• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best practices - file sizes? CF Builder limit

Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2019 Jul 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a practical limit to file sizes?

Specifically .cfc. 

My entire application is using ajax saving, URL free screen rendering and I have 3 or 4 cfc's ... but each one is growing to over 5,000 lines of code.

Is there a limit to file sizes?  To what CFBuilder can handle.  I see CFBuilder slowing down.

I realize, of course, that CFC's never leave the server but still ...

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know, there is no straightforward answer to the question of maximum file-size for the ColdFusion Builder 2018 editor. Nevertheless I can aim for a good guess.

ColdFusion Builder's settings are stored in the configuration file located at {CFBUILDER_INSTALLATION_DIRECTORY}/CFBuilder.ini. For example, on my installation of ColdFusion Builder 2018, the configuration file is C:\ColdFusionBuilder2018\CFBuilder.ini. Its contents are:

-startup

plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.5.100.v20180827-1352.jar

--launcher.library

plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.win32.win32.x86_64_1.1.800.v20180827-1352

-vmargs

-Xmx1024m

-Xms64m

-XX:MetaspaceSize=32m

-XX:MaxMetaspaceSize=256m

-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true

-Duser.language=en

-Duser.country=US

-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8

This shows at once that Builder is a Java application based on Eclipse software. So I searched on the web for information about file-size limit in Eclipse. I discovered there is no limit.

Therefore my guess will only depend on Builder being a Java application. Furthermore, as the setting -Xmx determines the maximum working memory of a Java application, I shall consider it to determine the absolute maximum file-size.

But the software has other tasks to perform. Hence my guess that

maximum file-size = (1/10)th of the Xmx value

In my case, this would be

maximum file-size = (1/10) x 1024 MB = 102 MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, last year using the immediate previous version of CFBuilder, I had it constantly crash with these (5000 line)  files.

I also had it often, when opening a file that was already open, it would load two copies.

With the latest version,  04 February 2019, 02:53:05  3.2.1 I have found a practical limit of 7,600 lines.

It constantly times out with a spinning cursor.  Then the entire screen goes "pale"; which with the old version would then crash.

This one seems to recover.

So I have added some includes ... that seems to be a workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2019 Jul 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think size matters in this case. The size of the file, that is, what else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, that was not the most sensible comment I made ... lines!

The file size is 277k

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For laughs I have just opened a file of close to 100 000 lines (21 MB) in CFBuilder 2018. It lasted a blink.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not following your vernacular?  Blink?

Translate that into British English? 

You mean Builder perished?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha ha, you got me there. I now see the double-entendre. (In any dialect of English, incidentally). By "it lasted a blink" I meant "opening the file lasted a blink" (good), not "Builder lasted a blink" (bad).

Thanks for your remark.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 15, 2019 Jul 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There are plenty of practical limits to file sizes, all along the way from writing to execution. At one point, there was a maximum Java class file size. I don't know if that's still a potential issue. I would strongly recommend that you have several smaller files instead of one large file, as it'll generally make it easier for you to write and manage that code.

Dave Watts, Eidolon LLC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation