Exit

Cannot change 'Request Limits' / Error: Cannot find attribute [maxThreads]

New Here ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Coldfusion Administrator CF 2018

Problem Description:
Up to Hotfix 4 OK but with Hotfix 5 or higher it is not possible to change 'Maximum number of simultaneous Template requests' in CF-Administrator/Request Tuning/Request Limits:
By clicking to 'Submit changes' the info will show: 'Server has been updated successfully' but the page refreshes with the old value. Same time there is an error in the server.log:

"Error","http-nio-8500-exec-1","01/27/20","18:14:27",,"Cannot find attribute [maxThreads] on resource [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.SocketProperties@50f4bdef]"

System:

With Linux or Windows and Developer Edition, there is no Error
Windows with Standard Edition --> Error (Same error on two different Systems)

CF10 was installed, CF 2018 Installed with Migration Wizard

-----

Server Product ColdFusion 2018
Version 2018.0.05.315699
Tomcat Version 9.0.21.0
Edition Standard
Operating System Windows Server 2012 R2
OS Version 6.3
Adobe Driver Version 5.1.4 (Build 0001)
JVM Details
Java Version 11.0.1
Java Vendor Oracle Corporation
Java Vendor URL http://java.oracle.com/
Java Home C:\ColdFusion2018\jre

TOPICS
Server administration

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've changed our license entry to Developer in cfusion/lib/license.properties (sn=Developer). After CF restart the change of the value of 'Maximum number of simultaneous Template requests' is possible and there is no [maxThreads] error.

Does anybody else have this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After changing license back to Standard Edition the error occures again. It must be a bug! Has anybody a workaround for this?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, someone has a fix. Have you not seem the response from Adobe, in the bug report you filed? They said (back on Jan 29) that it is fixed in update 7, which came out in December. You report here (and there) that you had this issue with update "5 or higher", but it's not clear if you have tried update 7. Let us know if that works

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reply! When i was submitting the bug report there was a message like "Error occured" so, i didn't realise that the bug report was submitted...  This was the reason why i entered it here.

In the bug report i was referencing to version 2018,0,07,316715. No, update 7 did not solve the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, and you will see that I chimed in on the bug report with confirmation that I, too, am not seeing it fixed in update 7. When I wrote my previous reply here, I was only relaying what I saw. But since then I had someone else raise the issue, and when I confirmed that it was not working for me, I added that comment. (I didn't think to come back here until now.)

Let's hope that with more and more of us reporting the issue, they will get it resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this issue totally destroyed our election night!  Only recently did we go to 2018 so were unaware that the max requests set at 25.  Within 2 minutes of our election results going live the server was offline! We ended up posting a PDF. We are even on update 10 and the request max is at 25 with no way to change.  We had CF2016 still on the box and we flipped back to it and it performed so much better! 500 max templates on 2016.  If this is not resolved we are probably going off ColdFusion. County management is so PISSED! For 18 years we have used CF and never an issue, now that relationship is in jeopardy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @Ripley Casdorph , I tried to privately contact you via your website's contact form (work order #146259) and R Aswege responded with "Completed. Resolution: Spam".  Could you please read the initial message that I sent.  Thanks.

I clicked on the "short survey" link in the email and my browser indicates that "server IP address could not be found".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

rcasdorph, I hear your pain and am sorry you went through such an experience. I would be very surprised, though, if any crash ("server offline") was really due to an inability to exceed 25 simult requests. There could be many reasons that CF could hang up, and very very few are "solved" by "allowing more than 25 simult requests". Still, I appreciate your frustration, and I guess you tried to change that value to "fix" the problem and found this thread.

So first, the problem remains, even in update 10--and only for those on CF Standard, not those on CF Enterprise nor in the Developer edition. It's solely a Standard issue, due in part to how it mistakenly tries to use the server.xml maxThreads value of the ajp connector, to display in this field (as I explain more in my comments on the bug report), which defaults out of the box to 500.

So what can someone do (besides add votes and comments there, to get Adobe to fix things, both this issue and that mistaken consideration of server.xml entries for this "max simult requests" value)?

You can just change the cfusion\lib\neo-runtime.xml file directly, changing the value for the "requestLimit" element. That really is what CF is USING, separate from what it is SHOWING in that CF Admin field (where it's mistakenly using the maxThreads of the server.xml ajp connect element). Of course, one needs to be careful editing such xml files. It would be wise to take a backup first. But then find this element:

<var name='requestLimit'><number>25.0</number></var>

Change that value, save that file, and restart CF. I'm afraid no CF Admin page will confirm the change for you: not the "settings summary" (which will still show the mistaken 500 value), nor the "system information" page (which doesn't show such admin values). But I can assure you that CF honors that value in the neo-runtime.xml, rather than the value from the server.xml which is shown.

I really do hope that Adobe will attend to this problem ASAP. If nothing else, it's causing consternation and confusion, if not also real trouble.

Finally, as for your outage, again there can be many reasons but a common one that hits people is getting an outofmemory error. Did you or can you check your coldfusion-error.log, in the minutes or hour before the outage, to see if it shows any "outofmemory" errors? It could have been a "heap" error, if you have left your newly installed CF2018 at the default heap max of 1024. Most folks need more. Give it a couple more gigs, at a minimum, assuming you have the free memory on your machine.

Or if you find that it's an outofmemory on "metaspace", that is best resolved by simply REMOVING the maxmetaspace jvm argument, as I discuss here.

If you had no oom errors, and no obvious errors in those logs indicating why CF became unavailable, there are still other possibilities, ranging from a need of web server connector tuning (discussed in this post from cf11 which is still valid today, though there are challenges with how the blog post is worded), to perhaps instead you DID hit the "simult req limit" but because of a hangup in something that CF was WAITING for (like db calls, or cfhttp calls, etc.) In that latter case, again, raising the limit isn't really the right answer: fixing what it's waiting for is. There are a range of tools to help spot when this is happening, from the meager "metrics" log, to the new CF2018 PMT, to the classic FusionReactor tool. (And consultants can help find and fix such problems, myself included, if you remain stumped even with such suggestions.)

But I realize that dealing with the outage is perhaps moot for you at this point--and you may well have uninstalled CF2018 in going to 2016 in your panic--though you could have just stopped it and left it there. In either case, I leave these things for you and others in this thread to consider.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation