Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can CF10 Write XLSX Spreadsheets?

Apr 22, 2012 Apr 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know CF9 can't so I was wondering if this issue will be resolved in CF10?

I believe CF9/10 uses Apache POI underneath and that functionality (writing xlsx) has been there for quite some time (and other CFML engines, OpenBD/Railo, can read/write xlsx just fine. I just fine the new spreadsheet support in CF being borderline worthless since it only deals with the obsolete binary xls format which is very limited when dealing with larges amounts of data.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know CF9 can't so I was wondering if this issue will be resolved in CF10?

There's no need to wonder about it.  D/L CF10 and give it a go.

(Sorry, I'd give a better answer if I knew, but I'm not au fait with CF's Excel support as it's not something I really have to focus on.  But just wanted to let you know that if it's a serious question you have, then you are in a position to answer it for yourself...)

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I was looking at the documentation... and it looks like an exact copy of the CF9 documentation. So my intial thought is no... but was wondering maybe they just haven't updated the docs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I was looking at the documentation... and it looks like an exact copy of the CF9 documentation. So my intial thought is no... but was wondering maybe they just haven't updated the docs?

I would not be surprised if the docs hadn't been updated yet, as what will be released will still be in flux.  That, and the docs for CF don't get much attention anyhow... there's stuff in there that's been out-of-date since CF5.

I was more meaning just D/L CF10 and give it a go.  It's a 10min exercise.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can CF10 Write XLSX Spreadsheets? I know CF9 can't

Sure it does. For example:

SpreadsheetNew([sheetName, xmlformat])

xmlformat:   True/Yes:      Creates a .xlsx file that is supported by Microsoft Office Excel 2007.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That creates it, but how would you write it? Via CFFile? The SpreadsheetWrite() function only allows XLS format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The SpreadsheetWrite() function only allows XLS format.

No, as long as it is a CF spreadsheet object (binary or ooxml), SpreadSheetWrite will accept it and save it in the proper format. Just be sure to use the correct file extension.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 23, 2012 Apr 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well it worked like a charm ... I take back the jibber jabber. For whatever reason I thought we couldn't write as XLSX since the SpreadsheetWrite() function and <cfspreadsheet> tag gave no indication of that being a possibillity (except for reading one in).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Apr 23, 2012 Apr 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah, things are not always crystal clear from reading the documentation. When I run into stuff like that I usually give it whirl - just to see if it is truly unsupported or is actually omission in the documentation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation