It's not a huge amount of data, but it's not tiny either. This data isn't updated frequently, so I set up caching in the API and set it to 86,400 seconds (1 day).

When I run the API from the RESTClient extension in my Firefox browser the first time it takes about 5 seconds to return back the data set. With caching set, I assumed it would come back much quicker on subsequent tries, but there appears to be no difference. I tried it 6 or 7 times after setting caching and it didn't change.

Then, I set the query to cache every 6 hours to see if that would make a difference. In theory, at least as far as I can tell, it shouldn't, because if the API manager is caching the response it shouldn't be getting back to the query anyhow, but this time it made a huge difference. Now the results come back almost instantaneously.

Given these observations, it seems to me the API Manager's caching isn't actually caching anything. Is there something I am missing?

The problem I had was that I set up caching in the caching tab (on the left) but I didn't realize I had to enable it for the specific resource. If you go into "Resources" and expand the resource, you will see a checkbox for caching for that resource. If you enable it there, it will cache the results appropriately.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

API Manager Cache doesn't seem to be working

Explorer ,
Feb 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an API get request that returns a couple hundred rows with a dozen or so columns of data (one of which contains a paragraph of text). It's not a huge amount of data, but it's not tiny either. This data isn't updated frequently, so I set up caching in the API and set it to 86,400 seconds (1 day).

When I run the API from the RESTClient extension in my Firefox browser the first time it takes about 5 seconds to return back the data set. With caching set, I assumed it would come back much quicker on subsequent tries, but there appears to be no difference. I tried it 6 or 7 times after setting caching and it didn't change.

Then, I set the query to cache every 6 hours to see if that would make a difference. In theory, at least as far as I can tell, it shouldn't, because if the API manager is caching the response it shouldn't be getting back to the query anyhow, but this time it made a huge difference. Now the results come back almost instantaneously.

Given these observations, it seems to me the API Manager's caching isn't actually caching anything. Is there something I am missing?

The problem I had was that I set up caching in the caching tab (on the left) but I didn't realize I had to enable it for the specific resource. If you go into "Resources" and expand the resource, you will see a checkbox for caching for that resource. If you enable it there, it will cache the results appropriately.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Feb 13, 2018 0
Explorer ,
Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 14, 2018 1