• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I access a function variable form outside?

Enthusiast ,
Mar 08, 2016 Mar 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know much about ColdFusion yet. If I declare/cfset a variable inside a function, can I just access that variable directly from anywhere on the .CFM page?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Mar 08, 2016 Mar 08, 2016

If you set a variable in a function without specifying var then yes, the variable will become globally accessible.

Cheers

Eddie

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you set a variable in a function without specifying var then yes, the variable will become globally accessible.

Cheers

Eddie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As Eddie said, if you don't specify "var myVariable" (or, alternatively if on CF9+, "local.myVariable"), than the variable is globally accessible.  However, this is generally to be avoided as it breaks the principle of encapsulation.  Generally, a function shouldn't pollute the environment around it.  And not scoping variables to remain local to a function can result in race conditions or unintended behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation